LS430 suspension noise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 12:20 AM
AZLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 suspension noise.

Hello.

I recently purchased an 01 LS430. I have noticed a few issues with the car I would like some advice on.
The left front suspension creaks badly on slow bumps like going into the drive way. No clunks. She drives DEAD straight for miles. Smooth solid ride.But major creaking from the front left.
I put the car on a lift and inspected just about everything. I noticed some minor cracks in the rear control arm bushings. I have not convinced myself that this is the source of the noise. I believe it might be the strut or the Strut top. What is a common source of failure and or noise? With 90K I think its time for struts. Its more of a creaking like a subframe moving and not a Squeak that a bushing would cause.

1. How long do standard NON leveling LS430 Struts last?
2. Should I buy Lexus OEM struts or KYB G2's? About the same price. Any other strut in this price range?

I plan on keeping the stock springs as this is a luxury car to me and is used to drive 350 miles each way from city to city. The car runs 20X10 Lowenharts on the rear and 20X9's on the front. It would sure look nice 1.5 inches lower but only if this is possible without a harsh ride. To me this is not a race car. Its a place to relax to make my commute seem shorter. My edge is toward smooth ride and handling over performance on this car. I own performance cars for that.

Issue #2..

When I insert the key the Steering wheel will not go back down.. The motor will move the wheel in and out but not up and down by inserting the key. If I place the weight of my hand on the wheel it goes down as normal. Any tips on servicing or lubricating this motor or gears? I have search but not turned up much.

issue 3...

When I turn the car on the RIGHT headlamp clearly motorizes up and down again on my garage wall. The LEFT lamp does not. Is this normal or do I have a problem with the left or drivers side headlamp assembly?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This is a wonder full car that I truly love driving. With a little work it will be perfect! I just dont have the experience or knowledge with these cars and I need a little help.

C
Old 06-16-08, 05:23 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue with my front left suspension, going to get it looked at shortly. I think it is the eccentric joint towards the center of the car on the lower A-arm, a mechanic told me that if the joint is overtorqued during an alignment the the bolt can be stripped and it'll make noise. Same thing happened on right side and cost me $400. Could also be a ball joint. I doubt it is the strut, the struts on these cars a are designed to last a lifetime.
Old 06-17-08, 10:30 PM
AZLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Let me know what you find. The noise is bothersome but I cant hear it once I am going down the road. I having the timing belt and fluids changed. Then I am going to install the KYB GR2 struts. My struts are worn and it feels a bit floaty on the road. With a little work it should be back into shape. It sure is a hell of a car.
Old 06-19-08, 03:04 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had the 120k service done on my 01 UL at the dealer and they replaced my lower control arm bushings. I was having some noise and a loose feeling coming from the suspension, now its gone. I have the original air suspension shocks and they said they are fine.