LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Adding an Equalizer to the Mark Levinson System??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 12:17 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding an Equalizer to the Mark Levinson System??

I have an ’05 LS with navigation & the Mark Levinson system. As good as the stereo sounds, it COULD sound soooo much better. It doesn’t need more/better speakers, and it doesn’t need a more powerful amp or a different (aftermarket) head unit. What It DOES need is a proper graphic equalizer, to more precisely control the sound. The three controls (for treble, midrange, and bass) on the touch screen are rubbish. Like most Lexus sound systems, the ML has waaaaay too much midrange. By the time I cut the midrange back far enough, so that it doesn’t sound like an AM radio inside an empty coffee can, many of the mid/high and mid/lows that I WANT to retain have also been cut. As for the bass, there either seems to be too much or not enough - it’s impossible to get the bass dialed-in just right with these 3 silly tone controls, alone. I want to slip an EQ in-line, between the head unit and the external amp. I need to mount the EQ in an out-of-the-way place (preferably in the trunk), so as to not muck up the otherwise factory/stock look of my interior.

I did a search, and didn’t find anything on-point. I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked & answered (please post the URL), because I couldn’t find any relevant threads. If it HASN’T already been discussed, does anyone know: (1) where the external amplifier for the system is located; and (2) what sort of plugs and wires (e.g., RCA??) are used to connect the head unit and the external amp? Bonus points for anybody who has actually (successfully) incorporated an equalizer into their ML system, and can explain how it’s done! Thanks!

-Nick
Old 11-08-10, 09:21 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

JBL MS8 might be your solution. pricey-but worth it from what i have read.