LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Gas gauge not working reads E, Caps replaced, still E

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 10:07 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas gauge not working reads E, Caps replaced, still E

Putting the finishing touches my car together and I get this problem ;
Gas needle stays on E light is on

Not too long ago, took speedo apart to fix partially lit needles, noticed it had a tag tied to it stating something like "needles don't light up"
After putting it back together needles worked fine. Tank was on E so I went and filled it up, needle stayed on E.

Took cluster back out and opened it up, saw caps were already replaced, replaced em again anyway. Still on E.

So what do I check next? I searched and only other things mentioned are sending unit or stuck float in tank. How do I diagnose that? How do I unstick the float? Is it on the trunk side or the interior side of the car?

Possibly related;
Parking brake indicator will not light up anymore when parking brake is engaged.

Recent work done around timeframe of issue appearing;
shocks/springs replaced, some line/cable on the driver rear was routed incorrectly so I got it back onto the bracket it was supposed to be on
some work in trunk by the antenna/key control module

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-02-11, 10:52 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can pull the fuel pump assembly out, maybe the float has developed a hole which allowed it to fill up with gas, and not letting it "float"
...i cant see inside your tank, but there are 2 kinds of floats....one is a solid piece of plastic, the other is a hollow piece of plastic.....if its the hollow float, its probably full of gas., just replace it with a new one. if its a solid float, you can test it using an ohm meter....find the specs, and sweep the float up and down to see if it changes within spec.....if it is out of spec, replace the sending unit.....a new sending unit is the float,arm, and circuit board.
Old 09-03-11, 11:24 AM
Cashflo
Driver

Possibly sending unit
Old 09-03-11, 03:04 PM
KoukiMonst
Driver School Candidate

if and when you find the answer to your question please reply to this thread,
I too have a faulty gas gauge, I replaced the caps and the other problems of the cluster were eliminated but the empty gas gauge remained.. also the E-Brake light is always illuminated.. does the 92 have brake sensors at the wheel?? or is it newer years?
Old 09-08-11, 11:06 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did a little junkyard comparo, 90-92 is different than the one in my 93. Connectors appear similar but did not get to check if they are interchangable.

My sending unit seems to be dead, no visible holes or gas came out of the float, manually moving the float does not change anything. Cleaning the contacts inside did nothing.

At least it's easy to get to, 4 screws holding the trim in the trunk, 6 8mm phillips head bolts holding it in, 2 connectors to unclip.

My buddy is keeping an eye out for a 93 sending unit for me, hopefully later this week.
Old 09-09-11, 03:32 PM
celsiorbc
Driver School Candidate

I too need an answer.... My Gas Gauge dosn't work, Everything lights up, but always below empty. Full tank about E. My low fuel light works and I know roughly how many km i get so not a huge deal but would liked fixed (93 celsior)
Old 09-09-11, 07:48 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Sending unit is most likely bad. Its in the trunk. Fuel pump is in the interior side.