Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Replacing starter motor.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-13, 11:59 AM   #1
ipwn
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 90
Default Replacing starter motor.

I wouldn't bother, just replace the contacts and plunger.

It's a really easy job if you're not taking the starter out.
  • Drain coolant
  • TB Off
  • Some hoses and connectors
  • Line of bolts on either side and up the manifold comes off.
  • Open starter, replace contacts and plunger.
  • Boom done.

No idea why people are complaining so much about this job. It's quite easy and there is SOOOOOOO MUCH ROOM in this engine bay.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ipwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-13, 04:42 PM   #2
55excl
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ct.
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipwn View Post
I wouldn't bother, just replace the contacts and plunger.

It's a really easy job if you're not taking the starter out.
  • Drain coolant
  • TB Off
  • Some hoses and connectors
  • Line of bolts on either side and up the manifold comes off.
  • Open starter, replace contacts and plunger.
  • Boom done.

No idea why people are complaining so much about this job. It's quite easy and there is SOOOOOOO MUCH ROOM in this engine bay.
This post is awesome but please be more specific. What is TB? What are the line of bolts?
55excl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-13, 07:51 PM   #3
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,067
@vatoloco
Send a message via Yahoo to LScowboyLS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55excl View Post
This post is awesome but please be more specific. What is TB? What are the line of bolts?
TB = Throttle Body in this case, and his post is not "awesome", it is misleading, this job is a pretty big job, and not for the typical shade-tree mechanic, it is far bigger of a job than doing a timing belt, for example.

if it was easy, the dealership would not get 6 or more labor hours @$125/hour or more
LScowboyLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 02:16 AM   #4
ipwn
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 90
Default

Well obviously it's directed and anyone with mechanical determination.

I was expecting to have a huge job on my hands but it's turned out to be so straightforward AS LONG AS THE STARTER MOTOR IS NOT BEING REMOVED.

Anyone whos had issues with this job has hit walls at the starter motor area.

These denso units just suffer from contact wear so just replace them.

To do this job without removing the starter motor is only 2-3 hours.

I think 6 hours is taking the biscuit and the labour rate does not dictate quality either.
ipwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 03:38 PM   #5
55excl
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ct.
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LScowboyLS View Post
TB = Throttle Body in this case, and his post is not "awesome", it is misleading, this job is a pretty big job, and not for the typical shade-tree mechanic, it is far bigger of a job than doing a timing belt, for example.

if it was easy, the dealership would not get 6 or more labor hours @$125/hour or more
I can handle this job. This post is awesome even if you have a INDY do it you know it can be done.
55excl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 01:05 PM   #6
ipwn
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 90
Default

So I ended up having to take out my starter motor.

Only an extra couple of steps, remove the centre cooling pipe which is very straightforward.
Remove the rear bypass which is 4 easy bolts.

Then you can see teh starter motor bolts.

The left one I used a spanner the right one I just put my small 1/4 spanner in and undid it.

Unscrewed both bolts and the starter motor comes out.

I still don't understand where the extreme difficulty lies and the need to start hacksawing an cutting harnesses comes in.
ipwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 01:05 PM
 
Reply
 
 
 

Tags
clublexus, forums, lexus, ls430, ls460, replace, replacement, starter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | JOBS


Get all contact info

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2