Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2002 LS430 Mark Levinson problem

Old 09-29-08, 05:54 PM   #1
Jamimarti
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2002 LS430 Mark Levinson problem

My 2002 LS430 (w/NAVI) has had an intermittent FM stereo reception problem for quite a while. At first it was just every once in a while. Now the signal drops every four to five seconds consistently. It is very annoying. The CD and tape seem to work properly without interruption and the AM signal works uninterrupted. I called the dealer and they said that they do not service these radios. They just remove and exchange them for $500 plus $190 labor (say what???). I see that there is a TSB AU00202 for this year vehicle and system related to the amplifier not producing sound when the audio system is on. Has anyone else had this problem and did they get any support from Lexus or find another less expensive remedy that leaves it stock? Please advise. I also called a shop that services OEM radio systems and they said that there is no way to repair these systems in Lexus NAVI vehicles because it is all proprietary and no radio schematics are available.

Thank you,

Jamimarti
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Jamimarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 07:13 PM   #2
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via AIM to GRAND_LS 4

If the problem is isolated to the FM radio band, did you try turning on/off the AF (alternate frequency) button on the navi radio control screen?
GRAND_LS 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 08:37 PM   #3
Jamimarti
Driver School Candidate

Grand LS 4,
I think you are on to something. I checked it by turning the key to the accessory position, turned on the FM radio with the intermittent drop problem present, turned off the AF button on the NAVI screen and no more problem. I haven't driven it yet at this setting but I think you have helped me tremendously with this problem. You are awesome!
Thank you,
Jamimarti
Jamimarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 05:49 AM   #4
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I noticed the same problem until I realized that the AF button was on. Turned it off and no more problems.
Boomer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 06:15 AM   #5
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via AIM to GRAND_LS 4

I hope that fixed it for ya
GRAND_LS 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 12:56 PM   #6
badpanu
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 LS430 with the GPS and touch screen for controlling the rado. I noticed this problem of cutting off every five seconds. BUT, only when I touch a pre-set button and go to a station, and that too only when I go to two of the stations. Also, If I tune to the same station that is giving trouble manually, I do not have this problem.
BUT: Thanks to Grand LS 4, the "AF" button worked for me too. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Probably saved me couple of hundred bucks.

But, this post is for ANOTHER BIGGER problem:
When I increase the base, the rear speaker(sub-woofer) AND the front left door speaker start crackling(like it happens when a speaker is blown). Dealer told me that I needed to replace back sub-woofer(at that time I had no problem with the front left speaker) for $640. Now that it is happening with the front left, I am not sure if it is the speakers or the Amp.

I read raving reviews on the Mark Levinson stereo; but given the number of problems I am having, I do not agree.

Can someone help guide me before I go to the dealer so I am well informed(The Dealer will probably tell me I need to replace entire stereo for a couple of thousand dollars).

Also, is there a way to go to Lexus/Toyota company directly and plead my case?

Last edited by badpanu; 12-15-08 at 01:04 PM..
badpanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 01:32 PM   #7
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Read this thread

A lot of LS430 owners have had problems with the Mark Levinson subs. Most decide to replace it with a different sub whether than shelling out all that money for the same crappy oem one.
Boomer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 09:48 AM   #8
lexusthai
Driver

Send a message via MSN to lexusthai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamimarti View Post
). I see that there is a TSB AU00202 for this year vehicle and system related to the amplifier not producing sound when the audio system is on. Has anyone else had this problem and did they get any support from Lexus or find another less expensive remedy that leaves it stock? Please advise.
My amplifier is not producing any sound (2002 CPO Nav/ML). It took the dealer four weeks to order the necessary parts that would have cost me about $900 if it wasn't a CPO. The part just got to the dealer this week, haven't had time to go get it fixed yet. But what is this TSB AU00202? Where can I read it?

From reading.. I see lots of owners having problems with their subs, but not amps. Other people have problems with amps?
Old 12-19-08, 09:48 AM

Tags
2002, cuts, gps, gs300, gs430, intermittently, levinson, lexus, ls430, mark, radio, remove, repair, speakers, stereo, subwoofer, working