LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Discussion: FIPG vs. other gasket materials for a perfect tranny pan seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 03:31 AM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default missing a word

I wanted to correct something I said in my last post where I said felt gasket I meant fiber gasket. I would have to agree with every one about Fel-pro's superior design and materials over other brands I've used. One design they offer that seems to work really well is made with (as one tech I know called it) "space age plastic" with a rib of raised neoprene running down the center. I've been told by more than one mechanic that this is a re-usable design. I don't think I would chance it though. One thing I really like about these type of gaskets is that hard plastic will not push out and also prevents the pan flange from divoting at the bolt holes.

Last edited by paulybear; 02-24-13 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 11:06 AM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paulybear
I wanted to correct something I said in my last post where I said felt gasket I meant fiber gasket. I would have to agree with every one about Fel-pro's superior design and materials over other brands I've used. One design they offer that seems to work really well is made with (as one tech I know called it) "space age plastic" with a rib of raised neoprene running down the center. I've been told by more than one mechanic that this is a re-usable design. I don't think I would chance it though. One thing I really like about these type of gaskets is that hard plastic will not push out and also prevents the pan flange from divoting at the bolt holes.
Fel-pro has defiantly improved there designs in the resent years in my opinion. In my last post I said neoprene where I meant neoprene "oil resistant type"of material.
Old 02-27-13, 06:31 PM
ls400geek
Driver

Has anyone used ATP gaskets? If so, are they like fel-pro or are they coated fiber?
Old 10-24-13, 03:37 PM
youngs3oo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so I'm replacing my oil pan and have a quick question...would I apply the FIPG to the oil pan then immediately bolt it onto the car? Or do I wait until the FIPG cures on the oil pan itself first then bolt the oil pan onto the car?

From what I read on google searches, I'm suppose to wait until the FIPG cures on the oil pan then put it on the car but wanted to confirm here.
Old 10-24-13, 06:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by youngs3oo
Alright so I'm replacing my oil pan and have a quick question...would I apply the FIPG to the oil pan then immediately bolt it onto the car? Or do I wait until the FIPG cures on the oil pan itself first then bolt the oil pan onto the car?

From what I read on google searches, I'm suppose to wait until the FIPG cures on the oil pan then put it on the car but wanted to confirm here.
please read the first post in this guide, you don't want to use FIPG at all! - Use a Fel-Pro gasket instead! - this way, excess FIPG does not end up in your engine or transmission!

FIPG is only good to apply if you are a robot and do a perfect job - your LS400's FIPG was originally applied by a robot, but you aren't one!
Old 10-24-13, 10:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
please read the first post in this guide, you don't want to use FIPG at all! - Use a Fel-Pro gasket instead! - this way, excess FIPG does not end up in your engine or transmission!

FIPG is only good to apply if you are a robot and do a perfect job - your LS400's FIPG was originally applied by a robot, but you aren't one!
Unless you're Toyota, one of the largest automotive manufacturers on earth, and have deemed that FIPG, rather than a preformed gasket, is the ideal way to build and service your vehicles across the ENTIRE engine range.....

They chose FIPG for a reason. The fact it works when you take the time to apply it properly isn't black magic.
Old 10-24-13, 10:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by youngs3oo

Take your time, carefully clean both surfaces, and don't fill the motor for a few hours after bolting it all together. You'll be fine.

FIPG doesn't need to "cure" on the pan before bolting. It will start drying fuly as quickly as 20 minutes after it's out of the tube (in low humidity/high temp environments) so straight onto the car after you lay the bead on.