Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS400
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LS400 vs LS430

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-13, 03:29 AM   #1
jsb1990
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 6
Default LS400 vs LS430

Hi there everyone,

I will be posting this on the LS430 page as well then I can get both sides of the story!

I have been considering buying an LS for some time, however I have just not been in a financial position to do so. It appears I will be now! =)

I am deliberating between an LS400 or an LS430. I have two options - I can buy a very low mileage LS400 or a higher mileage LS430. I have seen an immaculate black 2000 LS400 with 175,000km and also a very nice white 2002 LS430 with 225,000km and the navigation screen - so 50,000km more. They are both impeccable - it is hard to know which way to go. I know Lexuses are fantastic cars and rock solid reliable, so 225,000km is not much for a Lexus.

I want a supremely comfortable, smooth and reliable ride. Which of the cars is the better option? Obviously the LS430 will be newer and more technologically advanced, and I particularly like the heated and cooled seats. Which will offer the better ride? Which has the better sound system? Which car will have the more comfortable seats and softer leather? All these questions!

Out of curiosity also, what is the differentiation in fuel consumption between the two? I am in Australia so we measure it in litres per 100km. I guess some of you will need to do your conversions to miles per gallon. The official statistics quote the LS400 at 12 litres per 100km in the city and the LS430 at 11.2 litres per 100km. As most of my driving will be stop-start, city driving in peak hour - I would appreciate some real life statistics between the two cars.

Anyone who can provide me with insight into the two cars, I would be most appreciative.

J =)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jsb1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 06:04 AM   #2
pinnell27
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb1990 View Post
Hi there everyone,

I will be posting this on the LS430 page as well then I can get both sides of the story!

I have been considering buying an LS for some time, however I have just not been in a financial position to do so. It appears I will be now! =)

I am deliberating between an LS400 or an LS430. I have two options - I can buy a very low mileage LS400 or a higher mileage LS430. I have seen an immaculate black 2000 LS400 with 175,000km and also a very nice white 2002 LS430 with 225,000km and the navigation screen - so 50,000km more. They are both impeccable - it is hard to know which way to go. I know Lexuses are fantastic cars and rock solid reliable, so 225,000km is not much for a Lexus.

I want a supremely comfortable, smooth and reliable ride. Which of the cars is the better option? Obviously the LS430 will be newer and more technologically advanced, and I particularly like the heated and cooled seats. Which will offer the better ride? Which has the better sound system? Which car will have the more comfortable seats and softer leather? All these questions!

Out of curiosity also, what is the differentiation in fuel consumption between the two? I am in Australia so we measure it in litres per 100km. I guess some of you will need to do your conversions to miles per gallon. The official statistics quote the LS400 at 12 litres per 100km in the city and the LS430 at 11.2 litres per 100km. As most of my driving will be stop-start, city driving in peak hour - I would appreciate some real life statistics between the two cars.

Anyone who can provide me with insight into the two cars, I would be most appreciative.

J =)
J,

Typically the decision between these Two cars is about price. You can find people who pledge their allegiance to the 400 or the 430 but rarely both. I happen to be an owner of both a 400 and a 430 but I just decided to sell my 430 ULTRA finished in Flint Mica/black leather. If you want details send me a PM
pinnell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 08:49 AM   #3
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
SuicidnS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NV
Posts: 537
Default

Yea and if you plan on building either car into something. I would take a 2000 LS400 over any 01-03 LS430, but I would take an 04-06 LS430 over any LS400. The 6 speed and other refinements in 04+ make the upgrade worth it. The 01-03 LS430 is slower also than a 00 LS400. But in the end it all about personal preference and your long term plans with the car.
__________________
BX | PHOTO - Hellaflush | JustStance | VIPdout.com
00 LS400 - Dropped | Fitted | LOUD
SuicidnS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 11:24 AM   #4
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
timmy0tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 909/626/714, SoCal
Posts: 2,542
Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool
Default

from what i read i don't see you as planning to mod the car in any way like suspension and sound system. like you pointed out the newer car will be a better bang since it certainly is more refined comparing stock to stock. the 400 has a much larger aftermarket base which is a great point in addition to the cheaper price.

older pre-98 400s lack a 5th gear so the gas miles suffers there. VVTi technology started in the 98-00 models which is a plus. all 430s have a 5th gear and VVTi which outperforms the 400, though it's heavier. here is a great resource to see the LS model change over the years.
http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

as stated, it all comes down to personal preference. what will make you more happy in the long run?
__________________
lateral Gangsta
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 12:02 PM   #5
Gene01
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
all 430s have a 5th gear and VVTi which outperforms the 400,
And the 04-06s have a sixth, too.
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 10:47 PM   #6
jsb1990
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks for all the info guys. I did have a feeling that the LS400 might be the better go in the end - more technological gadgets ultimately mean more money should something break. The lower miles are better too.

I was seriously looking at an early W140 500SEL (the early S500) from 1993 but I just think it's playing with fire. It's just immaculate, full service history, all major work done etc - and in theory I would love to own it and I'm sure compared with an LS400 it runs rings around it - but I don't have $10,000 spare should it break down.
jsb1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 02:12 AM   #7
VanCityLS4
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
VanCityLS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PacificNorthWest
Posts: 268
Default

They are both totally different cars. i want a 04+ real bad but but 99' is too nice to give up. Stop and go city driving says I'm doin 13.5-14.5L/100kms. On the highway easily 9.5-10.5L/100kms if you keep it under 110. Typically after a tank I average 12 give or take.
__________________

99' Baroque Red on Black
VanCityLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 06:17 AM   #8
Legender
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Legender's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 675
Default

I couldn't decide either. After I got the 99 I then got the 430... but never gave up the 99... just a different ride, look and feel that I didn't want to give up. I know..spoiled rotten...but it happens with these cars... better get used to it.
__________________
1. 2004 Mercury Metallic LS 430 - 51K and counting...slowly
2. 2002 Millennium Silver LS 430 - 125K
3. 2004 Toyota Tundra...109K
4. 2001 Toyota 4Runner... the previous daily driver...
5. 2000 Mazda Miata 5 spd... the new daily driver.
Legender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 08:16 AM   #9
Lavrishevo
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
Lavrishevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,320
Default

How does maintenance factor in? Timing belt / water pump replaced? With all things being equal, which I'm sure they are not, the 400 would probably be the better decision. Less miles is always good. As an owner of both I like my 430 better but my 99 was a great car.
__________________
2004 LS430 UL
1999 LS400
Lavrishevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 10:13 AM   #10
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
timmy0tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 909/626/714, SoCal
Posts: 2,542
Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb1990 View Post
I was seriously looking at an early W140 500SEL (the early S500) from 1993 but I just think it's playing with fire. It's just immaculate, full service history, all major work done etc - and in theory I would love to own it and I'm sure compared with an LS400 it runs rings around it - but I don't have $10,000 spare should it break down.
i would highly recommend staying away from those s-class models, ESPECIALLY the 500. many can contest here that the wiring harnesses fail prematurely on them. there is even a member who used LS400 wiring to repair the merc since the wiring just basically became brittle, lost the insulation, and shorted each other out. i read the non v8 models are better to get, but then you'd be outclassed by the LS400. in my eyes the LS is far superior for reliability!
__________________
lateral Gangsta
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 10:24 AM   #11
denverdog
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 242
Default

price matters, too.
denverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 08:55 PM   #12
Yamae
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
i would highly recommend staying away from those s-class models, ESPECIALLY the 500. many can contest here that the wiring harnesses fail prematurely on them. there is even a member who used LS400 wiring to repair the merc since the wiring just basically became brittle, lost the insulation, and shorted each other out. i read the non v8 models are better to get, but then you'd be outclassed by the LS400. in my eyes the LS is far superior for reliability!
Oh, Yes, Timmy. There were discussions at here 7 months ago. You were writing some and I was posting photos.

I think I now need to post newer photos below. After fixing the W140/S500 rewiring the engine main harness, the car ran well but within 3 months there happened another serious problem that the engine did not rev. The throttle didn't work. This was also caused by the flaked insulators but it was inside of the throttle body and at the connector as well as the whole cable. My brother and I had a hard time again fixing this. Of course, we used Toyota genuine wires supplied by Yazaki Densen. I will never buy Mercedes any more.

Insulator are flaked and mostly dropped at inside of the throttle body. All the wires had insulators originally but almost none here.


Insulators are cracked and about to flake at inside of the connector.


Replaced wires using Yazaki's which are widely used for Toyota cars.
Yamae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 07:46 AM   #13
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
timmy0tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 909/626/714, SoCal
Posts: 2,542
Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool
Default

scary to see that! thanks yamae for the updated pics!
__________________
lateral Gangsta
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 07:46 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
gs300, lexus, ls400, ls430

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
front suspension fixes and facts skperformance Suspension and Brakes 288 12-10-13 09:37 AM
LS400 vs LS430 jsb1990 LS430 6 09-09-13 10:46 PM
Ford reimagines Santa's sleigh with Evos design, EcoBoost power Hoovey2411 Car Chat 1 12-24-11 08:14 PM
Are Lexus fuel consumption claims correct ? fastegg LS400 17 08-22-11 12:45 AM
Fiat Sedici facelift (Suzuki SX4) unveiled LexFather Car Chat 1 10-30-09 09:18 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info