LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stuck on what to do with my ULTRA!! HELP ME DECIDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 11:01 AM
tjwashow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck on what to do with my ULTRA!! HELP ME DECIDE

So my lexus is in need of repair, it has 142k miles on it. its an ULTRA and its nice inside. It needs somethings mechanically done. If you could tell me what i should do with, trade it sell it fix it and keep it? I will list what it needs and any input would be appreciate it.

valve cover seals- $20 in parts, not sure about the labor

cat convertor- 157 off Rock Auto labor not sure(maybe 50-100 at meximuffler shop)

ABS/VSC code 43- UNSURE WHAT THE CODE IS FOR i think its for zero point calibration undone. if sonmeone can tell me what it costs to replace or reset this.

Alignment-$100

Left front wheel bearing- $150 has a weird vibration while braking- already replaced rotors and pads.

Hook up rear sub-free

Replace front door speakers- 100 in aftermarket speakers, free if i do it my self for labor

needs new change tray under the mirror switch, also the lights sometimes dont work on that same switch.

New nav disc as well- 150

Also if someone is local in joliet/xchicago area i will pay to have you fix my car if you can help me out for cheap. Or if you know of any shops that wont rape me let me know. i am just looking to see how much this will all cost and if its worht keeping the car.

I bought the car for 8500 with 130k on it, I owe like 8200 on it now. There were some taxes that were in the loan initially. I am too upside down to trade in.

Last edited by tjwashow; 02-28-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 11:05 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesn't seem like too many problems and the interior is nice I'd say keep it.
Old 02-28-14, 12:00 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The repairs/costs you listed are laughably negligible for someone who owns a luxury car. Just fix the car and learn your lesson about buying stuff you can't afford to own.
Old 02-28-14, 12:09 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

campisi you my friend are not very helpful. Does anyone know where to get a good deal on the valve cover seal install?

I would just like some words of encouragement, somewhere along the lines of "GO for it and fix it, youll love the car again!" or "Those repairs are not hard, just do it"

And if i were to take this to a lexus dealer to fix, It would be easily 2500 worth of **** to fix. And I dont bend over for dealers service department if i dont have to.

Last edited by tjwashow; 02-28-14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 12:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Check out Yelp.com Look for Toyota / Lexus mechanics or under automobile mechanics in general. The site usually gives extensive user reviews and can help you find a local trustworthy mechanic.

Considering the problems are not too major I would fix it and keep the car.
Old 02-28-14, 12:34 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

Lavrishevo-

Thank you for directing me to yelp, I uise them often for food, never thought about it for mechanics!

I am getting a parts list together as we speak to order the parts.
Old 02-28-14, 12:48 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would find a good mechanic and get it fixed. It really does not sound like it will be too costly to repair. These cars will go forever if you maintain them and use GOOD mechanics. Good luck with your decision. .
Old 02-28-14, 01:19 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What year is the car? Also are you sure thats everything that needs repair? Has the timing belt been changed? Since you're doing all these repairs I would just make sure I covered everything and while at it might as well do some maintenance/service type items too.

Pretty much everything listed besides the alignment can be done DIY if you are a little handy and do your research first.
Old 02-28-14, 01:22 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

in regards to the valve cover gasket: the labor from my local SoCal mechanic is a bit more extensive due to having to some of the physical "barriers" to uncover both valve cover gaskets. I believe he quoted me $300 for the labor though he stated he would install spark plugs at the same time without any additional charge. I highly recommend that you swap out the plugs while doing the valve cover gasket replacement. Many members have stated that the VC gasket is not an urgent item but more annoying especially if it starts dripping on the exhaust causing the burning oil smell as well as having to check/refill the oil level a bit more frequently.

I would call around for a 4 wheel alignment. I've been quoted from 55-100 for an alignment job. They usually come with a minimum of a 6 month warranty. I.e. go back before 6 months and get it realigned for free.

Wheel hub bearings are a bit more expensive for OEM but i'd go with geniune parts. the labor from my understanding seems pretty straightforward. only a little more work than a brake rotor job.
Old 02-28-14, 01:28 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly it doesnt sound like much to fix but when you have all those problems at once it can be a lil much on the plate. if i was in your position, i would have several local mechanics take a look on the abs/vsc, valve cover seals, and hub bearings.

all the other stuff is minor and can wait sense it doesnt effect the car's driveability. also nav disk on cragslist is like $30 and alignment shouldnt be more than $60. speakers, subs, running an amp kit.. all that can be done on your own.

let me tell you this though... once all of that stuff is fixed you would appreciate the car again and kick yourself for even contemplating of selling it.
Old 02-28-14, 03:39 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

The repairs mentioned don't seem like much. I know it may see overwhelming, but for a moment, just think of the other side. What other car could you purchase that will give you the long term enjoyment? The repairs mentioned could happen to any other car, be more expensive to repair, and may not be as great as your current car. If you have been happy with it so far, know that you can still be happy. I can tell you that anyone would love to get your car with those repairs at a good price. Once fixed, the car will live a long life. Think twice before letting it go. You will regret it. "Just saying.........."
Old 03-02-14, 04:03 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

These items are no reason to start over on a whole new car loan and especially going into one with negative equity on top. Any car will require some type of maitanence regardless of age/make. Just fix the car you wont find a nicer one in the price range that you paid. Plus you either just started that car loan or have really bad credit if you only got is down $300 since you bought it.

These items that need fixed are nothing compared to the damage you'll have to clean up if you try getting into another car loan. It may actually be really hard to get approved for a $8200 loan pay off plus another $10k+ unless you want to finance a 2007 accord for like $30k lol. Numbers scewed but describes ur situation in a nutshell.

Just fix her up you'll appreciate it later.

Alignment $60 here
2 cats installed $280
Gaskets $20 diy
ABS check your sensors
Wheel bearings ... Check your shims first. But the same shop that does alignement should be able to adress your bearings.
Speakers and nav hit the back burner and def DIY. Get ur disc off Sewell

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 03-02-14 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 06:13 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by campisi
The repairs/costs you listed are laughably negligible for someone who owns a luxury car. Just fix the car and learn your lesson about buying stuff you can't afford to own.
sounds harsh....

but I agree
Old 03-02-14, 07:40 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds harsh....
but I agree
that makes two of us.......the original question is rediculous no matter how you break it down. All of the repairs are general maintenance items........and you would need to repair it in order to sell it for anywhere close to what you owe......thus a rediculous question.
Old 03-02-14, 10:18 PM
alamberth
Driver School Candidate

tjwashow - I moved from that area not too long ago, I had a great mechanic who I used for 20 years. PM me if you'd like his info, he's close to I80 & Rt45. I'm currently looking for a new mechanic down south...hardest part about the move finding someone I can trust with the cars.

Quick Reply: Stuck on what to do with my ULTRA!! HELP ME DECIDE