LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How Many Fans does your UCF 21 come with ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 10:09 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How Many Fans does your UCF 21 come with ?

Members,
My UCF-21 with stock 1UZ-FE engine has ONE Hydraulic Fan. However, i was recently informed that another vehicle like this has the Hydraulic Fan setup, as well as an electric fan in-front of the condensor. I would just like confirmation whether or not any of the other UCF21s have both ?

P.S - My temperature maintains at half gauge level
Old 02-05-14, 03:43 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

There is just one fan behind the radiator.
Old 02-05-14, 04:30 PM
Yamae

See this below.
Why don't you measure the actual water temperature before you worry? An infrared thermometer will give you the measuring result in 1 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails How Many Fans does your UCF 21 come with ?-hydraulic-cooling-system.jpg  
Old 02-05-14, 05:03 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Hmmm, thanks...I will as soon as the LCD Digital Thermometer you recommended arrives. I havent received tracking info yet, therefore it hasn't arrived in the U.S yet from Hong Kong.
Old 02-05-14, 05:39 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Your profile says you have a 1994 LS400. The 1990-1994 LS400 sold in the U.S. had two electric fans in front of the radiator. The 1995-2000 LS400 sold in the U.S. had only one electric fan in front of the radiator.

The number of electric fans installed in front of the radiator varied depending on the country in which the car was sold.
Old 02-05-14, 05:51 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
Your profile says you have a 1994 LS400. The 1990-1994 LS400 sold in the U.S. had two electric fans in front of the radiator. The 1995-2000 LS400 sold in the U.S. had only one electric fan in front of the radiator.

The number of electric fans installed in front of the radiator varied depending on the country in which the car was sold.
Must commend you on your research and depth of feedback you provide. Thanks..But I joined the club when I bought my Celsior....only a couple weeks subsequent to my purchase I was able to view the registration card for the full vehicle info...

Its a JDM 1996 TOYOTA CELSIOR--UCF21
Old 02-05-14, 05:54 PM
Yamae

I recently found a company which had been exporting old JDM Celsiors. Some of them were still in good condition but some totally bad. Actually the company had been running a junk yard.
Old 02-05-14, 06:03 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Interesting. Yamae, as you advised I think i would replace my Hydraullic fan set-up with another...Do you have a part number ?
Old 02-05-14, 06:15 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by MattLS400
Interesting. Yamae, as you advised I think i would replace my Hydraullic fan set-up with another...Do you have a part number ?
You can find major parts at below but not everything.
http://www.epc-data.com/
Old 02-06-14, 02:10 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why replace? Just add a set of fans and keep the hydraulic fan as well. Added protection. Have you confimed that the fan is causing your over heat condition?
Old 02-06-14, 03:36 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, the hydraulic fan system is a very good one, I would keep it!
Old 02-06-14, 06:01 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Why replace? Just add a set of fans and keep the hydraulic fan as well. Added protection. Have you confimed that the fan is causing your over heat condition?
1- I am unsure if I even have an overheating condition since I havent found wts the normal operating temp of these cars...But the general consensus from the forum brings me to the conclusion that its supposed to be a little under the half gauge level

2- Thats why I posted the videos, to confirm whether or not that my Hydraullic Fan is operating like it should be....i.e the lack of power with which its spins

3-The only way of confirming, is using the thermometer to check the temp, which hasn't arrived yet..

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Yes, the hydraulic fan system is a very good one, I would keep it!
I guess im keeping it then...Time to look for an aftermarket Fan to mount infront of my Condensor....I wonder how much more cooling will this provide
Old 02-06-14, 07:24 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattLS400
1- I am unsure if I even have an overheating condition since I havent found wts the normal operating temp of these cars...But the general consensus from the forum brings me to the conclusion that its supposed to be a little under the half gauge level
did you confirm that your electric fan is on when the car is at half way on gauge and also on whenever A/C is on?

2- Thats why I posted the videos, to confirm whether or not that my Hydraullic Fan is operating like it should be....i.e the lack of power with which its spins
the hydraulic fan is dynamic, it spins at different speeds by design

3-The only way of confirming, is using the thermometer to check the temp, which hasn't arrived yet..
an infrared thermometer isn't going to tell you what you need to know, you need a thermometer that has a remote sensor that can be immersed in the coolant (or just a new real Toyota ECTS and a good multimeter)

I guess im keeping it then...Time to look for an aftermarket Fan to mount infront of my Condensor....I wonder how much more cooling will this provide
the real LS400 fans are easy to find, because they almost never go bad, just rig up a second one, like the 94 and earlier models had - screw aftermarket, when the real thing is cheap on ebay or the junkyard

but really, you should not need any extra fan, just get to the bottom of why it is overheating in the first place, there aren't that many things it can be, maybe 10 reasons, max.

an extra fan is just covering up the real issue - it's like the guy who has a check engine light on, the solution is NOT some black tape so he can no longer see the light!
Old 02-06-14, 09:59 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
did you confirm that your electric fan is on when the car is at half way on gauge and also on whenever A/C is on?

an extra fan is just covering up the real issue - it's like the guy who has a check engine light on, the solution is NOT some black tape so he can no longer see the light!
I hope you meant hydraullic ? Since I do not have an electric fan.. And yes it is always on..

and LMAO at black tape....
Old 02-06-14, 11:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yes, I mean hydraulic!

here is a real LS400 eletric fan for sale cheap

Quick Reply: How Many Fans does your UCF 21 come with ?