Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 11:23 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430

All,

I rarely drive my 04' ls430 now a days bc of work. I started driving it a few days ago and noticed my steering telescoping feature (in and out) is starting to show signs of failure. The tilting feature still works fine. I have done research in the forums and only found a solution for the tilt but NOT the telescoping.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-KO

P.S. When I start the car the steering comes down to position then starts to TRY and push the steering wheel towards me. It makes a quiet squeeking sound (like something pinching and tightening) every time it moves outward. After pressing the steering button a few times, I can eventually get the steering wheel to my desired position. Everytime it moves it makes a SQUEEKING sound. So I know it's eventually going to fail. I care more about the functionality of my steering wheel rather then the sound. :-(

Help please.....

Last edited by maximussp; 11-13-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 11:56 AM
nkoppy
Rookie

KO,

Not sure if this matters, but when you shut the car off, does it draw the wheel all the way back in without the noise/hesitation, or does it have the same problem at that point as well?

-Nick
Old 11-13-10, 01:15 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nkoppy
KO,

Not sure if this matters, but when you shut the car off, does it draw the wheel all the way back in without the noise/hesitation, or does it have the same problem at that point as well?

-Nick

Great question. Previously, it both re-tracked and tilts back up at the same time. NOW, after the tilt is complete it's still slowly trying to retract. It makes the same noise and feel, but accomplishes to retract completely every time. Just takes longer.

When turning on, the tilt comes down and it slowly tries to extend. It stops 1/8 through (since it's trying so hard), so i have to manually click the button to extend it fully.

-KO
Old 11-13-10, 02:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

After checking my Lexus service history, I came across the replacement of the steering column years ago under warranty. It was making noise when I purchased the car and knowing that this historically has been a weak area with the LS430, I had my tilt away feature disabled. It worked fine but had the symptomatic moans and groans during each cycle.
Old 11-13-10, 07:19 PM
i3leusky
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
After checking my Lexus service history, I came across the replacement of the steering column years ago under warranty. It was making noise when I purchased the car and knowing that this historically has been a weak area with the LS430, I had my tilt away feature disabled. It worked fine but had the symptomatic moans and groans during each cycle.
How did you disabled your tilt away feature? i'm having the same problem, estimate of repair is $200 for labor and $300 for parts
Old 11-13-10, 08:07 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by i3leusky
How did you disabled your tilt away feature? i'm having the same problem, estimate of repair is $200 for labor and $300 for parts
Lexus took care of it while I had it in for another job. It takes 2 minutes and only they can program it. While you are having it done, you can look at the list of a zillion options for them to change or disable for you. It's best to have them do something else for you or they will usually charge you at least minimum labor for 2 minutes of clicking on a button.
The following users liked this post:
NJC (11-05-18)
Old 11-13-10, 10:42 PM
BC8
Rookie

it would be great if there was an option to stop the rear shade from coming down every time you put it in reverse and an option to turn off the ODO display. Anybody have any idea?
Old 11-13-10, 10:55 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Did you try greasing the gears? I did and it cleared up all noises and now moves very smoothly. I noticed it made more noise in hot weather due to the fact that the old grease thins out in hot temps or running off the gear.
It is very easy to do. There is one screw underneath the column and when you turn the wheel to the right or left 90 degrees it will reveals 2 more. Make sure the key is turned to the accessory position. Once the screws are off just seperate the column housing to reveal the tilt and telescope screw gears. I used thick all purpose grease used in grease guns. I used a very thin "art" brush to apply the grease. Work the tilt and telescope button back and forth to make sure the the grease is spread over all areas. The grease smell will last a few day. Just crack the window. I think the expensive synthetic grease might be odorless
Old 11-14-10, 12:44 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I had this EXACT PROBLEM. Tilt worked fine. The telescoping just made a squeaking noise and nothing happened. I took it in to the dealer and they said the motor was fine, it was the steering column had seized up. They ended up having to replace the entire steering column. (it was covered under my CPO warranty, about $1600 I believe)
Old 11-14-10, 04:58 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My retract / extend failed and it was about a $400 repair IIRC. Unless you physically need the auto-exit feature, I would have the dealer disable it. If you are the only driver of the car, you can get away with leaving the column fixed in a set position. If there are multiple drivers, you will probably need to bite the bullet and get it fixed.
Old 11-14-10, 05:45 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I second that recommendation - I had the dealer turn the steering wheel auto motion off. I really don't miss it. And I am hoping that turning it off will make it last a lot longer when I want to adjust it manually while driving. That's the theory anyway : )
Old 11-14-10, 06:49 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine works fine otherwise but has been making a slight "moaning"/squeaking sound on occasion. It's a CPO car, otherwise perfect and I mentioned it when I brought it in for an oil change. They ordered a part (a gear, I think), no questions asked and said there was an internal bulletin on it and that they'd handle it, and when the part came in I could schedule the work.

I haven't done my "complimentary customization" thing yet, so I'll probably have them disable the auto-retract after the work is done, just to get maximum life out of the new part (though they said there was some fix made to the part).

I also mentioned that my trunk was a bit hard to lift and they replaced the trunk struts during the oil change, also no questions asked. It's WAY easier now. I love my dealer!
Old 11-14-10, 02:35 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Did you try greasing the gears? I did and it cleared up all noises and now moves very smoothly. I noticed it made more noise in hot weather due to the fact that the old grease thins out in hot temps or running off the gear.
It is very easy to do. There is one screw underneath the column and when you turn the wheel to the right or left 90 degrees it will reveals 2 more. Make sure the key is turned to the accessory position. Once the screws are off just seperate the column housing to reveal the tilt and telescope screw gears. I used thick all purpose grease used in grease guns. I used a very thin "art" brush to apply the grease. Work the tilt and telescope button back and forth to make sure the the grease is spread over all areas. The grease smell will last a few day. Just crack the window. I think the expensive synthetic grease might be odorless
JLAWS,

The screws your referring too are the ones to take the cover off? Does the steering need to be removed to access the column housing? Is the column housing easily identified?

Thanks for your replies!

-KO
Old 11-15-10, 07:39 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by maximussp
JLAWS,

The screws your referring too are the ones to take the cover off? Does the steering need to be removed to access the column housing? Is the column housing easily identified?

Thanks for your replies!

-KO

Yes 3 screws will remove the plastic steering column. The Steering wheel does not need to be removed. You'll be able to clearly see all the gears.
Make sure the power is on so you can extend and tilt the wheel so you'll be able to take the split apart and take cover off. There is NO need to take the access panel under the sterring wheel off to get to them. It is very easy to do.

Lack of "lube" is the primary reason the column gears fail. A properly greased column should not make a sound. I plan to have the dealer disable the auto entry exit when I get around to it.
Old 11-16-10, 08:04 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Yes 3 screws will remove the plastic steering column. The Steering wheel does not need to be removed. You'll be able to clearly see all the gears.
Make sure the power is on so you can extend and tilt the wheel so you'll be able to take the split apart and take cover off. There is NO need to take the access panel under the sterring wheel off to get to them. It is very easy to do.

Lack of "lube" is the primary reason the column gears fail. A properly greased column should not make a sound. I plan to have the dealer disable the auto entry exit when I get around to it.

Thanks JLAWS.

Can you confirm which cover needs to be removed from this diagram?

Column Lower Cover or the big Safety Pad. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430