LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Center console lid fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 07:16 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Got my fixed last weekend. Took maybe 20 min. Two screws were almost completely out and the next two were loose. Works perfectly now.
Old 09-11-12, 01:04 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we can help guys, try this:

2001-2003 LS430: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...or/-/5732.html

2004-2006 LS430: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...or/-/5733.html

Use promo code 'chemtj' for $30 off the already discount price.

Darrel
Old 09-11-12, 03:39 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

great price!
Old 09-11-12, 07:43 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Sewell. I'll be taking you up on that in a few days. I am working on an order to include the lid and several other parts I need. You guys have been most helpful with parts orders and information.
Old 09-20-12, 04:26 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just completed mine with new lid from Sewell. I used some #6 star lock washers on the screws. Works perfectly now. I hope with the lock washers that I never have to do this again.
Old 10-11-12, 02:43 PM
john339
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just repaired mine following your excellent instructions. Three screws loose one holding it all together.
I tightened them up with a little rubber cement and now it works like new.
Thank you for the help.
Old 10-14-12, 11:59 AM
tahiles
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this repair today and wanted to add my $.02 to hopefully help the next person.

After you remove the 6 10mm bolts and the one phillips screw holding the box in the box itself may not seem to want to move. Mine was VERY tight! There are a couple of clips holding the box in and you will have to wiggle it while pulling up. Mine was tight enough I went back to the computer and this post to make sure I hadn't missed anything before I applied more upward pressure. It will come, just needs a stern "talking to".

The wiring connectors are in front of the box. You don't need to be in the back seat to make this work. Once the box is loose you can push it rearwards to see the connectors. You won't be able to get your hand in the front to disconnect the plugs, but this "look" will give you a good idea of the plug location as well as the location of the release tabs on the plugs. Once you get a good idea where they are tilt the box forewards as much as possible (this is when it's a good idea to cover the console) and undo the two plugs by reaching in under the box from the back. If you power the seat all the way back and almost fully reclined you'll have plenty of room!

On the bottom side of the console lid, make sure you remove EVERY little black phillips screw you see including the one holding the black plastic latch AND the one underneath it! Don't miss any or the cover won't separate. I used a door panel tool to get the lid to separate from the black plastic housing, The fit was snug!

You will need either an offset phillips screwdirver or a stubby phillips for the gold colored screws that have come loose. There's NO WAY to get a standard length phillips on these screws unless you want to risk stripping them. I used a stubby #2 and it fit and worked very well.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for the original writeup. I love the fact that my console lid now locks and releases like it's supposed to!

Last edited by tahiles; 10-14-12 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LSGarry (04-30-18)
Old 10-14-12, 02:01 PM
john339
Driver

And think of the money you saved.
Old 10-15-12, 03:24 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is on order... Mmmmm, new leather OEM parts...
Old 10-15-12, 08:09 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by tahiles
Did this repair today and wanted to add my $.02 to hopefully help the next person.

After you remove the 6 10mm bolts and the one phillips screw holding the box in the box itself may not seem to want to move. Mine was VERY tight! There are a couple of clips holding the box in and you will have to wiggle it while pulling up. Mine was tight enough I went back to the computer and this post to make sure I hadn't missed anything before I applied more upward pressure. It will come, just needs a stern "talking to".

The wiring connectors are in front of the box. You don't need to be in the back seat to make this work. Once the box is loose you can push it rearwards to see the connectors. You won't be able to get your hand in the front to disconnect the plugs, but this "look" will give you a good idea of the plug location as well as the location of the release tabs on the plugs. Once you get a good idea where they are tilt the box forewards as much as possible (this is when it's a good idea to cover the console) and undo the two plugs by reaching in under the box from the back. If you power the seat all the way back and almost fully reclined you'll have plenty of room!

On the bottom side of the console lid, make sure you remove EVERY little black phillips screw you see including the one holding the black plastic latch AND the one underneath it! Don't miss any or the cover won't separate. I used a door panel tool to get the lid to separate from the black plastic housing, The fit was snug!

You will need either an offset phillips screwdirver or a stubby phillips for the gold colored screws that have come loose. There's NO WAY to get a standard length phillips on these screws unless you want to risk stripping them. I used a stubby #2 and it fit and worked very well.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for the original writeup. I love the fact that my console lid now locks and releases like it's supposed to!
I followed the instructions and removed all the bolts (including the screw) but the inner box was in there so tight, I just chickened out. I was putting a great deal of pressure as I was wiggling it, to the point where I felt it was going to snap. What direction to you push (or pull in) ? Is it straight up? I didn't want to have to spend several hundred dollars because I missed something.

Would you mind describing these clips that hold it in after you remove all of the bolts? Also, where the 12v outlet goes at the front of the box, does that need to be removed before the "inner" box comes out?

I just put it all back together and am living with it for the time being. I just know sometimes on these online DIY threads, a well meaning person can forget a detail.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-16-12, 08:44 AM
john339
Driver

The 12 volt outlet doesn't need to come out.
The two clips are at the front near the top. Mine took a lot of wriggling before it started to come out.
I used the lid as a lever wriggling it side to side and then the rear came up and the front followed.
The two clips won't keep it in although you better line them up as you re-seat when you are finished.
Also, don't let the wires that go to the rear of the console get under it when you are re-inserting the box.
I did that and they wouldn't let me re-insert the box.
I finally pulled it back up and saw the wires had slipped from the holder on the passenger side and were under the box.
After I put them back through the holder all was fine.
Old 11-20-12, 10:15 AM
joerogan
Rookie

Thank you for the write up. Just fixed mine and now it works like a charm.
Old 11-20-12, 10:48 AM
joerogan
Rookie

Btw all 4 screws were out.
Old 03-04-13, 07:40 AM
GypsyRose
Driver School Candidate

Great post! Had it fixed in an hour. Thanks.,
Old 03-31-13, 12:34 PM
gemineye
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread......I was having the same problem the rest were having (i.e., center console would only open up if I pushed it forward while unlatching). Thx to this thread, I now have a center console that functions as it should.

Two of the bolts were completely out and the other two were loose. I reassembled with #10 lock washers on these bolts as an attempt to not have to reperform this procedure in the future. Thx to OP and all who had great advice on this center console repair.

Quick Reply: Center console lid fix