Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Windshield Replacement 1999 Lexus

Old 06-13-11, 10:02 AM   #1
debengele
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Windshield Replacement 1999 Lexus

I have received two unbelievable estimates for the replacement of the front windshield on my Lexus. Anyone have a recent experience with a front windshield replacement? Thx.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
debengele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 02:32 PM   #2
robert1408
Driver

I did a search on "wind noise" recently because my '97 has some wind noise in the windshield area. Found some posts about replacing windshields on these cars. Seems the oem is $1200 or more. PPG makes a replacement for less than half that, but it is said to be thinner than oem so some trim and seals don't fit tightly causing a fair amount noise. My car has one of the PPG windshields, marked as replacement in the right lower corner. I don't know if it is the windshield or the installation involved here. Don't know how much this PPG cost, it was on the car when I got it.
robert1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 02:47 PM   #3
deanshark
Lexus Champion

If you're on a tight budget and don't care if it's an OEM windshield then you should call Payless Glass in your area. With thier prices I highly doubt they use original equipment. They're the cheapest I ever found for other cars, but I never checked for a Lexus. They're quick for service and they come to you.
deanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 04:06 PM   #4
Mugen_1
Lead Lap

http://www.facebook.com/evolutionq http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=93651693&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro Mugen_1
Send a message via ICQ to Mugen_1 Send a message via AIM to Mugen_1 Send a message via MSN to Mugen_1

I priced getting the windshield replaced in my '97, and had quotes all over the place as far as price. Highest was $450, lowest was $230.
Mugen_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 04:09 PM   #5
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

I have a thread on my replacement here. There are sooo many different grades of glass and you can do it to your budget. There are low end import glass and one look through them reminds me of looking through a soda bottle.

Buy it right, you have to look through this thing.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 07:57 PM   #6
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Trader Score: (10)

PureDrifter
Send a message via AIM to PureDrifter

imho better option is to buy a clean used windshield and have it professionally installed.

going rate for a clean 95-97 or 98-00 windshield here in socal is ~$80-200, plus install.

easily my choice over any aftermarket shield.

you can use www.car-part.com to find a windshield near you.
3. Black 2004 IS300 -Manaray-HKS-Eibach-Kumho-
4. Ebony Teal 1995 LS400 11-8-06
PureDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 08:41 PM   #7
Dave Mac
Lexus Test Driver

I recently had a non OEM glass (Plinkerton, I think) put in my 2010 ES and it is terrible. Maybe $800 cheaper but thinner, noisier and much less tint than the Lexus glass. Hoping it breaks soon but had what looked like a golf ball size rock hit recently and it didn't break as I thought it was. When was the last time you smiled when you saw a rock about to hit your windshield?

Dave Mac
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 04:16 PM   #8
crumb758
Driver School Candidate

Default 97 LS 400 - Windshield Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by debengele View Post
I have received two unbelievable estimates for the replacement of the front windshield on my Lexus. Anyone have a recent experience with a front windshield replacement? Thx.
I have to replace the front windshield in my 97 LS400 because it got hit by a rock on the freeway. Both the dealership and my insurance company referred me to Safelite. The quote for an OEM windshield was $1,694.14. Non OEM windshields can be had for under $300.00.
crumb758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 06:20 PM   #9
alha
Driver School Candidate

Wow, that is a Huge difference. As mine is also going to be in need fairly soon of replacement, what is a person giving up for that much savings? There has to be _some_ justification of 4x the price. Quality? Thickness? If so, why don't after-market mfg's offer a choice, $300 for thinner/lighter/whatever, and say $500 for exact same specs as OEM. Patents? Doesn't make sense to not at least offer a similar spec as OEM for your customers. Kind of disheartening.
alha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 10:00 AM   #10
dvdchance
Rookie

This thread popped up at just the right time for me. I'm going to also be needing a new windshield soon too. It's amazing how a tiny little chip on the edge of the windshield can grow to a sizeable crack so quick.

So I'm sure folks on here have used Safelite and can give some reviews? It's where I've been referred to also.
dvdchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 02:31 PM   #11
billydpowe
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

bill powell

II replaced my windshield in my 99 in 2011 and the original was hard to see out of when the sun was in your eyes, so scratchy ... I got safelite for 254.and that included a new top trim piece AND I can still see thru it very clearly.... all smiles...............
take a look. my hope is it helps people get into their Bible where the Holy Spirit can teach them the REAL truth, not my words, which are just stimulants.... 2 Tim 2:15 Study.....

CARS I HAVE OWNED
http://s810.photobucket.com/user/bil...20owned?sort=9
billydpowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 04:57 PM   #12
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alha View Post
Wow, that is a Huge difference. As mine is also going to be in need fairly soon of replacement, what is a person giving up for that much savings? There has to be _some_ justification of 4x the price. Quality? Thickness? If so, why don't after-market mfg's offer a choice, $300 for thinner/lighter/whatever, and say $500 for exact same specs as OEM. Patents? Doesn't make sense to not at least offer a similar spec as OEM for your customers. Kind of disheartening.
the same reason other aftermarket components are cheaper than OEM, fitment, quality, and availability. of course most folks will go with the cheaper option, myself included even though i am an OEM stickler. i believe OEM glass has a UV protective coating on it as well but that can always be added to an aftermarket windshield. all aftermarket glass should be DOT approved for road use so safety is not compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post
This thread popped up at just the right time for me. I'm going to also be needing a new windshield soon too. It's amazing how a tiny little chip on the edge of the windshield can grow to a sizeable crack so quick.

So I'm sure folks on here have used Safelite and can give some reviews? It's where I've been referred to also.
a tiny chip turns into a crack bc the windshield, like all OEM DOT glass, is tempered meaning it's pressurized to shatter when altered for safety during collisions and roll overs. ever notice the side glass breaks outward even though the projectile came from the same side?

also tempered glass shards are much smaller than non-DOT glass. check out a JDM car's shattered windshield, not DOT, HUGE shards of glass!
Old 08-08-14, 09:20 AM   #13
rick1987
Driver
Trader Score: (1)

I had mine replaced. Aftermarket. Insurance won't pay for OEM.

I notice front wind noise, it's not terrible but I do notice it. I think the glass that was busted was aftermarket as well. So I don't have anything to compare to.

But after buying over $600 in sound deadening, the windshield is now the loose link.
rick1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 04:00 AM   #14
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Trader Score: (10)

PureDrifter
Send a message via AIM to PureDrifter

I recently ended up running an aftermarket windshield.

Use whatever windshield you want (within reason)
Just use OEM trim.
3. Black 2004 IS300 -Manaray-HKS-Eibach-Kumho-
4. Ebony Teal 1995 LS400 11-8-06
PureDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 04:00 AM

Tags
1997, 1999, 400, cheap, cost, front, glass, gs300, lexus, ls400, replacement, tulsa, windshield, windshields, windshiled