LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Where is your Vais, Grom or Isimple?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 04:21 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Where is your Vais, Grom or Isimple?

Just curious. My Vais unit for the sat radio is stuffed into the cavities behind and beneath the center stack. I know that some store the boxes in the glovebox and Vais suggests keeping it in an accessable area for programming. That said, the center stack can be taken apart in a few minutes and I like the clean look without taking up space in the glovebox. I didn't want to drill but wonder if the units need more ventilation. Please share your experiences, thank you.
Old 05-06-15, 05:50 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

My Grom is in the center console area and I run a usb extension to the box under the arm rest. You can come in right below the 12v outlet hole and keep it really clean.
Old 05-06-15, 06:15 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I used to keep my SL2Vi at the bottom of the centre stack, but I relocated it to the lower glovebox. In the centre stack, a piece of plastic cover for the gear shift sometimes made contact with it and resulted in a click I could feel when moving the gearshift. I also had problems with the device that required reprogramming once or twice a year, so moving to the lower glovebox made it easier to get at. All required cables can be routed without drilling/breaking/modifying anything.

I recently fixed my problems with the SL2Vi by asking VAIStech to send me a new cable - all the problems I had were due to a faulty iPod cable. I had sent the unit back once or twice, and got my same cables back even though I told them I suspected it was that cable.

On that note, be very careful with the harnesses on the side that plugs into the VAIStech box. They are not built for even a minimal amount of strain or twisting, and wires can easily break or invisibly separate from the harness pins.

They also stopped making the SL2Vi iPod cable - I think I have the last one. If anyone want my defective cable to repair, or a spare of the one that plugs into the CD player, let me know.
Old 05-06-15, 09:23 AM
qball888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the isimple box this week. I left the box inside of the console under the cd changer, plenty of room there. Also drilled a hole in that useless little pop out trey and ran my aux cable there so it's stored there. Worked out pretty good as I rarely use the aux able.
Old 05-06-15, 10:40 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

In both LS's, the VaisTech MML is behind the front console (under/ behind the radio/CD) and the USB extension port is installed in the center glove box next to the 12 v. outlet.
Attached Thumbnails Where is your Vais, Grom or Isimple?-vaistech-mml-usb-port.jpg  
Old 05-06-15, 10:50 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
In both LS's, the VaisTech MML is behind the front console (under/ behind the radio/CD) and the USB extension port is installed in the center glove box next to the 12 v. outlet.
That looks great. Where did you get the usb extension port?
Old 05-06-15, 05:42 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Just curious. My Vais unit for the sat radio is stuffed into the cavities behind and beneath the center stack. I know that some store the boxes in the glovebox and Vais suggests keeping it in an accessable area for programming. That said, the center stack can be taken apart in a few minutes and I like the clean look without taking up space in the glovebox. I didn't want to drill but wonder if the units need more ventilation. Please share your experiences, thank you.
Hi,

I have a 04 LS430 and a Vaistech MML unit that I installed myself. There was no room for my Vaistech behind the radio no matter what I did, so I just tucked it up under the glove box area. I accessed the area by removing the bottom panel under the glove box. I wrapped it loosely with non stick mesh to avoid any rattles. I feed the usb wire up from there using a torch and flexible piece of wire up to the glove box and wriggled it through the little door/cover of the air cond filter in the glove box. It works well and no drilling whatsoever! The door/cover still shuts Just one thing - the clips that hold the panel in place under the glove box/footwell area were quite strong and I had to pry it with the largest flat bladed plastic trim tool. The clips are metal and I actually bent one or two when prying. I tried to re shape them and put them back on afterwards and they held, but were a bit loose and made a faint rattle every now and again. I just bought two new clips from my dealer $2, and problem solved.

Here's a link to the thread I made a while ago and I put 2 pictures on there:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...led-yours.html

Last edited by LEX ES300; 05-07-15 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-10-15, 07:13 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Put my GROM in the upper glovebox. I know a lot of people will be a little squeamish on seeing this photo, but I took a small kitchen knife to the glovebox wall and cut a hole large enough to fit the connector through. I plan later to put a rubber plug to block the hole.

The GROM is velcroed to the glovebox floor, so I can take it on an off if need be.
Attached Thumbnails Where is your Vais, Grom or Isimple?-img_4269.jpg  
Old 05-10-15, 10:45 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I installed my ViasTech hidden in the console below the radio, plenty of room. Ran an iPod cable behind the dash to the glovebox. Entered the cable thru the A/C filter door by cutting a notch for the cable at the top left side of the door and connected to the iPod which I put on the top of the shelf. Never touch the iPod until I take it out to add music or change the playlist order. Love it.
Old 05-10-15, 01:07 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tucked the iSimple module under the console "crossbar" support in front of the shifter and below the ashtray. The Sirius/XM module tucked up behind the radio and just below it. Everything went back together easily with no forcing and nothing seems to be rubbing.
The aux cable I (also) pocked out through the (nearly otherwise useless) sunglasses drawer. It's out of site and clean unless I need to plug in my smartphone
Old 06-28-15, 02:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bob04
That looks great. Where did you get the usb extension port?

Bob, here is the USB extension with covered port. (Sorry for slow reply. I didn't come back to this thread.)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...ture_id=398088
Old 06-28-15, 02:30 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the USB extension, give you high quality audio? Is it anywhere near AUX quality?
Old 06-28-15, 02:42 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

The USB extension doesn't affect sound quality. One end plugs into the VaisTech MML unit, the other is mounted wherever you want to be able to access the USB port to plug in your iPod, iPhone or flash drive / memory stick. (Because the MML unit is mounted behind the LS radio and is inaccessible.)

The VaisTech MML offers very high quality sound reproduction through the main amplifier of the LS using the OEM radio controls. Frequency response 20 - 20,000 Hz. Total harmonic distortion an extremely low .008% at 1 KHz. Signal-to-noise ratio is excellent > 94 db. Ultimately, the actual sound quality also depends upon the quality of the source of the recorded (or streamed) music that you play through the MML. VaisTech is what Lexus dealers install.

http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php

Last edited by Tom57; 06-28-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 03:14 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Bob, here is the USB extension with covered port. (Sorry for slow reply. I didn't come back to this thread.)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...ture_id=398088
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-15, 03:28 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Just ordered another VaisTech MML for the third and newest LS in the stable. I'll post a pic of the USB port install when completed. This one will be different than the other two installs.

Quick Reply: Where is your Vais, Grom or Isimple?