LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 Ls400 on borrowed time. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 10:43 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They could all be telling you it's a HG because YOU are focusing in symptoms, that don't really exist, that are pointing them in that direction.

No offense to anyone but 99% of male car owners are the worst people for a mechanic to talk to to figure out a problem. Their ego and preconceived notions of what is wrong influence their story/descriptions of problems and lead to improper diagnosis and repairs. That's not a sign of a shady mechanic, that's the sign of a dumb person who cannot ignore the story of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.
Old 04-18-14, 10:51 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Oil cap looks fine, so does the VC.

Get that coolant out of there ASAP. If you did put green in with the red, that mix can cause problems of it's own.

On old, poorly maintained cars, a littl bit of fluid loss is to be expected!
Old 04-18-14, 12:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

This is an obvious BHG symptom:

Your cooling system exhibits places for loss and those hoses and gaskets will need to be changed. The radiator drain **** O-ring will allow coolant to drain out the lower drain tube and be unnoticeable. Mine was losing about 3 ounces a month and I'd not seen any signs around the hoses or thermostat housing . I'd have missed it except one day I left the car running in the garage and noticed a small red drip right from the lower drain tube. Pulled the drain **** and replaced the O-ring. No more coolant loss.

Do the cooling system first.
Old 04-18-14, 12:40 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

So I feel better. I just talked to a guy in service. I told him I might have a blown head gasket and I told him all the symptoms. He just started laughing and said I was being way too paranoid, and there was no way in hell I had a blown or leaking head gasket without overheating, white smoke, and water in my oil. I told him I get a lot of water when I hit the rev limiter and he asked me why the heck I was hitting the rev limiter on a Ls400 and kind of yelled at me for ******* such a nice example of a Ls400.. Lol. (Turns out half the guys in the shop know and admire my car so that helps) and that I have "one of the cleanest Ls400s they've ever seen" they said I'm in dire need of a tune up but that's about it. Whew!
Old 04-18-14, 01:21 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Hope that is the case, but get the coolant changed out as that is not part of a tune up...
Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 04-18-14, 02:41 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, this is why I tend to ignore male customers, who have tried to diagnose a problem on their own, and just diagnose the problem as I would normally... Guys don't really tell you the symptoms, they try and tell you what the problem is, ego up front and without any clue as to what they are talking about most of the time.
Same reason why I love female customers sooooo much more, they can explain the symptoms and how the car feels soooo much better than 99% guys ever could. Even if they have no idea of the technical terminology and function of a system.

Pisses guys off to no end, when I ask their wife/GF what is wrong and ignore their input. But 100% of the time it's easier to diagnose.

Moral of the story, focus on the symptoms not the problem and you can avoid stressful situations like this in the future. You are ALWAYS better off not trying to diagnose a problem, and gathering as much info as possible to pass along to someone who knows what's up.
Old 04-18-14, 04:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I was feeling from the start that the OP was being a little paranoid but you have to take everyones issues seriously and sometimes it takes 3 pages before we figure out there is no problem. That's why I asked if he was cool with ANY of the techs because I would have asked these guys before any random mechanic about the LS. I hopr it works out and let us know how it ends.
Old 04-18-14, 04:48 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Glad it's not about to blow up. Well my old man still thinks it's gunna blow up. He told me that he still wants to get me a honda accord or civic cause "that old ****box is gunna explode sooner or later" hell if he wants to give me a honda I'm not gunna say no. It's a free second car lol
Old 04-18-14, 08:37 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ur not out of the "water" yet ..not having a blown head gasket is a relief..but truth be told, mixing that coolant causes ur coolant to gel up, it can and will clog ur radiator..heater core and ruin ur water pump or cause early failure..also use distilled water for any procedure like flushing..filling or adding
Old 04-19-14, 05:00 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
So I feel better. I just talked to a guy in service. I told him I might have a blown head gasket and I told him all the symptoms. He just started laughing and said I was being way too paranoid, and there was no way in hell I had a blown or leaking head gasket without overheating, white smoke, and water in my oil. I told him I get a lot of water when I hit the rev limiter and he asked me why the heck I was hitting the rev limiter on a Ls400 and kind of yelled at me for ******* such a nice example of a Ls400.. Lol. (Turns out half the guys in the shop know and admire my car so that helps) and that I have "one of the cleanest Ls400s they've ever seen" they said I'm in dire need of a tune up but that's about it. Whew!
Glad things are improving but man... i cringe at the thought of redlining an LS. I am with your service guy, that is not taking care of her!
Old 04-20-14, 03:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Lol i've revved the hell out of my LS, even drag raced it several times (i've got the timeslips to prove it, don't race with 20's kids ) and it runs like a top.

It's all about maintenance.