TSX-R Lens swap for LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-14, 01:32 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool TSX-R Lens swap for LS430

Hi guys,
My first retro here. I did a TSX-R clear lens swap for my LS430.

I have a video of how I take apart the projector itself since it was kind of weird looking for all the screws and where they connect, hope this vid can be of any help to who will pursue the same project.
Getting the projector off of the headlights was pretty simple.
Bake headlight. Pry open, remove projector by un-screwing the aim ***** on the back of the projector.

I enjoyed the job, doing a retrofit makes you appreciate your headlights a bit more. Now I notice my cutoff every time I hop in and out of the car ;D keep staring at the glare behind me when I leave the car.

I used 2 spacers on my TSX-R lens, I didn't have a power supply at the moment to kind of figure out how to achieve the best color band/cutoff sharpness combo. I just went with it, and it came out pretty good.

It was also very inconvenient having to run all the way down from my apartment and fitting the projector and aiming it on a distance of about 10 ft. You really need a power source to try it out or at least some very good and open space to see it.
Also, it was very very inconvenient that this is my only car for now and my daily driver. So I couldn't run my errands through out the whole day and I was pretty much stuck at home till I figured everything out.

The job took me about 2 days. (first time noob here, don't judge.
+ it a PITA taking the headlights off of the Lexus. Had to remove whole bumper. (( You can imagine having to put the headlights back on + the bumper in order to go drive somewhere real quick.)

What made the job 2X worse was that I have forgotten to write or mark down my aim. Hardest thing to is to aim back those freakin' headlights without a good clear open area.

There are 3 ***** on my headlights. Weather was pretty cold outside too, so yea, was not a good experience aiming the headlights back to where they were, and till now I'm not sure if I had them aligned correctly. Maybe just obsessing. I wished there was a button where they would just automatically re-align themselves.

All in all, retrofitting is something I think I will enjoy again, but I have to keep in mind to these 2 things, and anyone thinking of doing a retro has to have IMO.
1- power supply at home or inside a garage off of the vehicle.
2- wide and lengthy area ending with a clear wall or clear background to carefully check your cutoff and color band.

Here are some pics of my install, unfortunately I don't have before pics!!! Sun was out, and I couldn't take the car apart when the sun was down. So I just had to do it.

Overall, I think there is a huge difference from the OEM fresnel lens, TSX-R blew me away and paid for itself I think.

Also, a tutorial vid, taking apart the LS430 projector.

Will enjoy what you guys have to say.

I won't be taking anything apart again till I get my LS460-R bixenon projectors to fit in instead of the high beam in my headlights.

Enjoy it.

Last edited by KING; 02-04-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-27-14, 12:00 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another options is to take off a tiny layer of the OEM lens and have a perfectly clear lenses with the same focal point. As you understand the tsx was made for a completely different projector.
Old 12-27-14, 12:14 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

I understand where you're coming from, but all the TSX clear lens is,,, just a very clean and clear lens with no obstructions detuning the light output. The TSX projector has the same diameter as the LS430 projector. So there isn't a problem there.

We test that out by seeing both of the performances after the swap. We can see how good it is when it's placed on the amazing LS430 projector. The cutoff is very sharp now, and seems even brighter all around from the edges to the middle.

If it wasn't very cost effective and time consuming, I think you're idea is a really good one.
Old 02-02-16, 12:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow excellent retro and what an incredible difference! I'd love to do this but I'm way too scared to pop mine open. Get write up. Can't really click the video though.
Old 02-04-16, 12:55 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Wow excellent retro and what an incredible difference! I'd love to do this but I'm way too scared to pop mine open. Get write up. Can't really click the video though.
Thanks Dr. Jekyll, there is a big difference for sure. The light output increased and the cutoff line is sharp as a knife now.

I also retrofitted the high beam bowls with a Morimoto D2S bi-xenon projector. Running quad projectors @55 watt ballasts and Phillips 85122 Ultinon WX bulbs for all 4 projectors.

And all the projectors have a switchback halo on them (glows white, turns orange when you use side marker)

Opening up a pair of $1200 headlights is no joke, I feel you. But after you read a lot and do your research, you'l find yourself getting in and out in a breeze, not the first time of course. But research will do you wonders, I promise.

Check my build thread at HIDPlanet to see the whole process and steps involved. See if you think it isn't too bad and maybe starting the retro on your headlights!

PM me if you have any questions.

Clear lens:
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-modded-cutoff

Quad Projector thread:
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...i-d2s-bi-xenon