LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Bag Lighis is On

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 10:27 AM
katz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Lighis is On

Anyone expeiencing thier Ar Bag Light staying on? Does this mean a trip to the dealer or is this a quick fix with a reset button?
help!
katz
Old 03-15-03, 11:44 AM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could be bad news. The air bag has a computer "self check" it goes thru every time you start the car. Your owners manual tells about it. I had the same problem with my 91 LS 400. The air bag light was staying on once in awhile, then it would stay out for a while. Finally it stayed on all the time. I had to have a new air bag computer installed to the tune of almost 900.00. When the light is on, the airbag will not deploy in a crash. There are companies that specialize in air bag repairs and do most of the work for large body shops. These air bag compaines have all the test equipment and can certify that all systems are working etc. This is serious business, and some body shops do not want the liability of working on them. You might try to find one of these air bag repair companies thru a body shop, and then call them to inquire about a repair. I would attemp to get a a salvage computer module and have them install it. I was told that most of the dash has to come out to replace this computer, but maybe someone else might know more about this, or offer other suggestions.

Pilot
91 LS400
01 RX300
Old 03-17-03, 09:06 PM
azari
Intermediate

have you recently jumped the car? If so that's probably why. Mine was on, and I took it in and they reset it, and now it's off.......... nothing serious at all.
good luck
Old 03-17-03, 09:20 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

I had this same problem in my 99 ES 300. Air Bag light started flashing ON & OFF. Sometimes would stay off and then come back on to begin flashing.

I was reading through the manual or some other website and found a connection between the air bag light and the seat belt. Newer models have a sensor in the seat belt and if it is sticking then the air bag light will do that. That entire system is connected.

My dealer denied that this could possibly be the problem but I insisted that he change the seat belt anyway since it was sticky (wouldn't retract fast enough, kind of had to feed it in there) and he said he could do it no charge since it was still under warranty (60K).

Replaced the seat belt and the air bag light has not come back on. He was amazed that fixed it. So I hope I haven't just jinxed myselft but so far so good. That was about 4K ago.

Is your selt belt retracting normal?

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-17-03 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 08:40 PM
jeffl
Driver School Candidate

Default Easy to Reset

I had the same problem and took my LS (1990) to a local garage where they work on Lexus quite a bit. They tried conventional methods but couldn't reset it. Then I found this info posted elsewhere in this forum. I tried it & it Worked like a charm!

I modified the info a bit to help clarify some of the steps:

1. Make two jump wires, each about three feet long. 18 gage, insulated, solid copper (doorbell wire) works best for this procedure. Strip about 1/4" of insulation at each end of both wires.
2. Find the OBDI connector (it's in the center of the engine bay next to the intake)
3. Open it up and find AB & TC sockets.
4. Plug a jump wire into each socket. I don't know whether it matters but I was careful to keep the other ends of the wires from touching other stuff--or each other--at this point.
5. Now, touch the other ends of the wires (one wire at a time) to the negative battery terminal, alternating TC, AB, TC, AB at about one second intervals.
6. Continue for about 7-10 seconds.

Note: This worked for me on the first try. I am told that if it doesn't work, try either speeding up or slowing down the TC, AB, TC, routine.

While I did this, I had my son stand outside the drivers side door with the window up (I was a little concerned that the airbag might deploy!) and observe what was happening on the instrument panel. He said the airbag light began to flash; slow at first, then faster and faster until it went out.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-03, 09:15 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Wow, sounds complicated. You sure you just didn't short-out everything j/k
Old 03-19-03, 07:22 AM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Talking AIR BAG LIGHT ON

Just take it to your Lexus dealer they reset them for free. This can happen when you remove the battery or it goes dead and the key is in the on postion.

Old 03-19-03, 09:43 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I am not sure if all the dealers will do it for free. They make money off repairs. Take it to a local body shop. They should have a portable scanner that can reset the Air Bag Light. Most cars in an auto accident will cause the air bag light to come on. Its called the SRS Scanner and they are very specific. The one they used on my car was for of course Toyota/Lexus. They can do it for your for $25. I had the same problem. Secondly, there are sensors in your driver and passager seat. Certain none normal position can trigger the light.

If you live in LA, I can hook you up with the shop. I tried the AB and TC method and it did not work.
Old 03-19-03, 09:52 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My airbag light was one all the time, but when I crashed at 20mph it went off.
Old 03-08-11, 08:41 PM
icevideot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeffl
I had the same problem and took my LS (1990) to a local garage where they work on Lexus quite a bit. They tried conventional methods but couldn't reset it. Then I found this info posted elsewhere in this forum. I tried it & it Worked like a charm!

I modified the info a bit to help clarify some of the steps:

1. Make two jump wires, each about three feet long. 18 gage, insulated, solid copper (doorbell wire) works best for this procedure. Strip about 1/4" of insulation at each end of both wires.
2. Find the OBDI connector (it's in the center of the engine bay next to the intake)
3. Open it up and find AB & TC sockets.
4. Plug a jump wire into each socket. I don't know whether it matters but I was careful to keep the other ends of the wires from touching other stuff--or each other--at this point.
5. Now, touch the other ends of the wires (one wire at a time) to the negative battery terminal, alternating TC, AB, TC, AB at about one second intervals.
6. Continue for about 7-10 seconds.

Note: This worked for me on the first try. I am told that if it doesn't work, try either speeding up or slowing down the TC, AB, TC, routine.

While I did this, I had my son stand outside the drivers side door with the window up (I was a little concerned that the airbag might deploy!) and observe what was happening on the instrument panel. He said the airbag light began to flash; slow at first, then faster and faster until it went out.

Good luck!
I had replaced my instrument cluster and turned the key on without everything being plugged up to it. Big mistake as the Airbag light never went off.

It took a few tries but this worked great on my 95 es300. The diagnostic port is actually under the dash just below the fuse box. The OBD2 connector next to the fuses does not have these ports. There is a round port labeled DIAGNOSTIC that has 17 ports including TC and AB. The door to the port has a diagram labeling them on the inside.

I managed to make the airbag light blink both with the key on ACC and turned to run but did not start the engine. It happened to be turned to run when I got the timing right but I think that was a coincidence.

Big thanks to everyone involved in this forum.
Attached Thumbnails Air Bag Lighis is On-dsc_0029_575.jpg  
Old 10-01-13, 04:52 PM
hcvdg
Driver School Candidate

Success!

1990 LS400, there may be two ports on a 1990, one on the engine and another under the steering wheel.

The one under the hood had lots of grease, so I used the other one.

I took the two leads from my multi-meter, and stuck one end in each "pin" and touched them, as described, to a bolt in the door hinge. Worked. Wish I'd done this years ago - took 10 min.
Old 10-01-13, 08:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

my air bag light flickers partially on and intermittently - what the heck does that mean?
Old 10-02-13, 09:26 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all the connectors under the front seat (both if you have a passenger airbag also).
What can happen is the seat is moved after being in a fixed position for a long time perhaps after a new owner readjusts the seats to their liking.
This can strain the wiring and connectors and give rise to poor intermittent connections flagging up the SRS warning light.
Just make sure the battery negative is disconnected and leave the car at least 10 minutes for the back up capacitors to fully discharge before doing any work on the SRS system.
Another thing to check are the connections to the front seat belt pretensioners.
The Airbag ECU is below and behind where the ashtray sits,access to the wiring can be made by pulling back the carpet running up the driver's side of the center console but to actually remove the unit is a major trim out job.
All SRS plugs are colored yellow and carry more wrapping on the loom insulation.
Old 10-15-18, 06:27 AM
Lexyboy
Driver School Candidate

hmm. airbag light on constantly in my 92 es300 and the seat belt retraction is slow, like you said you have to feed it in there. my try that fix.