LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

**1990 LS400 a/c electric problem(HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 10:06 PM
divineVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
when the compressor is not running, the pressure on either side of the system (high side or low side) will be over 100 PSI, as it should be!

here is something else that makes the autozone guy's ideas seem silly, I recently had the same symptoms as you, high pressure on the low side (due to compressor not turning), and just blowing hot air, now I could have replaced every single piece of the A/C system at over $5000, and guess what, it still would have been blowing warm air, because in this case the problem was failing ECU capacitors! - once I fixed the capacitors, the system is now icy cold, never even touched any A/C components or even a can of refrigerant!
Yea something about him seemed fishy. Like he was only out to take my money. Ok, so now i suppose I'll shift my focus more onto the ecu capacitors rather than the a.c system itself. Especially since just a5 days ago it was blowing ice cold air. Now to start with the ecu capacitors, is it a DIY job? IF so, where are they & any key steps? Also, exactly how much would it cost to replace and where could i purchase them. I am working with an extremely tight budget. Please expand on the ecu capacitors
Old 06-14-13, 10:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I did not say it is definitely your ECU capacitors, but I am saying it stands as much chance of being that that as anything else, as this is a known problem area in LS400, whereas the LS400 probably has the most reliable A/C system of any car ever built, and the same goes for the engine and tranny, all three are bullet-proof!

the A/C was my first clue, because LS400 (NipponDenso) A/C almost never has any problem if left alone, except small refrigerant loss via natural permeation of the hoses (not a true leak) so when my LS suddenly had no A/C working at all, I went, "hmmmm somethin's up, LS400 don't have no A/C issues!"

ECU capacitors is a semi-DYI job, YOU need to order the correct rare Japanese capacitors using the links I provided in post #1 of my ECU caps thread, but you need to also find someone who is a serious PRO with soldering tiny electronics in tight spaces - like that ham radio geek in the neighborhood - the kind of guy who goes to Radio Shack on Friday night instead of having a date!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-14-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 11:27 PM
divineVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I did not say it is definitely your ECU capacitors, but I am saying it stands as much chance of being that that as anything else, as this is a known problem area in LS400, whereas the LS400 probably has the most reliable A/C system of any car ever built, and the same goes for the engine and tranny, all three are bullet-proof!

the A/C was my first clue, because LS400 (NipponDenso) A/C almost never has any problem if left alone, except small refrigerant loss via natural permeation of the hoses (not a true leak) so when my LS suddenly had no A/C working at all, I went, "hmmmm somethin's up, LS400 don't have no A/C issues!"

ECU capacitors is a semi-DYI job, YOU need to order the correct rare Japanese capacitors using the links I provided in post #1 of my ECU caps thread, but you need to also find someone who is a serious PRO with soldering tiny electronics in tight spaces - like that ham radio geek in the neighborhood - the kind of guy who goes to Radio Shack on Friday night instead of having a date!
Yea i read your thread regarding the capacitors and replacing them. If i can't find someone to do this job, where could i take it to get installed, besides the lexus dealership. And do you have and idea of the general cost of that installation through an auto shop?
Old 06-14-13, 11:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the Lexus dealer will not replace ECU capacitors, this is a recent breakthrough by myself and yamae, here on Club Lexus - all the Lexus dealer will do is sell you a new ECU for $2000+

you could get one at a junkyard or online, but none of those will have the correct capacitors either.