LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 11:24 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Are you going to a Lexus dealer or doing it yourself? My issue is that I have worked on cars for over 35 years and I think I may know enough to get myself into trouble. LOL. I have collected cars for many years and learned how to do most maintenance myself... If I do a drain and fill, I'll probably do it myself, because my Lexus dealer last month, told me not to change the ATF and that really gets me nervous. LOL.
I am having it done by a local independent mechanic, and plan to watch what he does.

Originally Posted by Gene01
Hi, Stu.
Please post pics of your old ATF, perhaps with a drop spotted on a white paper towel. It should be a great indication of its condition at your 96K miles. Also note what it smells like (e.g. burned) if possible.
Many '04 - '06 owners would like input on how well the WS ATF stands up over time.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by XJSFan
This would be great. I have 79K miles on my 06 LS and will probably do the drain and fill in a month or so, if it ever warms up here. LOL.
Sure, I will bring my camera and post it up for everyone.
Old 03-26-14, 10:34 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
I am having it done by a local independent mechanic, and plan to watch what he does.

Sure, I will bring my camera and post it up for everyone.
If possible, can you also take pictures of the drain plug during refilling? I think a lot of forum members would like to see it. TIA.
Old 03-27-14, 09:11 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So this Service Bulletin is related to the Toyota WS Fluid?

SB-0001-11 REV1 Lexus: information on an improved transmission fluid. *rm

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/tsb/lexus/ls...#ixzz2xBEL7idR

I'm pretty sure mine was never changed.

Edit: Found it! Guess it is. Link to .pdf and .pdf below. the bottom info is most interesting

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...63738703,d.cWc

* Important Information

• 100,000 Mile Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing

or changing during the life of the vehicle.

• The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.

The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible or substitutes

may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.

• ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

• Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should ALWAYS be sealed — If exposed to the atmosphere,

ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if used in operation.

• One time use only.

• When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use only

new, clean ATF-WS when refilling the ATM.

• ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid drained from the

overflow plug should be discarded following proper local regulations and never reused.

Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission

components.

© 2011

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0001-11.pdf (113.2 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by Marklouis; 03-27-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 11:03 AM
Stu
Racer

Replaced the differential fluid today. It looked clean after 96,000 miles. There were some metal shavings on the magnet that was at the tip of the drain plug, so the magnet was wiped clean, screwed back in and new oil added.

Unfortunately, this independent mechanic was unsure about how to refill the transmission pan with new oil after he drained the old tranny oil out, so he didn't want to mess with it. I was really hoping to get a drain and fill today, but I have not given up, yet.
Old 03-27-14, 11:49 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu
Replaced the differential fluid today. It looked clean after 96,000 miles. There were some metal shavings on the magnet that was at the tip of the drain plug, so the magnet was wiped clean, screwed back in and new oil added.

Unfortunately, this independent mechanic was unsure about how to refill the transmission pan with new oil after he drained the old tranny oil out, so he didn't want to mess with it. I was really hoping to get a drain and fill today, but I have not given up, yet.
So your car is still sitting at the shop because there is no atf in the transmission pan now?
Old 03-27-14, 12:16 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by doodoo
So your car is still sitting at the shop because there is no atf in the transmission pan now?
No. We were both smart enough not to drain it, because he was not sure how he would fill it after ....

Could someone please explain to me how new transmission fluid is put into the LS's "sealed transmission" ?

I saw is there is a drain plug on the bottom, so removing the bolt will drain it,
but I did not see how the new fluid would be put in ?

Last edited by Stu; 03-27-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 07:57 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
No. We were both smart enough not to drain it, because he was not sure how he would fill it after ....

Could someone please explain to me how new transmission fluid is put into the LS's "sealed transmission" ?

I saw is there is a drain plug on the bottom, so removing the bolt will drain it,
but I did not see how the new fluid would be put in ?
There is a drain plug, overflow plug, AND a fill plug (hidden behind a cover that can be removed by 2 bolts).

See pictures I posted in this thread.
Old 03-27-14, 08:05 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
There is a drain plug, overflow plug, AND a fill plug (hidden behind a cover that can be removed by 2 bolts).

See pictures I posted in this thread.
Thanks, but there was no cover on my car to remove. It's an US made '05 LS430
I looked at the pictures in that thread .... does the transmission need to be removed to see this cover and remove it ?
Old 03-27-14, 09:21 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Thanks, but there was no cover on my car to remove. It's an US made '05 LS430
I looked at the pictures in that thread .... does the transmission need to be removed to see this cover and remove it ?
Interesting...I haven't seen it myself so I am going to reply on you and others to find out. I will be changing engine oil in a month or so. I will try to find it then.