Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Radio doesn't work, door ajar light on

Old 06-04-12, 06:33 PM   #1
ChrisRose8
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Radio doesn't work, door ajar light on

The other day I was driving and my radio/cd player was turning on and off by itself. So after sitting for about an hour I went to drive it again and it started but the engine killed; I was unable to shift gears at all. I was unable to start the vehicle after that, the battery was dead. So I jumped it and it started but then killed after a moment so I suspected that the alternator was bad. Long story short I had that tested and it was fine, found out that a fuse was blown. the 120amp ALT fuse. So $4 later it was up and running just fine. Except now my stereo does not turn on at all, and when I shut the car off and close the door my door ajar light comes on and stays on. (yes I've checked all the doors) The door ajar light is not on when the car is running though. Any ideas here? because I'm at a loss

This is a 1996 Lexus LS400 with just under 150K miles.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by ChrisRose8; 06-04-12 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: forgot to put make/model of my car
ChrisRose8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 11:10 AM   #2
ChrisRose8
Driver School Candidate

Default '96 LS400 Radio not working!

Is it common for the Nakamichi radio to just stop working?

With mine its like there is just no power going to the stereo. I checked the fuse and it was blown; I replaced it with the proper 20amp fuse and still nothing. I pulled it out and checked all the rear connections and they are all fine as far as I can tell.

Old 06-08-12, 02:16 PM   #3
LSTex
Driver School Candidate

Did you check all 3 fuses? According to the schematic, there are 3 fuses that power the radio. (One is just the illumination, but why not check it too?)

The Dome Fuse (10A) and Radio Fuse 1 (20A) are under the hood. Radio Fuse 2 (15A) is in the driver's side Fuse Box under the dash, above and to the right of the parking brake pedal.
LSTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 12:08 PM   #4
ChrisRose8
Driver School Candidate

I honestly didn't know that set of fuses even existed in my car...But I checked them and they were all fine. The inside of the fuse cover says that its a 7.5am fuse for radio 2. Either way it was fine. So I really have no idea
Old 06-10-12, 10:07 AM   #5
LSTex
Driver School Candidate

I was checking around for similar problems and came across this...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=70269

Evidently, some people have had problems with the stereo going into mute mode. Hopefully, that'll be of some help.
LSTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 01:28 PM   #6
Kansas
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRose8 View Post
Is it common for the Nakamichi radio to just stop working?

With mine its like there is just no power going to the stereo. I checked the fuse and it was blown; I replaced it with the proper 20amp fuse and still nothing. I pulled it out and checked all the rear connections and they are all fine as far as I can tell.

When you "checked all the rear connections" did you check the pins for power? I'm trying to understand which side the problem is on - radio side or harness side. Anything happening on the radio display? Do the radio buttons light up when the headlights are on?

If the radio display "works" (displays station frequency) then is there any evidence that a phone system was ever installed - e.g. a phone controller on the left side of the steering wheel.
Old 07-14-12, 11:02 PM   #7
nyjdmevo
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)

Default did u fix it

have the same problem radio dont work and door ajar stays on ???? radio fuse in dash and hood look good
nyjdmevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 06:27 PM   #8
ChrisRose8
Driver School Candidate

Default fixed it

Turns out that the power cable for my stereo was bad. I got a new stereo installed anyways along with a new cord and it works great. Door ajar light is no longer on.
Old 07-16-12, 06:29 PM   #9
ChrisRose8
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late reply. But it turns out that it was the power cable that was bad.
Old 07-16-12, 06:29 PM