LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Kind of going nuts? Can you help?....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 06:30 PM
LSMAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of going nuts? Can you help?....

Bought 2003 LS430 a month ago. Put new tires and after-market rims. After all is said and done, bumps are very harsh and lot of road noise. The rims are light aluminum after market rims so I assume that they are picking up more road noise and imperfections than a heavier factory rim? Is just does not feel or sound right.

Also, wind noise (very bad) on drivers side window. Has there been issues with poor sealing? Just curious. If I zip window all the way up and then tap the switch just for a second- the window will go down just a tad and the outside noise is a little quieter. However, still too much wind noise. High way speeds - forget about it.

Any help on the above?

LSMAN
Old 06-07-07, 06:49 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it an Ultra model?
Old 06-07-07, 07:04 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LSMAN
Bought 2003 LS430 a month ago. Put new tires and after-market rims. After all is said and done, bumps are very harsh and lot of road noise. The rims are light aluminum after market rims so I assume that they are picking up more road noise and imperfections than a heavier factory rim? Is just does not feel or sound right.

Also, wind noise (very bad) on drivers side window. Has there been issues with poor sealing? Just curious. If I zip window all the way up and then tap the switch just for a second- the window will go down just a tad and the outside noise is a little quieter. However, still too much wind noise. High way speeds - forget about it.

Any help on the above?

LSMAN
What size rims? Obviously the larger they are the lower profile tires you will be using in which there will be less "cushioning" causing hasher ride. Also, some tires are noisier than others. There is another thread on this forum on that.
Old 06-07-07, 07:15 PM
LSMAN
Driver School Candidate

Not UL model. Standard LS430. Rim and tire size exact 17 inch as from factory. Originally put on Kuhmos- were too loud. Then had Discount Tire remount some new Yoko's. Started out a little quieter.
Now loud after only 500 miles. Never really started out that quiet. Being, I can feel and hear all different type of pavement/s. Some loud, some quiet , etc... Nothing consistant and quiet.

The window noise has got me going nuts. I have it narrowed down to the window and rubber gasket that the window opens in closes in. However, not 100%. I know the LS460 had issues on wind noise. Does the LS430?

I though maybe the exterior mirrors might be causing wind sound. While driving retracted them- no difference.

The rubber seal looks a little dry, maybe it could have shrunk just enough to be causing this?

Help
Old 06-07-07, 09:14 PM
pacinitaly
Driver

Unhappy

LSMAN,

I too have serious wind noise on my 2003 LS430 ultra. 46000 miles on it
I have goodyear assurance tires 225/55/17 also bad ride.

You say mirrors can be pulled in while driving?
Old 06-07-07, 09:29 PM
LSMAN
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you can simply hit your exterior mirror switch and they will fold in. I did this while I was driving to see if the wind noise was pushing up through the mirrors.

Have you been able to locate your wind noise?
Are you driving on factory rims or after-market?

On cool thing, when you put car in reverse, the exterior mirrors turn down so you can see if something is on the ground to avoid hitting it. Cool.

Wind noise and harsh ride, not cool.

Need help here.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-07, 11:13 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with a tire that has a softer compound, or go with a fatter/thicker tire than factory specs. Stay away from economy tires like Kumho.
Old 06-08-07, 08:02 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want quiet and comfortable, try some Bridgestone Potenza ER33 tires in OEM size. I'm sure there are also some Michelins that will deliver, but I haven't actually had them on my LS so I don't know for certain. But the ER33s that were on my LS when I got it were dead silent on practically any road surface and the car felt like it was sitting still in terms of smoothness. Nothing short of amazing. Now that I'm on the 19" aftermarket wheels and tires the noise and harshness are a bit higher, despite my best efforts to avoid it. Next I'm switching to 19" Michelins and expecting that to help some. At present it's far quieter than most cars, just louder than I want an LS to be.
Old 06-08-07, 08:43 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

check your tire pressure, I had new Kumhos installed on my 01 and I thought they were harsh and stiff, until I checked the pressure - Discount Tire had them pumped up to 38 PSI, they should be at 32. Dropped the pressure and now they ride like a dream.
Old 06-08-07, 09:33 PM
LSMAN
Driver School Candidate

I am almost certain the lighter rims is picking up more road and noise intrusion. It has to be. I do have a few other issues besides the tire and ride quality and wind nosie but am too tired to get into details right now.

Will put a longer thread on in the next day or so with my few problems and see if my good friends on the forum can pipe in.

LSMAN
Old 06-09-07, 01:14 PM
mywong23
Driver

Originally Posted by LSMAN
I am almost certain the lighter rims is picking up more road and noise intrusion.....
you said your new rims are the same diameter, but lighter in weight?
how about the offset? wheels that protrude further out in the wheel well might pick up more road noise