LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 12:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Here is a shot of mine on stock wheels.

As for install, if you've lowered otehr cars, it is pretty much the same. Yes, the back seats do have to come out but it's not a big deal. Depending on the miles you have, you may consider replacing the strut mounts and strut bars while you have the car apart. Inspect for wear/damage.

I started in one mine but after getting one strut in, decided the task was easier accomplished by somone who has done it with regularity and has a lift. Typical cost is ~$225.

The Bilsteins have snap ring settings to adjust the ride height. Just be aware the lower you put it, the less strut travel you'll have. On my 2 setting Bilsteins, the two positions are 3/8" apart. The lowest setting will yield about 3/4"-1" of strut travel.
Old 04-09-05, 02:16 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Okay, this Jenso guy doesn't exist. I spent about an hour searching the forum for the post and couldn't find it and Jenso is not in the memberlist. Just curious what it looks like lowered with stock wheels.

Do I need to buy anything else, like mounts, or does this kit come with everything needed to install? Also, is the height adjustable once installed, or can it only be done before installing them?

Thanks,

Brian
Sorry his name is Jasoneo5.

Here is the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146951
Old 04-09-05, 02:26 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Here is a shot of mine on stock wheels.

As for install, if you've lowered otehr cars, it is pretty much the same. Yes, the back seats do have to come out but it's not a big deal. Depending on the miles you have, you may consider replacing the strut mounts and strut bars while you have the car apart. Inspect for wear/damage.

I started in one mine but after getting one strut in, decided the task was easier accomplished by somone who has done it with regularity and has a lift. Typical cost is ~$225.

The Bilsteins have snap ring settings to adjust the ride height. Just be aware the lower you put it, the less strut travel you'll have. On my 2 setting Bilsteins, the two positions are 3/8" apart. The lowest setting will yield about 3/4"-1" of strut travel.
I recently converted from A/S to the kit from Strumasters. The ride looks great now but I think the rear can be a little lower. I am getting measurements at 27"-front and 27 1/2-rear from the ground to the fenders. Should the measurements be equal all around?
Old 04-09-05, 03:28 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Unless you have air suspension, the rear is always higher because thats the side that takes on passenger load.
Old 04-09-05, 11:07 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I had my GS400 lowered with H&R and Bilsteins, but they were not height adjustable. I am not familiar with these snap rings. I am assuming it is something you can only adjust when installing. I read in this thread or another that you had it on the lowest setting in the front and a higher setting in the back. Can you notice the height difference when looking at the car from the side. Also, how does it look in person lowered with stock rims? Does it improve the appearance at all, or would you recommend waiting until I buy rims?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-10-05, 01:04 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Thanks for the pics. I had my GS400 lowered with H&R and Bilsteins, but they were not height adjustable. I am not familiar with these snap rings. I am assuming it is something you can only adjust when installing. I read in this thread or another that you had it on the lowest setting in the front and a higher setting in the back. Can you notice the height difference when looking at the car from the side. Also, how does it look in person lowered with stock rims? Does it improve the appearance at all, or would you recommend waiting until I buy rims?

Thanks,

Brian
Jump on the deal before they run out, this suspension setup usually sells for $1200. By the way, you can adjust them any time (as I been told).

YES, you can notice the height difference, esp on my car because it looks like a 4X4 now.
Old 04-10-05, 09:15 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Yea, I picked the set up as soon as I saw the deal. I mean, the car has nearly 100k on it; I'm gonna have to replace the shocks and springs sometime anyway. $200 is insane.

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
YES, you can notice the height difference, esp on my car because it looks like a 4X4 now.
Sorry, I meant if you could tell the height difference between having the lowest setting on the front and highest setting on the back. If they're adjustable any time, I may just go with the highest setting for both front and back while I have stock rims.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-10-05, 01:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You might be able to adjust them on car but trying to get a spring compressor in there will be a challenge. This is one of those set it and leave it deals.

My initial fender well measurments taken from my garage flooor with stock wheels 225/60-16 Michelin XGT's at 32#'s pressure:

Before
Left Right
Front 28.25" 28.50"
Rear 28.25 28.625"

After
Left Right
Front 26.50" 26.58"
Rear 27.00" 27.25"

Front snap ring at lowest setting, back at highest setting. With the 18's and 245/40-18 rubber, the car now sits about .50" lower. One finger gap up front and two in the rears. The right side on mine the front is 1/8" higher and back is 1/4-3/8" higher depending on gas level.
Old 05-18-05, 04:13 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Default Help! L-Sportline suspension rattles.

I had L-Sportline adjustable springs and shocks installed today. I adjusted the setting to the second lowest all the way around. Looks pretty good; rides, well, like it's lowered. The rear, however, is rattling like CRAZY on every bump. I remember seeing a post here about how the bilsteins have that loose aluminum piece that the springs rest on and that can cause rattling. But that piece is loose on the stock shocks as well. And my GS400 had bilsteins and H&Rs and they didn't rattle.

The installer said he noticed that there was a lot of play in the rear springs (fronts were fine) after he put the shock and spring together on the compressor. He said he could move the spring around. He seems to think that because of the shorter Eibach spring and lower setting on the shock, it is causing the loose spring to bounce around on bumps. It's doing some major rattling on just about every little bump.

I obviously can't leave it as is, as driving around with that noise would quickly drive me insane. So I wonder, do you think putting the height setting back to the default might help? Default is the second highest setting and about 3/8" higher up on the shock than its current setting. Do any of you with the L-Sportlines have rattling with it at the default setting? I am thinking about adjusting them up in the rear and leaving the front as is, but that would **** me off if it's still going to rattle.

Otherwise, do you know of anything I can put on or around the springs or that spring mount to dampen the rattling? It's like I need a spring to keep the spring in place. I was thinking it would be cool to be able to put a layer of rubber on the top of the mount so it wouldn't clank so much when the spring rattled around.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Brian
Old 05-18-05, 08:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

WELCOME TO MY WORLD for the past 4 weeks now. I couldn’t align the car since it isn’t completely fixed, nor do I know what’s wrong. I'm just buying parts left and right for it now trying to figure out what’s wrong.

I have mine on the default setting, yet it still rattles on bumps and uneven surfaces. Its driving me crazy. I been driving my LS, with no rear seats, and a rattling suspension that’s about to drive me insane. Please help.

The front is fine, but the rear has serious issues!!!

I'm glad i know its not just my LS, because now we have a case with L-sportline, or whatever is left of it.
Old 05-19-05, 12:21 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I posted a link to this thread in the maintenance forum, in case someone else has advice or suggestions. I Googled and found out there is something called a helper spring, whose job is to keep the main spring in place on bumps. Maybe it might help if we could get something like this for our springs. Though, makes me wonder, shouldn't these have worked out of the box?

Brian
Old 05-19-05, 04:13 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I posted a link to this thread in the maintenance forum, in case someone else has advice or suggestions. I Googled and found out there is something called a helper spring, whose job is to keep the main spring in place on bumps. Maybe it might help if we could get something like this for our springs. Though, makes me wonder, shouldn't these have worked out of the box?

Brian

Yes they should have!! Hopefully the GS guys can chime in also and help.
Old 05-19-05, 11:37 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The noise is from the top two turns of the coil spring hitting each other..............remove rear strut and spring and unbolt so you can slid a rubber hose around coils where they touch, you will see coating rubbed off inbetween the coils and that is where the noise is coming from.
Old 05-19-05, 12:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Lexkost
The noise is from the top two turns of the coil spring hitting each other..............remove rear strut and spring and unbolt so you can slid a rubber hose around coils where they touch, you will see coating rubbed off inbetween the coils and that is where the noise is coming from.
Thanks for the help mike. So your saying I have to take them apart completely to do this? I wonder what type of hose will tightly fight and last down there?

Isn’t this considered a design flaw?
Old 05-19-05, 12:30 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Thanks for the help mike. So your saying I have to take them apart completely to do this? I wonder what type of hose will tightly fight and last down there?

Isn’t this considered a design flaw?
Yes to both questions, I forgot what size I.D. hose but get a good quality hose .

Too bad your not in SoCal, I can remove rear struts and the springs in less than an hour !

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)