LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trany noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 10:21 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

since you have the trans filter off, might as well replace it with new. our trannies are pretty solid and forgiving, even if regular maintenance is skipped but not bulletproof.

what i would do is check if your ECU capacitors have been updated. it might not be related but it should be taken care of regardless. you might hit two birds with one stone.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

was the trans fluid replaced recently? i read that if the fluid was overdue it should slowly be replaced, not flushed all at once, as not to shock the transmission of the new fluid.
Old 08-12-14, 04:24 AM
Mtdave2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
since you have the trans filter off, might as well replace it with new. our trannies are pretty solid and forgiving, even if regular maintenance is skipped but not bulletproof.

what i would do is check if your ECU capacitors have been updated. it might not be related but it should be taken care of regardless. you might hit two birds with one stone.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

was the trans fluid replaced recently? i read that if the fluid was overdue it should slowly be replaced, not flushed all at once, as not to shock the transmission of the new fluid.
Interesting ecu post..crazy. The car runs great..just shifts a little hard and has this noise. I just bought the car and knew about the noise. Fluid has been in there a little while, it's red but you can tell its been ran a bit. I have a trany shop going to take a look and see what they say.

I am still very surprised no one knows this sound, it is very distinct. Once I find the cause I will forever know what it is when a Lexus makes this noise.
Old 08-12-14, 12:04 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It is distinct, but probably you've one of the few who've had it and posted it up. Cannot fathom what it could be but awaiting response. Does it shift hard all the gears or just a few?
Also great link tim, I'll be busy reading that for break

goodluck Dave
Old 08-13-14, 04:27 AM
Mtdave2
Driver

For the heck of it I'm going to put a new Orem filter in and change the fluid to toyota type 4. Guess that will take that part out of the equation

I have noticed that it shifts hard in all gears, 1 to 2 , and park to drive are the hardest.,
Old 08-13-14, 10:35 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

how is your transmission mount? chances are it's bad (very common) which results in hard shifts as you are describing. very easy to replace the mount.

this thread also covers the engine mounts, but may not be necessary to change yet, though they do go out together.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html
Old 08-13-14, 07:26 PM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtdave2
For the heck of it I'm going to put a new Orem filter in and change the fluid to toyota type 4. Guess that will take that part out of the equation

I have noticed that it shifts hard in all gears, 1 to 2 , and park to drive are the hardest.,
First use only fluide types that the book calls for in you trans. Second you my have a bad vacuum leak at the trans.I say this because of the hard shifting you have, there is a vacuum control valve that adjust the hardness of the shifting and I think it is located some where on the right side of the trans about mid way,The noise would go away as the rpm and vacuum start to level off and the noise would get louder as you speed up the rpm because the control value would be trying to open and as it activates, the valve would make this type of noise. To test this ,just pinch off the vacuum line that goes to the trans and if this is the problem the noise will go away.
Old 08-15-14, 05:07 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

well I tried the home flush deal. I will never pay to have that done again! It is really simple IMHO.

Just drain the pan, fill the pan. take off the hose from the transition, the one by the lower radiator hose. attach a long hose, put in a bucket. start the car, and begin dumping the new trans fluid in the funnel stuffed in the dipstick. Watch the fluid dumping in the bucket for a color change, while you keep pouring fluid in the funnel. Once the fluid looks new, stop the motor. connect the hose. and top off trany. how easy is that. If you wanted to add a filter change and pan clean out, obviously you could do that easy enough.

I did get the trany to make the sound again right after the change, but i am going to drive it a bit and see what happens. it did sound different. If it is still there I will just start the pulling of the motor/trans.

Don't think I posted this, but I bought this ls400 as a donor car. the motor/trans is going in my toyota RV.

I will post what i find. If the sound does not go away, once it is out I will start tearing it apart to find out wtf the noise was.
Old 08-15-14, 05:12 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

Kram, i forgot to look for the vacuum thing. I will check it out when it is on the rams again. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-17-14, 11:44 AM
Mtdave2
Driver

here are some results... after flush the noise got better, but did not go away. Pulled the motor and trany, one motor mount totally separated, the other 75%.may be the reason for the hard shifts? Did not see a vacuum thing on the trany, there is a vent at the top, no vacuum line.

will update will I learn more.