Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 05:32 AM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for sticking caliper. That makes the same noise.

Last edited by chris81964; 01-20-14 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-20-14, 05:41 AM
Floutier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris, I just rotated my tyres so I'll see if I notice a change first.
Old 01-20-14, 02:15 PM
unsure45
Driver School Candidate

Very Nice! This will help to kep narrowing down the noise I am hearing on my 2002 LS 430.
Old 02-08-14, 08:18 AM
peafarmer
Rookie

Default both bearings

OK, so I was asking earlier whether I needed to do both bearings. I decided not to do my other bearing at the time. Turns out, my other bearing started making noise last week, so I decided to do it before the car started to sound like a freight train.

Don't understand why these bearings don't last, car has 135K now....

Also, did anybody have a trick for tightening the 4 bolts that hold on the axle/bearing assembly? I used a swivel socket and various lengths of extensions to get the best possilbe angle, but for the two forward bolts I needed the swivel at a good angle....I am not that comfortable with torques if I don't have a nice straight socket on there....

Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-08-14, 12:11 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a shot in the dark - Is it possible that the car was driven on the beach, perhaps into salt water?
Old 02-08-14, 03:06 PM
Floutier
Driver School Candidate

I've not heard any definite info regarding how these bearings get worn. My last LS430's bearings went between 200-250,000 miles. This one was just on 200,000 when I got them all changed as a preventative measure.

I have heard of them going much earlier. I have also heard from guys who have done far more miles with no problem.

I did read a couple of posts saying that driving over pot-holes causes them to go. My feeling is that simply driving over a pot-hole won't, in itself, cause the failure. What I guess happens is that the geometry is adversely affected. The wheels are then FIGHTING against the weight of the car causing hugely increased friction within the bearings leading to very early failure.

We sometimes read of people replacing bearings with them then going again in a fairly short space of time. IF the cause of failure is not remedied THEN simply changing the bearings is pretty much a waste of time.

So, my advice would be to check the geometry and bush condition, even tier balance, as this may be the cause. Then AFTER the new bearings are fitted and any worn bushes replaced, get the geometry/balance corrected to avoid a premature recurrence.
Old 05-19-14, 03:10 PM
jabo75
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket Bearings

Originally Posted by ECUJeb
I found a great place to get the bearings and ordered mine from them. I got a pair with free shipping and they hit my door in about 3 days.

Here is the link:

http://www.am-autoparts.com/2006/Lex...63/364723.html
ECUJeb, I am curious how those bearings held up for you. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 07-26-14, 03:43 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With the assistance of this thread which I printed out for instruction, I replaced both my hubs today. It was quite a simple DIY for my 2005 LS with 173,000 miles. Thanks Club Lexus.
Only things to add are this entire bracket (first photo) is removed with a 10mm bolt which takes the small wire with it, no need to disconnect anything when you hang the caliper out of the way from the upper arm.
I also took photos from the rear looking forward of the back side of each hub to show the position of the ABS sensor wires. There was some earlier discussion about facing aft or whatever and I just wanted to make sure I installed each hub the same way the old ones were.
It took a bit of pounding to break free of some corrosion and I wire brushed the holes when they were empty. Once the bolts are out you can hit a punch to the hub mounting hole in order to give it a little twist, then just pound on the wheel mounting part on opposite alternating sides, since the whole thing is going to the dumper.
New hubs completely eliminated the whining noise I was experiencing at speeds over 45 mph. It was much louder turning right than straight and no noise turning left. Turns out the left hub was the one that was bad and made noise even when spun by hand after removal. All parts purchased from Sewell Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430-10mm-bolt.jpg   Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430-driver-side.jpg   Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 11-14-14, 04:40 AM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Piece of cake!

In all my years of using forums, this thread proved to be one of, if not the best I've ever encountered.

I have a 2005 LS 430 with 156,000 miles.

My right front bearing failed. At first I thought it was an airplane flying overhead. But when it didn't go away, I got out and inspected the wheel. Finding that the tire was just starting to separate on the edge of the tread, I took it into my local tire store for new tires.

Much to my chagrin, the noise remained. I turned to the forum and found exactly what I was seeking. The description of the problem was dead on, and the detailed photos and instructions were clear. As I read deeper, I discovered the cause of the failure.

About three weeks ago, as I was traveling early in the morning, I was instructed to get into the left turn lane to a local freeway. The only problem: I got into the turn lane too early, for another road and suddenly, at about 45 mph, I hit a curb and went back on the grass for about 100 feet before the real turn lane began. Luckily, the curb was beveled, or I would have taken out the whole front suspension. I was certainly awake then!

Thanks to all the great contributors to this thread. This is the second time I've solved a major repair problem using the instructions I obtained from using the Club Lexus forums. I estimate this has saved me over $1,500 in repair costs. As you know, if you own a 430, it's never a cheap fix!

Kudos too, to the folks at Lexus of South Atlanta. http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com

Not only did they offer good prices, I was able to speak with them and they gave me tips on how to make the job easier. I highly recommend them!

Like many of the comments, I probably will be doing the left hub soon. But when I do, I have complete confidence in doing the work, thanks to Club Lexus!
Old 01-03-15, 09:56 AM
nd010693
Driver School Candidate

Default Quality

Originally Posted by ECUJeb
I have only had my LS a couple of weeks and even on the test drive I heard the LF bearing making noise. The dealer I bought the car from wouldn't do anything about it, so I hit the internet, including this thread. I have the tools and do a lot of my own work and this job looks pretty straight forward. I'll let you know later today...

So thanks to the OPs for posting.

I found a great place to get the bearings and ordered mine from them. I got a pair with free shipping and they hit my door in about 3 days.

Here is the link:

http://www.am-autoparts.com/2006/Lex...63/364723.html

Can you speak to the quality of the bearings you ordered from that link?
Old 01-15-15, 03:13 PM
Bigworm310
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

So over the weekend I changed out my bearing and I still have the same noise.

Any idea on what else it can be?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-15, 04:08 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Can you describe the noise you're hearing? Does it happen all the time, or only when you make a turn, or accelerate/decelerate, or hit a bump, etc.? Is it a humming noise, or knocking, or metallic sound, etc?
Old 01-15-15, 04:20 PM
Bigworm310
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Can you describe the noise you're hearing? Does it happen all the time, or only when you make a turn, or accelerate/decelerate, or hit a bump, etc.? Is it a humming noise, or knocking, or metallic sound, etc?
It's a whomp whomp whomp noise. I usually hear it when I'm on the freeway. Also when my steering wheel is slighty turning right. Just from reading this thread I thought for sure it was my wheel bearing. But I switched it out and it's still there.

I also put on my spare tire because I thought I was my tire. But the Spare tire is brand new...

So no clue now

Last edited by Bigworm310; 01-15-15 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 04:39 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Based on your description, I would suspect a failing bearing, too. It appears to be speed-related so likely to come from rotating parts. Are you certain that the noise did not come from the rear bearings? Another possible place to look is the drive shaft center bearing. It makes a whinny sound at high speed when they fail.

Last edited by rkw77080; 01-15-15 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 05:14 PM
Bigworm310
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=rkw77080;8870269]Based on your description, I would suspect a failing bearing, too. It appears to be speed-related so likely to come from rotating parts. Are you certain that the noise did not come from the rear bearings? Another possible place to look is the drive shaft center bearing. It makes a whinny sound at high speed when they fail.

I really doubt it's coming from the rear. and it's not a whinny sound. But I'll double check it to see.
Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430