LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Carjacked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 03:35 PM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carjacked?

I read in one of the tech magazines recently that cars like the Lexus have been carjacked via their comm capability. Has this happened to anyone on here? If we remove that little antenna on the top of the car, would that capability disappear?

Along that line, can cops disable our cars that way, too?

Thanks,
David
Old 11-24-10, 05:10 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I'm generally familiar with technology and here are my opinions:

- The antenna on top of the car is for the old analog cell OnStar link that Lexus formerly supported. It no longer does anything.

- Police can't disable our cars ala the current OnStar feature because that was implemented in later generation, digital cell OnStar systems.

- In Detroit, the term "Carjack" generally refers to vehicle theft when the driver or a passenger is in the car (forced out or not) or when the thief takes the car by force when the driver is near the car. The SmartAccess system is no better or worse than a key when someone sticks a gun to your side window. In fact, it might be a bit better. If you are outside the car with the engine running and the SmartAccess fob is in your pocket, a thief can drive off with your car but can't restart the car if they turn it off. Also, if you stop for gas with the SmartAccess in your pocket and you turn off your car, a thief jumping into the car can't start it. (I tried it. The fob has to be inside the car, not just beside it.)

- I think the "comm capability" you referred to is from stories written in mid-decade about all cars with keyless ignition having a vulnerability to someone capturing or spoofing the code and gaining access to the car. I haven't heard of any problems with this, but maybe others have.
Old 11-24-10, 05:36 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly. Unless you had the LexusLink installed and working, that antenna is just adding wind resistance. Plus, as Caddy said, the software on the LS430 link did not enable the "authorities" to disable anything on the vehicle.