LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

03 w/ 270k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 06:06 PM
chaileyk5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 w/ 270k miles

So, I have the chance to buy a high mileage 03 LS430 from my father in law - 270k miles. He's the original owner, and has records on all repairs done (either at the local muffler shop, or lexus dealership). Both cats have been replaced in the last 10k or so, and I don't think he's had many other issues with it. I'm waiting to hear about the timing belt/water pump.

I don't know a great deal about Lexus, so is this way too many miles to even fool with? I'm thinking he'll probably let me have it for around 3k, and since it's family, I won't have to pay any state sales tax.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Old 01-03-13, 07:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

$3,000 sounds fair. The miles shouldn't be a problem if all of the electronics still work and maintenance was done.
Old 01-03-13, 07:18 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

$3k is an awesome deal for a running LS430 regardless of miles...Even First Gen LS400s are going for that much.
Old 01-03-13, 07:54 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

guess your father-in-law doesn't like you enough to just give it to you... haha. $3K is fine, but if it's Ultra Luxury edition, you could blow that just on two air suspensions. 270k is still high even for a Lexus, so what might seem like a great deal at $3K could quickly add up if little things start failing.

I would imagine TB and WP have been changed at some point already... doubt he's running on 270K belts.
Old 01-03-13, 09:03 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

270k is alot, but there are other lexus' out there with much more. these cars are built to last and they will do just that if they are maintained properly, which if your father-in-law can provide all service records and what not, i think that should be good, but id still get it inspected, you never know man. as the member above me said if its a UL then it could have problems with the air suspension. so certainly check that out because its really expensive to repair. i think the price is really good though. as long as everything checks out.

good luck with your choice!!
Old 01-03-13, 10:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Regardless of the spectacular reputation of any car, age and high mileage will eventually effect any cars ultimate reliability as "nothing lasts forever". The price is no issue here, but if it were me, with that many miles I would consider using the car locally without trying to be a hero taking it for any long distances.
Old 01-04-13, 05:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

You need to test drive it and have it inspected. $3k isn't a lot of money but its still too much to invest if the car is worn out with that many miles. Look hard for any fluid leaks, suspension parts worn out, and make sure all options actually work.

If it has been gently driven and had great service through its use it may be in good shape but it could also be a worn out pig in a poke that would be a money pit. But if its in solid well maintained shape you could buy it for 3k drive it 30k miles and likely sell it for 3k when you are tired of it.
Old 01-04-13, 06:54 AM
chaileyk5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. He is very OCD about the maintenance of his cars, so I’m not super worried about that. I just don’t know enough about these cars to know if there is a ‘grenade clock’ like some other cars (all of the jeeps I’ve had over the years turn to absolute crap at 120k – it’s like clockwork…).

Jabberwock – that’s kinda what I’m thinking. We’re talking about putting our house on the market in the next month or so, so I don’t really want to take on a huge car payment right now. I’m leaning towards getting it and just driving it to and from work for 6 -12 months and then selling it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-13, 07:07 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I do not get the feeling they are tickign time bombs at all, cripes camrys go 300k with little issues. 27k a year must be alot of hwy miles. I wonder what the suspension feels like if the struts are original?

Buying cars from family, especially with cars that MAY need costly repairs even if almost given away can be a PITA. If I was him I would just give it to you with the idea he waves any responsibity/guilt to future repairs.
Old 01-04-13, 07:49 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I do not get the feeling they are tickign time bombs at all, cripes camrys go 300k with little issues. 27k a year must be alot of hwy miles. I wonder what the suspension feels like if the struts are original?

Buying cars from family, especially with cars that MAY need costly repairs even if almost given away can be a PITA. If I was him I would just give it to you with the idea he waves any responsibity/guilt to future repairs.
I'm in agreement with that, but us outsiders never really know the family dynamics.
Old 01-05-13, 12:48 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

BUY IT, since he's family im sure he wont give you a beater, yet to each his own. just make sure some suspension parts have been changed a timing belt/water pump replacement, and ask if he's been changing the fluids.
Old 01-05-13, 02:49 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy it...you could drive it into the ground, part it out, and still make money
Old 01-05-13, 07:50 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

at that mileage he should give it to you for free...there WILL be maintenance items and things breaking.
Old 01-05-13, 10:33 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

.... cheap to buy, but its a luxury car so any repairs are $$$$,
Its a V8 and uses premium gas, so if you drive a lot in the city, its not cheap here either.

It's10 years old car with fairly high milage - but if its done a lot of highway cruising and is in good shape mechanically, its a fantastic deal.
Get it inspected before you buy, so you can avoid known expensive repairs.
Old 01-06-13, 05:14 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys crack me up. Gotta give this car my credit, it surely deserves it. Do you know how many LS's are out there everyday with 300 too 500K on the clock? 273K on a 4.3L is not all that much.

Quick Reply: 03 w/ 270k miles