LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice Needed: 95 LS400 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 12:06 AM
Trop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice Needed: 95 LS400 Issues

So I bought my first car not too long ago. It's a 1995 Lexus LS400 but she's not in the greatest condition. It runs and drives but will need a few pricey upgrades before it's back on the road. I'm only 17 and I don't have the greatest knowledge when it comes to vehicles so I'm hoping a little advice will help me get started.

Little Problems:
- The doors will automatically lock without me pressing anything.
- The speedometer doesn't work

Big Problems:
- I believe it has the wrong size of coilovers on it because when I tried raising the front end it wouldn't go any higher than it was which was very low. What would be the best choice of cheap coilovers for me?
- The brake calipers in the front are worn down from someone putting the wrong size rim on if I'm correct. I don't know if this is a serious issue or not.
- When I got the car the exhaust was broken right off near the middle of the car. Are there exhaust parts I can buy that will connect to where it's broken?

Any help/tips is greatly appreciated. Looking for recommended parts and any other info.
Thank you!

Trop's LS400
Old 10-31-14, 02:27 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

On my 92 when I open the driver door with remote and I think the key to, if I close it and walk away, when I come back its locked. So must be normal. I think its a time thing and if all doors are unlocked. I don't know. It maybe mentioned in the owners manual.
Speedometer could be the sensor, or the electronics, you need Yamae for that one .
Its too low, and likely why the exhaust is messed up. I don't understand why people think that is cool.
Old 10-31-14, 02:54 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Its a distance from the key fob as well as a timer in most cars.

As for the lowered aspect. What suspension is the car sitting on? Take it to an exhaust shop, they should be able to weld the pipes back together for less than $50 if its just a quick weld back together.

The calipers are fine if they are ground down a little, but if its a lot, then its not ideal. Rockauto.com for that one.
Old 10-31-14, 09:01 AM
Trop
Driver School Candidate

I'm not entirely sure about the suspension, all I know is that it's sitting on coilovers no idea what kind. I would weld it back together myself but I don't have the other piece that broke off :/
Thanks for the help though guys!
Old 10-31-14, 11:28 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

welcome young lad, with a nice car!

do the doors lock a few seconds after starting the car, and unlock after shutting the motor off? that could be an aftermarket alarm doing that. if it randomly locks/unlocks, then it's another issue.

speedo not working is a big issue to me. that means the mileage shown is not true anymore, where it could indicate you have 180,000km but really have 300,000! i would start at the vehicle speed sensor and see if anyone has tampered with it. if your car has (or had) an aftermarket navigation system in it, it is possible the PO tapped the VSS signal for it, and now it's not working.

take a pic of the coilovers for us and we can tell you what it is. maybe you are adjusting it wrong. hoping it is not for a completely different car.

the brake calipers are ok if they are not leaking. being shaved down is normal (but not ideal) when folks don't want to run spacers for the aftermarket wheels to clear the calipers.

exhaust can be welded at you local exhaust shop. you can do it yourself but you'll have to find a new piece that is missing. auto shops sell exhaust piping off the shelf!

this is a lot to tackle, do the major stuff first like exhaust and speedo. keep us updated!