LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rough ride - LCA bushings, tires or none of the above?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 10:07 AM
Cmoguer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride - LCA bushings, tires or none of the above?

Hi everyone,
Wanted to get others opinion on this. I purchased a 2004 LS with 126K in June. Since I had driven a bunch of others before I settled on this one, I was more concerned with overall mechanical condition vs taking it on a extended test drive, so like a fool, I didn't. Since purchasing it, I have noticed the ride is relatively rough. I've brought in in to two Lexus certified mechanics (no dealer yet) to have the suspension checked out etc and they tell me that everything is fine with it except it the lower control arm bushing need replacing. I've scoured the threads in this forum and the consensus seems to me that LCA bushings would not necessarily result in a rough ride. There are no loud sounds when turning which as I understand is a classic symptom of the bushings needing replacement. When I say it is a rough wide, what I mean is that I feel every bump in the road which I recall that others I test drove were smoother riding etc.

The car has Yokahoma's T-rated tires. Both mechanics attribute the bad ride to the tires with one mechanic stating that that the "T" in the rating should stand for TERRIBLE. The tires are basically brand new and although I know that the brand is not top of the line, I don't want to spend a gran on new tires only to find out that is not the problem. What do you all think? THE LCA contributing and possible cause or the tires really that bad? Obviously I will get the LCA bushings replaced if they need it but since I have no symptoms other than the rough ride, I would rather space out the repair if it will not help this issue since I expect to drive no more than 6K annually.

The checks on the suspension have been visual with both mechanics telling me there are no suspension leaks etc and all appears to be in order. Is that enough to evaluate? Any thoughts very much appreciated. I will do what is needed but I rather not experiment to the tunes of $700-1000 a pop. The tires have been forced road balance for what it's worth and the car is very sound mechanically otherwise.

Thank you for any advice/thoughts.

Last edited by Cmoguer; 11-12-13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 12:14 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

which LCA bushings need replacing? The forward ones or the rearward, fluid-filled ones? If it's the forward ones then you have to replace the entire arm.
Old 11-12-13, 12:28 PM
Cmoguer
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for not being clearer. The front ones are the ones in question. Funny, neither mechanic quoted more more than the bushings although one stated that while he was there, he may as well do the arms as well and avoid the work later. Maybe I should bring to a dealer. So --- with that being the case, do you think it is contributing to the bad ride?
Old 11-12-13, 02:16 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my front (integral) lower control arms bushings look slightly cracked on both sides, but my ride is still silky smooth.
i'd say try other tires.
Old 11-12-13, 02:24 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

If you can try a set of different tires do that. Tires can have a big affect on ride quality. When I switched from Hankooks to Nittos my ride got a lot rougher.
Old 11-12-13, 03:42 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Tires make a huge difference on every car. Make a switch and try to sell the ones you have on the car to make up some of the money you spent on the new ones.
Old 11-12-13, 03:50 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Does it have larger than stock rims? That can really make a ride rough, even on a smooth riding car like an LS. Or are the tires lower profile?

I doubt the lower control arm bushings are responsible for the car riding rough unless it was just completely destroyed.

Some places stock used tires, maybe work something out so you can try them out? The fact that a tire is "T" rated shouldn't automatically mean it rides rough, if anything , the higher up you go for the speed rating, usually it rides rougher. A T rated tire is lower than what came with it at the factory.

I will say, almost all my experiences with Yokohoma tires have been bad, which is unusual considering it's a Japanese brand.
Old 11-13-13, 04:44 AM
Cmoguer
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I guess that I will try a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 as they are highly recommended in this forum and seems to be what everyone is pointing to.

In response to Bradtank, the rims are stock 17" and standard profile tires. Tire pressure has been varied for testing between 30-35 psi.

I'll update thread once I replace. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-13-13, 06:29 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Michelin Primacy MXV4s
Old 11-13-13, 08:44 AM
Prochamber
Driver

+2 on the Michelin Primacy MXV4s. They are some excellent tires for luxury sedans. I have them on my '87 Mercedes 420 SEL and it rides great in all types of weather. Later!
Old 11-13-13, 08:54 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I once bought Z-rated Federal SS595 (or something). Thought it's gonna be nice on LS.
I was wrong - only was able to drive on them for a day. TOO HARSH, bumpy, steering became hard, dog tracking etcetcetc. Sold and went back to soft all-seasons.
And yes, Michelin is best. Used summer Primacy HPs and they are amazing.
Old 11-13-13, 09:53 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
I once bought Z-rated Federal SS595 (or something). Thought it's gonna be nice on LS.
I was wrong - only was able to drive on them for a day. TOO HARSH, bumpy, steering became hard, dog tracking etcetcetc. Sold and went back to soft all-seasons.
And yes, Michelin is best. Used summer Primacy HPs and they are amazing.
The Michelins were definitely the best tires I've had. They ride so smooth too.
Old 11-13-13, 08:02 PM
NClextech
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a combination of both the front "caster bushings" and/or the tires. The "caster bushing" bolts to the rear of the front lower control arms. I have seen on multiple occasions a worn caster bushing cause a vibration while driving. The LS430 is very sensitive to the type of tires you put on them, i absolutly hate michelin tires but unfortunatly they ride the best on the LS430. The mxv4 is the way to go if you go with the michelins. The bridgestone el44 turanza is a good tire as well but wear prematurly. Hope this helps