Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS400
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Rear speakers not working after new head unit install

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-13, 03:34 PM   #1
Jordanf
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 48
Default Rear speakers not working after new head unit install

I just installed a Clarion CZ-702 head unit with the Metra wiring harness on my 1991 LS400 and only the front tweeters work (front woofers and rears are silent). The unit powers on and seems to be fully functional otherwise. I switched between the 'normal', '2-way' and '3-way' setup options, all of them were still front sound only.

The stock system that I'm trying to replace is the Nak system which had all 4 speakers and sub in working condition before the install.

I pulled out a the entire CD changer system - which appear to be aftermarket way back in the day. This consisted of: CD changer on the trunk roof, with power and signal wires running along driver side of car to a CD control box that was loosely resting on top of the steering column just above the pedals, which led to a handheld controller (to select CD's). The 2 power wires were tapping into the 12v power and accessory (red and orange wires in the stock harness). I cut and insulated the ends of these as they are now dead ends.

Car is completely stock otherwise.

I am planning on installing my new speakers and sub/amp , but wanted to tackle this problem before I get into that.

I checked over my wiring and they are all color matched and in good condition.
I swapped in the factory Nak again and once again only plays through front tweeters.

What could be the problem?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Jordanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 05:38 PM   #2
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Sc0pe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 836
pcheriyan007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanf View Post
I just installed a Clarion CZ-702 head unit with the Metra wiring harness on my 1991 LS400 and only the front tweeters work (front woofers and rears are silent). The unit powers on and seems to be fully functional otherwise. I switched between the 'normal', '2-way' and '3-way' setup options, all of them were still front sound only.

The stock system that I'm trying to replace is the Nak system which had all 4 speakers and sub in working condition before the install.

I pulled out a the entire CD changer system - which appear to be aftermarket way back in the day. This consisted of: CD changer on the trunk roof, with power and signal wires running along driver side of car to a CD control box that was loosely resting on top of the steering column just above the pedals, which led to a handheld controller (to select CD's). The 2 power wires were tapping into the 12v power and accessory (red and orange wires in the stock harness). I cut and insulated the ends of these as they are now dead ends.

Car is completely stock otherwise.

I am planning on installing my new speakers and sub/amp , but wanted to tackle this problem before I get into that.

I checked over my wiring and they are all color matched and in good condition.
I swapped in the factory Nak again and once again only plays through front tweeters.

What could be the problem?
I'm not sure whether this is the case for older models, but on the 95-00 LS400s with the Nakamichi Audio system couldn't be upgraded without a full audio system overhaul because of the way the speakers were amped, or something along those lines. Are you sure your harness wasn't for the "Lexus Premium Sound" (Pioneer) system?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes7ke View Post
I read the title and thought you were dreaming of PureDrifter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengman View Post
I jb welded my nipple
Sc0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 07:08 PM   #3
Jordanf
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 48
Default

I believe there is only one type of harness for this gen on ebay or amazon regardless of oem radio option. I'll just try installing all of the speakers and new sub+amp and see if that will do the trick
Jordanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 07:19 PM   #4
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Sc0pe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 836
pcheriyan007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanf View Post
I believe there is only one type of harness for this gen on ebay or amazon regardless of oem radio option. I'll just try installing all of the speakers and new sub+amp and see if that will do the trick
Yeah, that'll work, no problem. Just make sure you run your RCAs/Power cables separately so you don't get any odd whining issues.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes7ke View Post
I read the title and thought you were dreaming of PureDrifter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengman View Post
I jb welded my nipple
Sc0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 07:34 AM   #5
Kansas
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Kansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0pe View Post
I'm not sure whether this is the case for older models, but on the 95-00 LS400s with the Nakamichi Audio system couldn't be upgraded without a full audio system overhaul because of the way the speakers were amped, or something along those lines
Not true. My double DIN Kenwood DDX470 works great with the Nakamichi amp and all the original speakers in my 2000 LS400.
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 02:52 PM   #6
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Sc0pe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 836
pcheriyan007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Not true. My double DIN Kenwood DDX470 works great with the Nakamichi amp and all the original speakers in my 2000 LS400.
I probably should have worded that differently, but I was referring to using a "harness" like Beatsonic, or similar. Anything is possible with custom wiring.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes7ke View Post
I read the title and thought you were dreaming of PureDrifter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengman View Post
I jb welded my nipple
Sc0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 05:28 PM   #7
Kansas
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Kansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0pe View Post
I probably should have worded that differently, but I was referring to using a "harness" like Beatsonic, or similar. Anything is possible with custom wiring.
Really? You said " the 95-00 LS400s with the Nakamichi Audio system couldn't be upgraded without a full audio system overhaul because of the way the speakers were amped, or something along those lines."

Please stop posting inaccurate information on this forum as you have done over and over and over.
__________________
Jim - Lexus LS driver from 1990 to 2014 - Now driving a 2014 Toyota Sienna Limited with all packages and options including PCS, DRCC and VDIM
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 08:31 PM   #8
qha_vn
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: VN
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Not true. My double DIN Kenwood DDX470 works great with the Nakamichi amp and all the original speakers in my 2000 LS400.
so did I

My upgrade is here
qha_vn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 03:15 PM   #9
Jordanf
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 48
Default

I removed all of the stock speakers and replaced them with the aftermarket ones and they all work now
Jordanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 04:30 PM   #10
dc893
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
dc893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: FL :(
Posts: 680
http://www.facebook.com/chris.dunn.9237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanf View Post
I removed all of the stock speakers and replaced them with the aftermarket ones and they all work now
Good choice How's it sound? I'm thinking about changing mine out soon. Front passenger speaker is starting to sound fuzzy sometimes and one of the rear ones is completely shot.
__________________

Current Cars-1980 Chevy Stepside, 2003 Cadillac Deville, 1992 Lexus LS400
Previous Cars-1990 Toyota Celsior (JPN), 1992 Honda Legend Sedan (JPN), 1995 Honda Rafaga (JPN), 1993 Honda Legend Coupe (JPN), 1991 Acura Legend Sedan
dc893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 09:23 PM   #11
Jordanf
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 48
Default

Sounds really good nice improvement over the stock ones - I went with 6.5 components and 5.25 coaxial
Jordanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 09:31 PM   #12
dc893
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
dc893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: FL :(
Posts: 680
http://www.facebook.com/chris.dunn.9237
Default

Nice, think I will just replace mine with the original size ones.
__________________

Current Cars-1980 Chevy Stepside, 2003 Cadillac Deville, 1992 Lexus LS400
Previous Cars-1990 Toyota Celsior (JPN), 1992 Honda Legend Sedan (JPN), 1995 Honda Rafaga (JPN), 1993 Honda Legend Coupe (JPN), 1991 Acura Legend Sedan
dc893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 09:31 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sc400 amp confusion Chefao Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics 6 11-26-13 09:24 AM
IS audio system overview cmusic IS - Second Generation 133 11-04-13 05:48 PM
SC400 Nak Amp Wiring? hibby50 Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics 5 12-17-11 11:08 AM
SC400 Nak system amp replacement loka Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics 1 06-23-09 01:10 PM
Replacing Stock Nakamichi Speakers GL123 Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics 4 04-22-09 05:11 PM


Tags
1991, 1992, harness, head, is300, lexus, ls400, nakamichi, premium, rear, sound, speaker, speakers, unit, wiring, working

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info