LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can't dial while in motion??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 08:52 AM
340HP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't dial while in motion??

Using a bluetooth phone, you can't dial out a # using the car?
Old 03-09-05, 10:09 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, I believe the car has to be in park in order for you to be able to dial a number.
Old 03-09-05, 12:22 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

dial from your cell phone when the car is in motion.. simple solution
Old 03-09-05, 01:47 PM
340HP
Driver School Candidate

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. What's the point of hands-free then??? Even the Acura TL dials out while in motion.

There HAS to be a defeat switch or a hack for this. I'm in complete awe that this is a "feature" on such a premium luxury car. How limiting.

I'm sorry for all of you with LS430's and BT phones. This could be a deal-breaker for me. I'm very close to getting an M45 sport, but the LS430 was a strong contender.
Old 03-09-05, 04:53 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

I got my BT phone, Blackberry 7520, last Saturday and found the same thing. Really not an issue for me in dialing from the phone book on the phone and the car system then takes over. Only issue I found is not being able to use the screen to input voicemail codes so have reprogrammed the phone to do it with one-touch. My phone has a contact list of over 1,400 entries which is way too many for the Lexus books, only 500 entries, so dialing from the phone works fine without me having to redo listing.
Old 03-09-05, 08:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 340HP
That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. What's the point of hands-free then??? Even the Acura TL dials out while in motion.

There HAS to be a defeat switch or a hack for this. I'm in complete awe that this is a "feature" on such a premium luxury car. How limiting.

I'm sorry for all of you with LS430's and BT phones. This could be a deal-breaker for me. I'm very close to getting an M45 sport, but the LS430 was a strong contender.
even acura? umm.... besides acura, can you do it in any other cars? acura is the only manufacturer that i know of who actaully allow people to adjust their nav when driving, while all other manufacturers black that for safety issue. i guess the same thing apply to the phone as well
Old 03-09-05, 08:40 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

the lexus nas system wont let you enter destinations while the car is in motion the phone works in a similar way.. However you can dial directly from you phone and the bt system in the car will take over.. I find dialing from the phone easier then dialing from the nav.. the m45 is a really nice car plus its $10k less then a loaded ls.. def gives you somethign to think about.. i love the factory tv and dvd player
Old 03-09-05, 10:21 PM
340HP
Driver School Candidate

Yep, I was just going to mention the M35/45 have the ability to dial from the car while in motion. Same with the new RL.

I'm considering trading in my FX45 for the M45. We'll see. Altho, the LS430 was a strong contender.

I owned a 2002 Q45, which had many more goodies than the 2002 LS430 at the time.

Thanks everyone for responding. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-10-05, 04:52 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can dial using the one touch buttons. I believe there are 17 one touch butttons to put in programmed numbers and names - one button automatically has the last number dialed in it. I assume for re-dial capability. I find that being able to dial my 17 most frequently used numbers while the car is in motion is more than sufficient. By the way, for some reason the numbers disappear from the buttons when the car is in motion, but the name remains.

With respect to the Nav system, there are five pre-programmmed locations that can be accessed when the car is in motion. After that, you have to stop the car to program or change. I would certainly like to have the capability of adding/changing the Nav system with the car moving.
Old 03-14-05, 07:12 PM
oldhotrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have AT&T/ Cingular "Voice Dial" capability. This system allows you to access a web based, previously entered, phone number database with voice activation technology. Seems to me that if you used the Voice Dial access number (#121) as a pre-programed number on the Lexus screen, you should the be able to call up any of the previously programed numbers, and thus negate the 'only when parked restriction'. Anyone out there familiar with or currently using this Voice Dial system as a workaround?

Last edited by oldhotrod; 03-14-05 at 07:16 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-14-05, 08:16 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Lexus customer service today complaining about this. Why make the numbers disappear when the car is moving? It'd be like having the labels on all the buttons in the car vanish; it makes using the car more difficult. What is the point of having a Bluetooth car if the only time it really works is when the car is stopped? I'm starting to get frustrated. If Lexus is going to build Bluetooth-enabled cars, they need to understand that buyers don't want features disabled when the car is in motion. We opted for Bluetooth under the (mistaken) impression that we could place and receive telephone calls with ease in a moving car.

Why not have a way that I can manually enter names and phone numbers into my address book? Why not let me use the voice recognition built into both the car and the phone to dial phone numbers? My Motorola headset (HS 810) enables a much fuller interaction with my phone than does my $60,000 Lexus; with the BT headset I can dial phone numbers by using either name- or number-recognition.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 04-04-05, 04:02 PM
ikey78
Driver

There is a way to hack both the phone system and the Nav so that they are fully functional while the car is moving.

The phone fix involves cutting a speed sensor wire that goes into the back of the nav screen. I believe it is a purple and white wire. Mine was done by a local car stereo installer. The Bluetooth phone is now fully functional and I can dial calls as well as accress voice mail etc. It also gives you access to the settings so that you can select another phone or restore the Bluetooth connection. On the Motorola V600 and V551 the only way to go off handsfree (if you want privacy or if the other person is not hearing you well)is to drop the Bluetooth connection using the phone keypad. To reinitiate Bluetooth you have to either restart the car (obviously difficult if you are on the highway) or do it from the settings menu on the Nav screen.

I believe that this fix has been described previously on this and other LS forums.

The Nav fix involves a rocker switch below the dash which temporarily makes the system think that the car is not moving.

My feeling is that it is safer to dial from the Nav screen than with a small phone keyboard. I hope that Lexus changes this restriction and falls in line with other manufacturers.

With this modification, the Bluetooth phone feature works very well and has greatly enhanced an excellent car.
Old 06-24-05, 03:54 PM
Bennett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ikey78
There is a way to hack both the phone system and the Nav so that they are fully functional while the car is moving.

The phone fix involves cutting a speed sensor wire that goes into the back of the nav screen. I believe it is a purple and white wire. Mine was done by a local car stereo installer. The Bluetooth phone is now fully functional and I can dial calls as well as accress voice mail etc. It also gives you access to the settings so that you can select another phone or restore the Bluetooth connection. On the Motorola V600 and V551 the only way to go off handsfree (if you want privacy or if the other person is not hearing you well)is to drop the Bluetooth connection using the phone keypad. To reinitiate Bluetooth you have to either restart the car (obviously difficult if you are on the highway) or do it from the settings menu on the Nav screen.

I believe that this fix has been described previously on this and other LS forums.

The Nav fix involves a rocker switch below the dash which temporarily makes the system think that the car is not moving.

My feeling is that it is safer to dial from the Nav screen than with a small phone keyboard. I hope that Lexus changes this restriction and falls in line with other manufacturers.

With this modification, the Bluetooth phone feature works very well and has greatly enhanced an excellent car.
Did anybody do a write up on this? I might venture out and see if I can find this wire.
Old 06-25-05, 08:33 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Yes, I believe the thread was the "Getting rid of "iagree" FOREVER". It is a switch that can remove the speed input from the car. If you just "cut it" your nav will not work.

Don't argue with lexus about these issues- it's the Lawyers out there that caused this.

People trying to get a free ride in life will sue for anything, so Lexus, being VERY smart about this, but these safety features in.

My suggestion would be to get the M45, play with the phone entries whilie driving, get in a wreck, get rich, then go buy the LS430 with Infiniti's money.
Old 06-27-05, 01:20 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Why do you insist in driving and talking on the cell phone at the same time? Thats a major pet peeve people doing anything but drive this days while "driving"

Glad lexus had safety in mind in here.