LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Strange occurance with my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 10:05 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Strange occurance with my steering wheel

Hello again everyone. Hope you all survived the winter. To those on the other side of the globe, stay warm this winter.

I have an 05 LS430. I noticed a few months ago that when I started my car, the presets for the steering wheel weren't working properly. It seems to be a combination of things actually. The scoping part doesn't seem to be working at all. I can grab and pull on it slightly and sometimes it will work. Then sometimes the car with tilt accordingly and other times, I'll have to press my preset button to get it to tilt back in place. Or I can just adjust the tilt myself where I want it, but that shouldn't be happening.

Does any of this sound familiar? I'm hoping it's an easy repair and not some major costly thing. Please let me know if you have an idea of what it could be. I can live with it as it is, but I'd prefer to have it working correctly.

Thanks, Ron
Old 03-26-11, 11:00 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the tilt works OK but the telescope doesn't? You can have your dealer disable the auto-retract feature and then you can leave it set in one, good position. My telescope stopped working and I had the dealer fix it (about $400 IIRC) and then disable the auto retract function. I manually adjust the wheel when needed, but that is rare.
Old 03-27-11, 05:50 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the point of LS without all features working ?....
Old 03-27-11, 06:52 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I find some of the features, like the auto retract of the steering column, auto retract of the seat, and auto folding mirrors to be unnecessary and annoying - plus they just wear out expensive components that already have known problems with their life expectancies. YMMV
Old 03-28-11, 06:47 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Worn components are there to be replaced... duh.... It's lexus, not saturn...
Old 03-28-11, 07:03 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Worn components are there to be replaced... duh.... It's lexus, not saturn...
I'm not saying not to replace components when they go bad. But, once I had my steering column fixed correctly, I didn't see any need to have it retract / extend with each ignition sequence when I don't care for / value the feature. Other folks like or need that option and it's good that it's available.
Old 03-28-11, 07:22 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree Caddy, do you know how to disable the auto retract/extend feature of the steering column or is this something the dealer must perform? I find it annoying as well.
Old 03-28-11, 07:24 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^^
I believe it is dealer only. I had mine disabled when having a new SmartAccess fob programmed, so they did it for no additional charge.
Old 03-28-11, 07:32 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like you're having problems with one or both steering wheel motors. These parts are expensive, but not too hard to replace as a DIY. Use one of the website links on this forum to buy replacement motors. They should last you a long time.

As pointed out before, the steering auto-retract auto-extend can be disabled. They're still work is you adjust them manually. It just wont auto extend/retract when you start up the car or turn it off. It basically stays in the last place you set. Of course you can always use th controls to move it.

SIDE NOTE:
Personally, i appreciate all the "fine luxury features" that make the LS a pleasure to own. The tilt-away steering column make entry and exit much easier. And, the tilt in reverse mirror aid significantly when backing up. And the list goes on and on. There are some areas of the car that have been known to fail, but why disable the features if they're providing value now? Those who don't want to replace parts need to invest in a CPO or warranty car. Otherwise, you're cheating yourself out of the Lexus experience. Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-11, 07:34 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
^^^
I believe it is dealer only. I had mine disabled when having a new SmartAccess fob programmed, so they did it for no additional charge.
Agree with caddy... this is a dealer setting. At my local dealer, they do charge for setting/adjustments. It's usually more than what i expect ($90). If you have a good relationship with a service advisor, they will sometimes cut you a break.
Old 03-28-11, 07:46 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

secret tip: buy chinese techstream cable for 100 bucks and customize such settings yourself for life..
Old 03-28-11, 08:44 PM
ok66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
^^^
Is there a reference number? I don't enjoy the noise when I get in/out my car. I asked dealer to disable it, and they said it can't be done even after I told them it's on the manual. I just bought my 2005 ML couple weeks ago and will go in for a mirror fix soon(motor failure). I will ask again to see if I get different answer this time.
Old 03-29-11, 12:53 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ok66
I asked dealer to disable it, and they said it can't be done
Tell that dealer to RTFM !
Of course it can be done...