LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 12:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?

Are there any of you out there currently cross shopping a brand new LS430, S-Class or 7 Series or even waiting for the new LS460?

If you are in Southern California please PM me.
Edit: This part does not apply anymore. This was actually a subliminal invite to our special 07 ES and LS preview which has obviously been done. See my sig for more details.

Thanks,
Ryan
CL Ed.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-06-06 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-18-06, 11:33 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm not in So.Cal. but by the end of the year if the LS460/600 is out we'll have one depending on how options play out on that versus the W221 MercedesBenz S-Class.
Old 03-19-06, 06:23 AM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the LS would be better priced and better in the longetivity and reliability factors than MB & BMW, but who knows.

If I were buying one of those 3, I would get the LS. Each car is different though.
Old 03-19-06, 12:54 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

If money is not a big factor, I'd opt for the W221 (S class).
Old 03-20-06, 03:05 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Well, we "might" replace our 220 for the 221. Haven't looked in detail but not too thrilled on the new S.
Just saw another one on the road today and must be the color or something but that front end looks pretty wimpy ( sorry for the new s lovers but it doesn't seem to have that presence anymore).
Guess we'll have to wait for the new LS. Brother in law has a 7 already.
Is there a particular reason for asking, flipside?
Old 03-20-06, 09:45 PM
m500
Rookie

Its up to you wither you're looking for performance, Image or reliability and if you plan to own it or not. I was cross shopping the same car with additional choice of Infinii M45 fully loaded. Having recall my pass experience with trips I have to made to BMW & Mercedes services for things other then routine maintenance, I finally decided to go with LS. This is my first Lexus and I hope this will be the starting of the great long term brand loyalty. To me the bottom line is reliability as I do not have as much time as before and this will be my wife's car, so I wanted something that will be quote "You set it and forget it" type of reliability. Once I reach this decision my choice was very simple, you can't go wrong with Japanese reliablity.

Image = Mercedes
Performance = BMW
Quality = Lexus

Lease = BMW (Free maintenance)
Buy = Lexus (Worry Free)

Best customer service experience = Mercedes
Worst customer service experience = BMW
Old 03-20-06, 10:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Well, we "might" replace our 220 for the 221. Haven't looked in detail but not too thrilled on the new S.
Just saw another one on the road today and must be the color or something but that front end looks pretty wimpy ( sorry for the new s lovers but it doesn't seem to have that presence anymore)
I agree, I saw the new S a few times on the road the past couple weeks, & I was actually a little shocked that I don't find it impressive at all even in person.
I fully expect to like it more in person, since most of the time, I would usually like a car more after I've seen it in person, but not with this new S. Even my favourite part of the car in pics, the front end, doesn't look that good in person.
Old 03-20-06, 10:41 PM
solarea100
Rookie

You will be surprised at the Lexus customer service. It is trully remarkable.

Originally Posted by m500
Having recall my pass experience with trips I have to made to BMW & Mercedes services for things other then routine maintenance, I finally decided to go with LS. This is my first Lexus and I hope this will be the starting of the great long term brand loyalty. .. you can't go wrong with Japanese reliablity.

Image = Mercedes
Performance = BMW
Quality = Lexus

Lease = BMW (Free maintenance)
Buy = Lexus (Worry Free)

Best customer service experience = Mercedes
Worst customer service experience = BMW
Old 03-21-06, 12:17 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Mercedes with the best?!
Dude I'd **** myself man if I read that again

In our experience, Mercedes is probably at the bottom with cusotmer service.
Old 03-21-06, 12:26 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I have not seen the new LS in person yet, however I drive a 7series and have also checked out the w221 S-Class. I see alot of similarities in the cars overall proportions and interior layouts. I know the BMW is a great handler out of the box, but I have not driven the S. I know the old S500 is faster than a 745, so the S550 will probably smoke a 745 (not sure about the 750 though)

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 03-21-06, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I agree, I saw the new S a few times on the road the past couple weeks, & I was actually a little shocked that I don't find it impressive at all even in person.
I fully expect to like it more in person, since most of the time, I would usually like a car more after I've seen it in person, but not with this new S. Even my favourite part of the car in pics, the front end, doesn't look that good in person.
i thought you said you saw it on the road and actually like it? personally i have seen several on the road and i felt horrible about it. it's pretty ugly imho and doesn't really impressive me at all (as a flagship). the previous gen was so much better

between all the cars, i will ONLY wait for the ls460 and see what it's like. there is no point in the ls430 now imho since the ls460 is coming out. the 7 is one very nice car (performance) but the look is just too much for me (though i am used to it already). the s is a total no-no to me at this point, even my wife says what's wrong with mb on that car
Old 03-21-06, 05:06 AM
m500
Rookie

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Mercedes with the best?!
Dude I'd **** myself man if I read that again

In our experience, Mercedes is probably at the bottom with cusotmer service.

These are all personal experiences and also various by dealership. This is just how my experience are with my local dealerships. I'm a new Lexus ownership, so I'm looking forward to a service that'll best my Mercedes experience.
Old 03-21-06, 06:38 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Not some fanboy or anything just becasue i am on the lexus forums, but I would go witht he new LS for the following reasons:

Reasons for getting a flagship:

1. Unmatched world craftsmanship in detail
2. True luxury and refined intoxicated experience in cabin
3. Vehicle flagship styling coupled to a sportier sleeker look
4. Technological luxury innovations
5. Mechanical engineering efficiency and performance
6. Vehicle reliability and build quality

When comparing the S, 7 or LS, the buyer doeesnt evaluate the money - simply becasue he has the money to buy all of them.....its about other factors, and those 6 are why I would buy the LS over the rest.

thanks
Old 03-21-06, 12:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought you said you saw it on the road and actually like it?
No I never did, definately not in person, maybe you have confused me with Gene on this
Old 03-21-06, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
No I never did, definately not in person, maybe you have confused me with Gene on this
oh that's mean

but anyway, yeah, the car looks horrible in person, that's pretty much how i feel about it

Quick Reply: Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?