LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice on purchase - yea I know, everyone loves these threads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 09:36 PM
Br3wCity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on purchase - yea I know, everyone loves these threads.

I hate being the guy asking "is this a good deal" but Lexus is one of the few brands I've never owned.

I started off young in imports, and moved to building hot rods, motorcycles and custom muscle cars over the last 10 years. I'm not afraid to rip a car pretty much all the way apart, IF I have a handle on the job at hand, and what to do. This includes some of the "arts" like welding, painting, fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Here's where I need your help. I'm looking at a 2005 LS430, to replace my current daily beater. I had a pretty major surgery, and I'm a big dude, so the wide supple seats, seating options, and leg room the car offers are pretty much superior to anything I've ever driven...sans a Bentley, but since I'll never own one of those, this is a good second Its an 05 non-UL, though I don't know exactly which trim level it has (no nav, 7 speakers so i think thats no ML).

The car has 83k, was a local trade up to an A8L, and is EXTREMELY clean. The interior still has the Genuine Leather tag hanging from the passenger head rest. Dealer was asking $17,xxx but has lowered it to $15,9xx and I believe is getting ready to just auction it, as its nearly $20k cheaper than the next used car on the lot. I know it will be needing a timing belt around 90k, so I would have a bout a year to figure that out. I'm not trading in, or financing. I'm thinking about just putting $14,5xx on the table (still above black book) and seeing if I can get it. Car is being sold as-is, clean title, pretty good documentation.

Do you think this is a good car for a DIY'er looking to get into something a little more physically forgiving than the hot rods I've been used to? I'm used to fixing stuff as it comes up, so I know I'll need to move to a maintenance mentality instead. How does the price sound? (I'm located in the Midwest).

Here are some pic's of the car in question, and a pic of what I'm used to dealing with. A quick response would be great, I'd like to tackle this by the weeks end.

What I'm used to (and still keeping of course)

Old 09-18-13, 03:48 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

15k would be fair or have them do the belt, tensioners and trans drain and fill for 15,900. Car has sat for 6 months, has 35 service records no wrecks but I would still get an inspection. Who knows what they payed for it when you start talking a 90k plus car for purchase. Audi North Shore drove an A6 there last fall.

Make part of the deal a test romp in an 014 A8 with the twin blowered V8.
Old 09-18-13, 03:50 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone have the latest auction prices for Mannheim to help this fell out with?
Old 09-18-13, 04:34 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Not a bad price at all. Price just depends on the market, maintenance history, and condition. I paid 18.5 for my UL with 104k miles. I think 15k is a great price if the car has been well taken care of. Just don't forget that the 90k maintenance runs about $1200 - $1400.
Old 09-18-13, 05:57 AM
walleyeman
Rookie

I think you will love the comfort of these vehicles.

I can not comment on this specific vehicle's pricing. I do know that this is one of the most reliable cars in the world.

I learned a long time ago, that after a purchase- if the only thing you can complain about is the price- you have done well.
Old 09-18-13, 06:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Beat em down as low as you can get them but in general the LS430's tend to get NADA value retail. 15 grand is not a bad deal whatsoever. If the car has been sitting there for a while then you have a good chance at a low price.
Old 09-18-13, 09:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

I think you should go for it. If you are willing to change the timing belt/water pump yourself you can get the OEM timing belt kit for $125 on Amazon.
Old 09-18-13, 02:33 PM
Br3wCity
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the fast replies guys, and I'm really glad to see another Wisconsinite in the first reply!

How did your get that info on the service history? I saw some documentation but didn't see anything on sitting for 6 months etc.

Kira X - I've watched the video's and I'm donwloading a Repair manual to look at the Timing Belt procedure. I figure if I can keep my stuff organized, it's a doable job with a clean garage and my bro's help.

I'm having my pops take a test ride in it tonight, to get an unbiased opinion, and if it checks out I'll look to make the move into that Luscious Leather Lining the Lexus.....ooooh alliteration.
Old 09-18-13, 02:41 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Join the website below and put the vin in. Just remember to remove it from your profile if you don't purchase it.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 09-18-13, 05:41 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Make sure you are happy with the firmness of the drivers seat. Search this board for complaints. I am not large and I am ok with the seats but not impressed either. Considering that you are a big dude make sure that the seat comfort is fine for you.
Everything else has already been mentioned.
Old 09-19-13, 11:31 PM
SGS3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Br3wCity, just don't think I should create another thread for buying advice so I jump to yours. If you don't like it, let me know

I'm new here, coming from a so noisy Accord and looking to upgrade to a LS 430. I currently have two in mind:

1. 2006 LS 430, 95K miles, I think it is UL because of the three switches in the upper dash panel and lots of control buttons for back seats (Thanks to Gene01 for summarizing this) . Not sure if it has PCS, I'll come to see this weekend. One owner, clean title, pretty good service record. My concern is that I read here and there that UL might comes with lots of electric issues. I even remember reading in this forum and there's one guy concluded that it's best to have a 2004-2006 non UL/CL (something like that).

How do you guys think? Should I still go for UL? And in what price range is it ok to bite? The guy there is asking around $18K.

2. 2002 LS 430, 180K miles. This one might just be Base or Prem. 2 owners. I haven't check service record yet. I consider this one partly because $18K is a bit out of range, and hopefully at 180K miles I still can experience a good LS 430. Do you guy think this one can easily do another 50K miles? And how much is acceptable? The guy is asking around $7500.

3. In case I can't find a LS 430, I might also consider a GS 430. I'm looking at a 2006, 110K miles. Don't have much detail yet because this is not my 1st priority, but anyway, do you guy think $14K is a good buy? Or you just think I should spend time looking for just the LS? The GS does look younger while the LS is on the classy side, but my 1st priority is drive feeling.

Thanks,

Last edited by SGS3; 09-19-13 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 05:16 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

NADA and KBB are really just guides. Prices are based on what the market will support.

I purchased my car from a Lexus dealer (2 months ago) that had serviced the car its whole life, was a unique color combo, had brand new Michelin tires, brakes, and a few other things. This added a slight premium. I paid 18.5 +++ Of course, retail (dealer) vs private party will often be as much as a 2 - 4 thousand difference. For the most part, the NADA and KBB values are about what the LS430's in excellent condition bring. If a car has been sitting you will have more wiggle room. Mine had been on the lot for only two weeks.

Anyway, use the website listed to research history via the vin. Anything over 90K should have had the timing belt / water pump maintenance. UL's all have air suspension. Something to consider as they often need one to more airbags replaced by 130k miles. They are quite expensive, which is why often people convert to the standard spring / strut setup if they begin to fail.

In my opinion, stick with 2004 - 2006 models as they are slightly more refined and have the 6 speed transmissions vs the 5 speed.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-20-13 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 01:51 PM
SGS3
Rookie

Thanks, this 2006 is actually replaced timing belt recently. I read about the air suspension of UL and I think if I get one, I'll replace with standard spring as well.

May be I'll look for a 2004 which is hopefully within my range. Anyway, besides the 5 speed transmission, do you think in general a 2002 LS 430 with 180K miles can last a couple more years?
Old 09-20-13, 02:23 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

At 180K miles it is barely broken in.
Old 09-23-13, 11:50 PM
SGS3
Rookie

Pretty noob question: does water pump usually come with timing belt replacement? I have access to the car's service record now and in the long list of 90K service, I see tb change but couldn't find anything related to water pump. Thanks

Quick Reply: Advice on purchase - yea I know, everyone loves these threads.