LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this LS400 worth picking up??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 08:16 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

np man. dont worry too much about mileage. just as long as the regular maintenance services have been done, you have nothing to worry about because toyota engines last forever as long as it's regularly serviced. that LS is basically fully loaded (navi, heated seats).

i'm missing woodgrain shifter, woodgrain wheel, daytime running lights, navi, heated seats. im glad i have stock HID though; that seems to be the only optional thing the original owner got -___-.
Old 01-23-13, 08:52 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
np man. dont worry too much about mileage. just as long as the regular maintenance services have been done, you have nothing to worry about because toyota engines last forever as long as it's regularly serviced. that LS is basically fully loaded (navi, heated seats).

i'm missing woodgrain shifter, woodgrain wheel, daytime running lights, navi, heated seats. im glad i have stock HID though; that seems to be the only optional thing the original owner got -___-.
I just saw pictures of your car, it looks really good (the picture with your twin). How much did you pick up those suspension if you don't mind me asking? And also if I wanted to go air would those coilovers work? I'm going to check out that LS tomorrow.

Do you know if that LS has daytime lights? And HID? Or was that optional for 99? Thanks for all your help, I'm grateful.
Old 01-24-13, 04:29 AM
ls400geek
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 1998 LS400 last week, 179,000 miles, for $5000. The body and interior are nice. I knew it was due for a timing belt & water pump change and figured I could get this done for $1000 from the Lexus Dealership. Well it turns out both camshaft seals and crankshaft seal were leaking and the job cost me $2300 (including the replacement of the idler & tensioner pulleys along with drive belt pulley).

The leaking camshaft seals are what got me. It's a job really only a master Lexus mechanic should handle at a Lexus Shop since it is so complicated. It takes about 5 hours of labor per head to replace these. I had the best mechanic at Lexus of Tulsa work on mine.

In retrospect, I should of gone with a 1995-97 model instead of the 98-00, because these older models do not have variable valve timing and do not have the complexity of the 98-00 when it comes to camshaft seal replacement (5 minute job versus 5 hours). So it's a tradeoff--higher maintenance cost for 30 more horses.

So I'd say it's a good deal if the car is in GOOD to VERY GOOD condition (not fair) and does not leak from the front of the engine (although it's highly likely, from what I've heard, it will start leaking from the front soon if it hasn't yet, due to the age of the seals).

It's a good deal if it only needs a timing belt & water pump change (and does not yet leak from the front). Or also perhaps new brake pads (since that is like $40 for you to replace on your own). I got a used set of tires for $110 (50% tread) for mine as well (I got it with bald tires). I also did an oil change, transmission drain/fill, engine air filter change, cabin air filter change, gas shock replacement on hood ($37).

I bought the car for $5000, but now have $8000 in it between tax, title transfer, timing belt, water pump, camshaft seals, crankshaft seal, pulleys, oils, filters, tires, brakes, gas shocks for hood, transmission mount, 4 wheel alignment.

That's another thing, besides the front seals: the transmission mount will most likely need replacing (mine was broken in half causing a rumble at around 2200 rpm).

Also you have to check the tie rod ends / ball joints. They are often due for service at this mileage. Fortunately mine were replaced a couple years ago.

Last edited by ls400geek; 01-24-13 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 05:16 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My LS is a 92 so I don't know if I would be a judge to the difference since my GS is a 98. The drivetrain between a 98 GS and LS are essentially the same but the GS is lighter and has slightly more horsepower so it is faster, it is also more agile around corners. The issue is that you will have to change nearly every suspension bushing. Also the interior, as compared to my 92ls is not nearly as well made. The sun roof will rattle, the center console rattles, the noise level is higher. When you take things apart the difference is immense. On the 92 they were **** about everything. For example, every screw head is covered, every connector has foam to prevent rattle, more screws are used to insure a secure fit, the sun shade for the sun roof is heavy, and of extreme high quality on the GS the sun roof shade must come off a Camry or something, terrible quality. I can go on and on on the differences in quality. All that said, I like driving the GS much much more, but that's not a fair comparison since I have a 92.. I have trd sway bars and belstein shocks on my GS and it handles perfectly neutral so I can do four wheel drifts around a corner. If you like the cushy cruising type ride in a relaxed manner definitely get the LS
Old 01-24-13, 06:16 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
GS shares the platform with the IS, where the LS is simply on it's own platform altogether. LS is flagship of Lexus, more reliable, more luxurious, roomier, and overall better engineered. the GS is more sporty overall with better lines. to me the GS is the honda civic of the big body sedans, too common and it takes a lot to stand out.
I got an 01 GS430 and a 2000 LS400. I like driving my LS because i need the leg room. I feel crunched in the GS. And I feel sorry for the person sitting behind me when I drive the GS..........they wont have any leg room. LS is just a bigger car.,....which i like.

DOnt get me wrong.....I still love my GS430. Ahhhhhhh what the hell. I love them both. The feel of the wood grain steering wheel on both car is like no other.
Old 01-24-13, 06:20 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

i started off with an '03 acura tl-s. sold it, got an '03 lexus gs300 black/black sportdesign which is rare as hell. i sold it in 2 months simply because of all the stuff i had to do to it in order to get it to my likings. it's just the common problems (door lock actuator, slight dent on the passenger door, key fob wasnt working, etc etc) on the 2gs that prompted me to sell the car. there was a huge list of things i needed to get done but i had no money for (i was broke after buying that car). i probably would've stuck to the gs still if it was a 430 since the 300 is just too slow for me.

anyways.. sold the gs, got a '98 LS and oh boy, i immediately fell in love with it. the ride quality feels so much nicer. there were definitely less common problems on the LS compared to the GS so that gave me some peace of mind. i liked the automatic reverse tilt for the side mirrors and the autolevel for the headlights. options like that makes me enjoy the car even more. i personally would've gotten a '99 or '00 if i took my time looking for the car, but since i got the LS for a very good price, i had to settle for my '98. i just wished the original owners of the vehicle chose the optional woodgrain wheel and shifter option along with the heated seats. navi i could care less about because it would've been way out of date anyways. also, the stock system in the LS is so much nicer than the GS.

in terms of why i would choose the LS over the GS is because the LS is top of the line. you see GS' everywhere nowadays, either modded or stock. but how many 2LS' do you see driving around (stock and modded).... not much! i felt like if i was going to put money into the GS, it would just look like everyone else's out there and there's too much competition already. but in the 2LS' scene, i feel like there's only a handful of us out there. you see so many 91-94 LS and occasionally some 95-97 LS, but 98-00 LS when modded, are a rare sight to see. and when done right, it will stand out from the rest.
I've been through like TEN GS
Im still on my first LS (2000).............get the point?

Seems like we both just fell in love of the LS instantly.

Even though I got a few suspension problems......But I mob this ***** all over the bay area, up and down 80 like no other.
Old 01-24-13, 06:23 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

WHAT?! No woodgrain wheel or shifter? Thats the highlight of the LS. LOL j/k
Old 01-24-13, 07:15 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE: just got back from seeing it, no paper work for timing belt, hood shocks broken, coin size rust on door, fender looks a little out of place, the car advertised as 180k and navi works, but it was 191k and screen was out. Not too worried about the screen, but overall offered him 3500 to work with and he just left. How much would you guys offer for the LS?
Old 01-24-13, 09:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
UPDATE: just got back from seeing it, no paper work for timing belt, hood shocks broken, coin size rust on door, fender looks a little out of place, the car advertised as 180k and navi works, but it was 191k and screen was out. Not too worried about the screen, but overall offered him 3500 to work with and he just left. How much would you guys offer for the LS?
Nothing, I wouldn't have made an offer. Sounds Janky.
Old 01-25-13, 02:09 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

i woulda offered $3000. LOL

But as a seller, i think he wanted to hear $4300 or so as your first offer. $3500 is kind of a lowball.
Old 01-25-13, 11:04 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Would you pay 43 for it? Clean interior
Old 01-25-13, 11:19 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

rust is not a good sign, esp in california where our cars are not prone to rusting (unless near the beach or mountain areas). i would pass on that car and find another one!
Old 01-25-13, 07:53 PM
Sick03L
Driver

I own both a 98 GS400 and 98 LS. LS is straight cush!! Both cars are on megan coil overs on 20s but the GS has intake, exhaust, etc. The overall build quality of the LS is well beyond the GS. I love both cars but the GS sounds and feels cheap after spending time in my LS. I love them both equally in diff ways but I'd sell the GS if I was forced between the two. GS has such clean sporty lines. Cant wait to get my hands on LS460. Big n sexy.
Old 01-25-13, 09:04 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
Would you pay 43 for it? Clean interior

ehhh
depends on how i feel that day. and how bad all the defects Effect me.

Just call him up and tell him " Look, I've seen the car. Its not in its best shape. Im a serious buyer, but you have to give me a serious price" BOOOM start negotiating from that point.

Last edited by yoitskenn; 02-12-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 09:40 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
ehhh
depends on how i feel that day. and how bad all the defects Effect me.

I paid less than 4300 for my '00 LS last year. Damn near condition from its original elderly owner.

Just call him up and tell him " Look, I've seen the car. Its not in its best shape. Im a serious buyer, but you have to give me a serious price" BOOOM start negotiating from that point.
That is damn near good. Where did you go to find the car? Craigslist?

Quick Reply: Is this LS400 worth picking up??