LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

aftermarket stereo and factory sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 09:33 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
Why? The information on this issue is contradictory and confusing. What is it about the factory amp that makes it so problematical to use with an aftermarket head unit? And what is inside the Beatsonic unit that makes it possible?
It's the way lexus designed the three components (Hu, amp, and sub) to "speak" to each other.

I'm no expert but from what I understand the architecture is insanely more complex than your everyday off the shelf stereo system. So much so, that beatsonic is the only manufacturer to design a "workaround" harness in all these years.

But I have read a few threads on CL where members have had success with splicing and some other methods Ala Kansas and that best buy installer.
Old 08-25-14, 02:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there are data connections (tx/rx) between the headunit and amp.
Old 08-25-14, 08:18 PM
msweber97
Driver

ok so has a nakamichi premium system and was able to make the factory sub work and how exactly?
Old 08-26-14, 12:47 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by CMDSlick
Yes it works.

I have a 93 LS400 and I installed a Pioneer AVT-X2600BT in my dash. One of the things I did extensive research on beforehand was seeing about installing it so as to use the factory sub. My friend who is a sound engineer helped me with the install (I could have done it myself but like the company) and we tackled the whole install in a little less than 4 hours.

The sub harness is the third harness that doesn't plug into the prebuilt easy wiring harnesses you can purchase. It also has some wiring built in for the cell phone if that was an option that you had.

The trick is to grab an old RCA cable and slice it open and separate your negative and positive wires so that you can either solder or do crimp ends on them (we did crimp ends). And then you hook those up to the factory sub wires by just cutting them from the harness. You can also get the crimp t connectors if you prefer to leave the original harness in tact. Now of course this will only give you mono, but it will work marvelously. I have it working perfectly with no problems.

I can't find the diagram for the life of me right now, but if you are looking at the end of the wire harness it is the two left wires top and bottom I believe. I can try and grab some pics when I'm in there next, which should be about a month from now.
Originally Posted by CMDSlick
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...market-hu.html

The pic in this looks just like what I did. Try that. Even though it is a different model works exactly the same.
look like someone found the answer!

to summarize:
- get an RCA cable, and cut one end off
- the cut side, tap into the factory harness as shown in the pic below
- install the RCA side on the "SUB OUT" of the aftermarket HU

am i correct?

sub harness to HU tapped for RCAs
Old 08-26-14, 06:20 PM
msweber97
Driver

That would work if only my harness had those exact wires, mine has a lot more in it. Probably due to the difference in the systems they put in the cars
Old 08-26-14, 06:44 PM
Largefarva
Driver

This is an awesome thread, gonna try this. Have a GS parts car I can steal the sub from, but how do I know if my car still has the amp? Anyone know where it is? Also, which wires go to which? On the sub out you usually have a red and a black, no? I'm gonna pull my radio this week if I get time, I could use more bass.
Old 08-26-14, 08:20 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
look like someone found the answer!

to summarize:
- get an RCA cable, and cut one end off
- the cut side, tap into the factory harness as shown in the pic below
- install the RCA side on the "SUB OUT" of the aftermarket HU

am i correct?

sub harness to HU tapped for RCAs
Exactly. The only thing the beatsonic does is take line level inputs and convert them to low level inputs, and then send to the exact same connectors. The only thing better than what I did would be to take both rca connectors and combine the signals to create a mono. This way you would get both left and right channels into the mono input to the amp. However, most mixes today do not mix the low level frequencies with much stereo variation as there is very little direction that can be applied to low level frequencies. So one channel works great for me.

This works for my year 93 and 94... but I'm not sure about other years. As msweber97 says, the exact harness in the pic may not be the same. However, if you can get a diagram and if the amp only requires a low level input without any other signal for power, then the method would be the same with the only difference being the wires used to send the signal. The only other variation which may be an interference is that my system is a Pioneer rather than the Nakamichi.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-14, 08:42 PM
msweber97
Driver

yeah that must be the difference then since mine being a nakamichi and yours a pioneer, there are a lot more wires in my harnesses. Hopefully i can find a wiring diagram for the nakamichi system and make it work!
Old 08-31-14, 07:33 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by msweber97
ok so has a nakamichi premium system and was able to make the factory sub work and how exactly?
If you're not the mechanically/electronically/breakfix inclined type just get the Beatsonic and move on. It's expensive as all get out, but not so much when you factor in the subwoofer cost savings.

I went with it, but then noticed my original subwoofer cone was torn to shreds. I bought another OEM on Ebay and I couldn't be happier. DVD, bluetooth, HDRadio, SiriusXM, Pandora and plenty of bass for my 49 year old ears.
Old 08-31-14, 07:41 AM
msweber97
Driver

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
If you're not the mechanically/electronically/breakfix inclined type just get the Beatsonic and move on. It's expensive as all get out, but not so much when you factor in the subwoofer cost savings.

I went with it, but then noticed my original subwoofer cone was torn to shreds. I bought another OEM on Ebay and I couldn't be happier. DVD, bluetooth, HDRadio, SiriusXM, Pandora and plenty of bass for my 49 year old ears.
More then able to do stuff like this no need to buy an overprised harness, just need some time to figure it out and get the wiring diagram for the 93 ls400 nakamichi system. Once done i may be able to get my brother in law to start building whatever harness if needed and sell some for cheap to help other people out.