LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HELP! Cant get rear rotor off hub!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 06:34 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Cant get rear rotor off hub!

Problem solved!!!!

Hey my fellow CL members.

So I was doing a rotor and pad replacement on my 2004 LS430 and all was going well till I got to the rear rotors.

I read on the forum that if the rotors are seesed to the hubs that you should firt spray some WD40 into the screw holes on the face, then thread M8 (2X) bolts and begin working them one after another till it pops the rotor off.

Welllll... the rotor started to seperate from the hub but eventually there was no more movement and the bolts more or less striped the holes...

It seems to me that the studs are not perfectly straight and are causing some resistance when trying to remove the hub... I really dont see how it could be any other issue because the rotor is off the hub a good half the way.

The only conclusion I can think of at this point is to cut the studs, re move the rotor and reinstall new studs.

I spent a good 2 hours banging the crap out of the rotor with no luck. Id really hate to deal with replacing studs.

Can anyone give some ideas or advice!!! Ill post pics shortly. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by InfamousLS; 09-27-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 08:31 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Just watched a youtube video that shows the guy putting lug nuts on the lugs then hitting between them with a sledge hammer to loosen the mechanical weld or rust weld.... Im going to give it a shot but like I stated I think the issue lies more with the alignment of the studs because when I did the bolt trick the hub did seperate from the hub.

Need thoughts, opinions and ideas! Post up People!
Old 09-26-13, 09:50 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

that is so weird... normally banging the hell out of it with a hammer will drop the rotor.

I assume the LS's have the parking brake integrated into a 'drum' which sits inside the rotor itself [like all other lexus models].

PLEASE tell me you at least thought of releasing the parking brake... there's no reason for any rotor to be seized on like you describe on any car for that matter.
Old 09-26-13, 10:47 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

01LEXPL...... um.... nope, nope didnt think of that.....

Could that really be what wont allow it to release?!!?! why didnt I even think to try that! ah im so mad... gonna have to give it a shot when I get home tomorrow (out on business)... till then more suggestions are apprechiated incase this is not the case... and if so Im running laps shouting I willnever be so foolish again.
Old 09-26-13, 07:47 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousLS
01LEXPL...... um.... nope, nope didnt think of that.....

Could that really be what wont allow it to release?!!?! why didnt I even think to try that! ah im so mad... gonna have to give it a shot when I get home tomorrow (out on business)... till then more suggestions are apprechiated incase this is not the case... and if so Im running laps shouting I willnever be so foolish again.
If the parking brake was in fact on, then no other suggestion is necessary. That's your issue.
Don't beat yourself up. We all do stuff like that.
Old 09-27-13, 05:50 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Haha yea it most certainly is. Im going to go home after work and finish up the rear. Im just shocked that it effects the rotor. Id have thought it would lock the hub only seeing at the rotor is limited to the movement of the hub.

Guess theres always something new to learn. Will close thread once I figure out if this is the culpret. Thanks all for our help.
Old 09-27-13, 09:59 AM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it still stuck on after releasing the parking brake, there should be two smaller threaded spots on the rotor between the lug nut spots, that you can insert a sturdy bolt and as you tighten them down, they will pull the rotor off. First however, check to make sure the wheels turn somewhat freely after releasing the parking brake. If not, there is a rubber plug on the outside of the rotor face that allows access to the parking break adjustment wheel so you can back off the parking brake pads from the inside of the rotor. You'll have to adj them back once you reinstall the rotor.

Lastly, if you are replacing the rotors with new ones, then smacking the old ones with a small sledge from the sides and inner side WILL break that rusted seal eventually. As others suggested, put penetrating oil (WD40 or Liquid Wrench) and allow it to soak for awhile and those bad boys will come off.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-13, 01:22 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The parking brake pads expand onto the inside of the rotor hat.
Old 09-27-13, 04:36 PM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Appreciate all the help guys. It was in fact the e brake!

You live and learn hahaha.
Old 09-27-13, 06:17 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.