LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dan Neil on the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 11:34 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dan Neil on the LS460

Have a look at this article, he dosent seem to be a fan of Lexus.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...-home-highway1
Old 08-30-06, 11:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default L.A. Times LS460 Review: Passion takes a back seat

Passion takes a back seat
Lexus' LS 460 has it all: seats with massage function, a fridge. It even parks itself. But will anyone love it?

DAN NEIL
August 30, 2006

IF you follow car culture, one of the first things you'll learn about the 2007 Lexus LS 460 — the fourth-generation flagship of Toyota's luxury marque — is that it has the ability to park itself. The car's optional Advanced Parking Guidance System allows drivers to sidle up to a spot, press a touch-screen button and the car will then glidingly reverse itself into the space, either parallel or perpendicular to the curb.

While others may report this breathlessly, you'll allow me a hearty, unstifled yawn. First of all, any technology that further enables the decline in minimum driving competence is untimely, at best. Second, the system requires that the parallel spot be 6.5 feet longer than the car (23 feet for the standard-wheelbase LS 460). I don't need a computer and a rearview camera to dock in such a huge space. A white cane and a Labrador service dog would do just fine. Also, the car takes forever to achieve this bit of parking prestidigitation. I'd be on my second latte by the time the LS finally put out its mooring lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
The auto-parking feature is a headline-grabbing gimmick in a car run cheerfully amok with them. For your delectation, I submit the count-'em eight-speed automatic transmission, a world first. Finally, relief for the deprived owners of the quaint and rudimentary Mercedes S-class, who get along with a mere seven.

Perhaps your tastes run toward science fiction. The LS 460 L — the long-wheelbase model — offers the optional four-zone climate control, which uses an infrared camera to measure backseat passengers' body temperature (and, one guesses, to scan for signs of incipient menopause). A fully optioned LS 460 L would also be equipped with 11 air bags (another record!), 19 surround-sound speakers, a 30-gigabit hard drive (storage for 2,000 music files with room to spare for the navigation data), and five powered sunshades, to tick off just a few of the car's supernumerary excesses.

What is going on here? Call it the anxiety of affluence.

As much as the Lexus nameplate has become the default choice for the sensible careerist looking for a well-built, well-priced luxury car, the brand still ranks near zero Kelvin on the prestige thermometer. You can cite all the ways that Lexus is a great car — best-selling luxury nameplate in the U.S. for six years running, perennially at the top of the J.D. Power heap in initial quality, vehicle dependability, customer satisfaction and return business — and I'll tell you that none of that matters. Compared to luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, BMW and Audi, Lexus has the emotional appeal of a public golf course.

Consider that in a survey of brands mentioned by hip-hop artists in the 2005 Billboard Top 20 (a rough but handy measure of a brand's aspirational power), Lexus didn't even crack the top 50. Mercedes-Benz was No. 1, with Cadillac (3), Bentley (4), Rolls-Royce (5) and Chevrolet (7) in the Top 10.

Meanwhile, the market for high-end, prestige-driven luxury goods is exploding: Donzi powerboats, dinners at Guy Savoy, Rolex watches, Angelo Galasso bespoke shirts. Americans spent an amazing/appalling $440 billion on luxury consumer goods in 2005, and much of that wound up in their driveways. Lexus' futurists expect the prestige luxury market — code for the aforementioned Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Cadillac — to grow 50% in the next five years.

For Lexus designers and engineers pondering the LS 460, the question was how to ride those coattails. How to make the company's flagship sedan stand for more than blithe and bloodless perfectionism and cut-rate luxury? How to make the most Apollonian brand on the market more Dionysian? How to engineer longing?

Seeking an answer, the company's marketers consulted with prestige luxury brands such as Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton. One thing they learned is that expensive is not the same as exclusive. Such companies typically offer a grand cru line, and these top-shelf, hard-to-get items drive acquisitiveness for the whole brand.

And so we have the Lexus LS 460 L, the company's first long-wheelbase model, which can be optioned out the wazoo — climate-controlled reclining rear seats with foldout ottoman and shiatsu massage function; rear-seat refrigerator; 9-inch ceiling-mounted video monitor. This stuff wouldn't look out of place on a Maybach. This will be the first Lexus that, fully kitted, will come close to the six-figure level.

Lexus doesn't expect many 460s to be ordered so extravagantly and that's just fine: These cars are essentially audition pieces. You could say the same of the hybrid version of the car, coming next year. With the Hybrid Synergy Drive all-wheel-drive powertrain stuffed into the car — for the life of me, I can't imagine where — the fully optioned LS 460 L will rank as the most technologically dense vehicle on four wheels. Also, Lexus is considering a performance division of its own, like Mercedes' AMG.

Meanwhile, the standard LS — still handsomely provisioned in mass-market trim — will run closer to $65,000 (pricing hasn't been announced, but will be announced sometime before the cars will begin arriving at dealerships in October).

The other factor in making Lexus a more emotional brand is styling. For the past couple of years Lexus has been promoting its L-finesse design language, a meringue-whipped form vocabulary that has appeared with increasing insistence on the ES, GS and IS cars. The hallmarks are a lowered grille, concave shallows along the cars' high sides, and diverging contours raked dorsally front to rear.

Here any tidy explanations of the new LS run out of oxygen, because a car that should have been an expressive and beautiful bit of dream-smithing isn't. It's not a bad-looking sedan, and it does have the look of the L-finesse avatars, but the instant I laid eyes on it, I was disappointed. Compared to the lyrical singspiel of Mercedes' CLS or the Audi A8, the LS is a dirge. Actually, it kind of looks like a Toyota Avalon with a post-graduate degree.

One reason the car looks so constrained might be that it is so aerodynamically optimized. The LS achieves an astonishing 0.25 coefficient of drag (with optional air suspension that lowers the car at high speeds). This is close to the same aero efficiency of a Prius. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more expressive elements of early design iterations were scoured away in the wind tunnel.

Here we stumble, again, on the tension between the perfectionist Lexus brand and the quote-unquote prestige luxury market. The prestige market is not about tirelessly fettling car bodies for better fuel economy. It's about building amazing looking cars.

So while the LS 460 should be commended for its fuel efficiency — its lightweight, super-efficient 4.6-liter engine and multiplicity of gear ratios give it class-leading mileage (23 per gallon) and ULEV II emissions rating — it's kind of beside the point. Prestige class cars light their cigars with hundred-dollar bills.

What's it like to drive? I only had a couple of hours in the car during last week's press event, so I want to return to the car for a proper road test. My initial impression is that it's fantastically constructed. For instance, Lexus goes to the trouble to hand-sand the body, twice, before final painting. And, per usual, the big sedan is deadly quiet and nearly vibration free (whether these traits are consonant with passionate motoring is open to debate). The materials — leather, wood, suede — are superb. Lexus buffs the leather for the steering wheel for three hours to give it a kid-glove feel. And yet, the central console, transferred out of the GS sedan, isn't particularly rewarding — more like a high-end arcade game. Currently, the S-class is the state of interior art.

It's certainly quick enough. Thanks to the relatively short first two transmission gears, the LS gets out of the blocks in good form. Zero-60 mph goes by in 5.4 seconds, about as quick as Mercedes' S-class, which has a liter's more displacement.

It's also large enough. The "couple distance," the space between the front and rear seats, is as much as 45 inches.

Los Angeles commuters will love the LS. In addition to the crystalline surround-sound stereo, iPod compatibility and Bluetooth hands-free phoning, the car offers XM's NAVtraffic service, which monitors traffic conditions in real time and will help you route around SigAlerts and delays. Also, the car has what's called Brake Hold function, a switch-activated system that allows your foot to be off the brake while the car is stopped.

As tech-y as the U.S.-spec version is, the one sold in Europe is even more trick, with optional features such as lane-departure warning, collision avoidance braking (the U.S. model charges the brake hydraulics but does not actually slow the car) and rear-end pre-collision bracing: When the car's rear sensors detect that a vehicle is about to hit you from behind, it activates the seat belts and positions headrests.

Yes, yes, a very nice robot. A gifted colleague of mine asked the perfect question: Will there ever be a Lexus owners club? Of course, the cars are splendid appliances. But will they ever be cherished automobiles like those of old-world marques BMW or Bentley? Yes, they can park themselves. But can they soar?

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...-home-highway1
Old 08-30-06, 11:43 AM
LexFather

ANother writer who dresses up like little richard in gay **** movies on weekends....

(Not taking away my quote or defending it-it is something said in a hilarious Dave Chapelle skit "the Player Haters Ball", some of you need to lighten up, it wasn't a serious or personal attack)

Last edited by LexFather; 09-02-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:43 AM
xioix
Racer

Sounds like he doesn't like new technology to me
Old 08-30-06, 11:45 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yawn...just yet another "soul" argument against Lexus. What's new?
Originally Posted by Dan Neil
What's it like to drive? I only had a couple of hours in the car during last week's press event, so I want to return to the car for a proper road test. My initial impression is that it's fantastically constructed. For instance, Lexus goes to the trouble to hand-sand the body, twice, before final painting. And, per usual, the big sedan is deadly quiet and nearly vibration free (whether these traits are consonant with passionate motoring is open to debate). The materials — leather, wood, suede — are superb. Lexus buffs the leather for the steering wheel for three hours to give it a kid-glove feel. And yet, the central console, transferred out of the GS sedan, isn't particularly rewarding — more like a high-end arcade game. Currently, the S-class is the state of interior art.

It's certainly quick enough. Thanks to the relatively short first two transmission gears, the LS gets out of the blocks in good form. Zero-60 mph goes by in 5.4 seconds, about as quick as Mercedes' S-class, which has a liter's more displacement.
Basically what he's really trying to say is that he loves it but just wouldn't admit to it, being a snob.
And yet when the new S-Class carries just about as many technologies, it's called a demonstration of true innovations and a gaint leap forward.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-30-06 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:48 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

"You can cite all the ways that Lexus is a great car — best-selling luxury nameplate in the U.S. for six years running, perennially at the top of the J.D. Power heap in initial quality, vehicle dependability, customer satisfaction and return business — and I'll tell you that none of that matters. Compared to luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, BMW and Audi, Lexus has the emotional appeal of a public golf course."

Wow, what a complete idiot... Is he also posting in AutoSpies
forums???
Old 08-30-06, 11:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Yawn...just yet another "soul" argument against Lexus. What's new?
Originally Posted by Dan Neil

Basically what he's really trying to say is that he loves it but just wouldn't admit to it, being a snob.
And yet when the new S-Class carries just about as many technologies, it's called a demonstration of true innovations and a gaint leap forward.
Old 08-30-06, 11:56 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

this writer is a crack-head.
Old 08-30-06, 12:02 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

The article does include a decent video demo of the auto parking feature from a good 3rd-person point of view though:
http://video.latimes.com/global/vide...oundImageURL=&
Old 08-30-06, 12:04 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

The article does include a decent video demo of the auto parking feature from a good 3rd-person point of view though:
http://video.latimes.com/global/vide...oundImageURL=&
Old 08-30-06, 12:22 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yawn...just yet another "soul" argument against Lexus. What's new?Basically what he's really trying to say is that he loves it but just wouldn't admit to it, being a snob.And yet when the new S-Class carries just about as many technologies, it's called a demonstration of true innovations and a gaint leap forward.
Yea he seems to like the car but poses a point that Lexus isn't a "luxury marque." Sorry smart people buy Lexus because they don't want to service their car all the time, don't want to overpay for some heap of junk with electronics and want a sensible car but want to ride in luxury.

That's the difference between Lexus and it's competitors. Lexus tries to make their cars the most affordable and the most luxurious. They slam in as much as they can with the best build quality and yet still maintain a reasonable price. I'll take my less prestigious Lexus over an overpriced money pit anyday.
Old 08-30-06, 12:22 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Default I bet he owns a Volkswagon Beetle

The first part of the review is this guy complaining about how bland and unexciting the LS is and the second part is the guy praising all the toys but not admitting it is awesome.

Some people can not get the MB and BMW out of their head.

I own a Mercedes and it is OK if you like racing around. If you like smooth luxury riding, then you take the Lexus.

I owned 3 ES300s. I also thought MB was prestigious and all that so when my last lease was up, I went to Mercedes. What a dissappointment.

The ES were nice. I can only imagine what the LS is like.
Old 08-30-06, 12:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default His objectivity proves that he is a bad liar...

People will have opinions about this car, but we all know that concrete fact-based evidence will prove him otherwise.

People laughed at Lexus when introduced in 1989. Guess who has the last laugh now...
Old 08-30-06, 12:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

prestige is another word for badge blinded
Old 08-30-06, 12:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmmmm...seems like this story is based on the very debatable subject of prestige and then continues to bash the LS because of that.

I'm a fan of hip-hop, but I cant believe he used that to support and justify his claims.

Quick Reply: Dan Neil on the LS460