Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 rear window cell phone antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 03:49 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 92 rear window cell phone antenna

My newly acquired 92 has a rear window mounted cell phone antenna (as well as the awesome Lexus/Motorola analog flip phone). I'll be tearing out the phone but an curious about the antenna.

Does the antenna go through the glass? If yes I'm thinking that'd be a handy spot to mount my GPS antenna for my planned nav system upgrade.

How do I go about removing that eyesore antenna without damaging the glass?

thanks
Old 01-22-17, 03:11 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It does not go through the glass. One section affixes to the inside of your rear windscreen while the antenna part goes on the outer part. The signal is transmitted through both round sections through the glass.

As to how to remove it safely I am not sure myself. My car also came with the Lexus/Motorola phone system but the outer antenna was missing while the inner antenna was still present. I've cut off the cable going into the headliner but I haven't yet removed that round inner antenna piece from the glass.

The parts in the trunk are easy (and you just connect the two body harness wire sections that match right together). The parts in the console are easy also. The handset mounting section should unscrew with the console still assembled and the connection wire(s) should be accessible by removing the cupholder and possibly the shift bezel (if needed).
Old 01-22-17, 09:42 AM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Window mount cell phone antennas are mounted with double sided foam adhesive pads on both sides and a little silicone externally. I installed/removed a zillion of them in the 80's/90's. For every window-mount antenna I encountered:

The foam pads on the inside box were typically a little spongey, allowing you to pull/twist the box a tiny, tiny bit. You have to get something under one of the corners and pull/pry slowly and steadily. Often, a fingertip would be enough. A paint scraper/putty knife would be best. I would probably not admit on a public forum that I had to resort to a large flat blade screwdriver to get a couple of them started. On most aftermarket types the adhesive didn't extend out to the corners, so that's where you want to start from.

The glass-mount external antenna mast mounts onto a solid metal block with a screw/nut. Remove the mast, and there's a plastic cover that is attached to the glass with a few dabs of silicone. Work your putty knife under it all the way around and pry it off. The solid metal blocks left in place were usually attached with a less flexible pad with more aggressive adhesive. Resist the temptation to grab it with a pair of channel-lock pliers and twist it off, the leverage will be transmitted directly to the glass if you don't twist in a plane exactly tangential to the mounting surface.

I haven't removed one that's been mounted for a couple of decades. I would expect the pads and adhesive to be more dry and brittle. If you need to soften it, I would suggest alcohol, goo-gone, lighter fluid, or your favorite adhesive remover.
Old 01-22-17, 10:57 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by tsmith1315
Window mount cell phone antennas are mounted with double sided foam adhesive pads on both sides and a little silicone externally. I installed/removed a zillion of them in the 80's/90's. For every window-mount antenna I encountered:

The foam pads on the inside box were typically a little spongey, allowing you to pull/twist the box a tiny, tiny bit. You have to get something under one of the corners and pull/pry slowly and steadily. Often, a fingertip would be enough. A paint scraper/putty knife would be best. I would probably not admit on a public forum that I had to resort to a large flat blade screwdriver to get a couple of them started. On most aftermarket types the adhesive didn't extend out to the corners, so that's where you want to start from.

The glass-mount external antenna mast mounts onto a solid metal block with a screw/nut. Remove the mast, and there's a plastic cover that is attached to the glass with a few dabs of silicone. Work your putty knife under it all the way around and pry it off. The solid metal blocks left in place were usually attached with a less flexible pad with more aggressive adhesive. Resist the temptation to grab it with a pair of channel-lock pliers and twist it off, the leverage will be transmitted directly to the glass if you don't twist in a plane exactly tangential to the mounting surface.

I haven't removed one that's been mounted for a couple of decades. I would expect the pads and adhesive to be more dry and brittle. If you need to soften it, I would suggest alcohol, goo-gone, lighter fluid, or your favorite adhesive remover.
I'd imagine you could use fishing line in the same manner as if you were removing emblems, no?
Old 01-22-17, 11:54 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I'd imagine you could use fishing line in the same manner as if you were removing emblems, no?
That's a safe way to go. I removed mine off the '95 parts car last year and it was pretty easy with a putty knife. Whatever adhesive they used stays nice and pliable. Too bad they didn't use something of that quality for the fuel fittings at the filter and in the engine bay!
Old 01-25-17, 07:29 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i used fishing line and moved the line in a cutting motion through the pad.worked great on the inside and outside.
use a box cutter blade to remove the left over stuff.be careful on the inside so you dont damage the defrost grid.
Old 04-18-23, 05:47 PM
Kingken440
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need one.

I have a 1992 sc400 and I was wondering where I can get one of thoes antennas or something similar.