LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 06:00 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's really tempting - I'd love to have one of those. Here's a link to a video demonstration. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/movies/midrise.asx
Old 07-03-11, 02:47 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I'm looking for is a place where I can rent time on a lift as well as rent tools if needed. I've seen a few of these places in the south and the west, but none in my area (Northern NJ and Lehigh Valley PA). I'd prefer not to spring $ 2000 for a lift, but I'd definitely would rent time in an auto bay. I definitely not comfortable with jacks and ramps entirely.
Old 07-03-11, 02:56 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Here's a something that I'm going to check out. Not as nice as a lift, but could be more effective than jack stands or ramps. Of course, this won't work if you need to get your tires off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcjw_...eature=related
Old 07-03-11, 03:24 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

That wouldn't be bad if you could drive up onto those but the way they are just seems like too much work, (jacking each corner twice) and most times you jack a car you do have to take the tires off. And if you have a 2 or 3 ton jack, just jack the front center, put 2 jack stands, jack the rear center, put 2 more jack stands and you're ready to work. It does look real safe but if you're on level concrete, stands are good enough. My opinion.
Old 07-03-11, 03:50 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
That wouldn't be bad if you could drive up onto those but the way they are just seems like too much work, (jacking each corner twice) and most times you jack a car you do have to take the tires off. And if you have a 2 or 3 ton jack, just jack the front center, put 2 jack stands, jack the rear center, put 2 more jack stands and you're ready to work. It does look real safe but if you're on level concrete, stands are good enough. My opinion.
I hear you, but those jack stands just make me nervous. The best situation for someone like me is if I could rent a lift for whatever time I needed. You're right, if you've got to take the tires off, this won't work.
Old 07-03-11, 04:20 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
I hear you, but those jack stands just make me nervous. The best situation for someone like me is if I could rent a lift for whatever time I needed. You're right, if you've got to take the tires off, this won't work.
Jack stands make alot of people nervous, thinking "how can that little piece of metal hold up this big *** heavy car?" Out of the past 35 years I've only had a car fall once off a jack stand. (Last year, my LS) My fault though, on a slight downhill decline and I forgot to turn off the air suspension in the trunk, had the front on stands and when I jacked one side to take out the stand it rolled b/c of the angle, the other stand dug into the tar and flipped. That stand went right in the dumpster b/c it bent and crushed.
Old 07-03-11, 04:38 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Jack stands make alot of people nervous, thinking "how can that little piece of metal hold up this big *** heavy car?" Out of the past 35 years I've only had a car fall once off a jack stand. (Last year, my LS) My fault though, on a slight downhill decline and I forgot to turn off the air suspension in the trunk, had the front on stands and when I jacked one side to take out the stand it rolled b/c of the angle, the other stand dug into the tar and flipped. That stand went right in the dumpster b/c it bent and crushed.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's nervous about jack stands

It's hard enough doing whatever you've got to do without worrying if the car is going to come crashing down on you. Obviously, this limits what I'm able to do with the car. I feel marginally better about ramps, but can not bring myself to really roll up underneath the car even with ramps.

I think many of these nervous folks like me are good candidates for rental of an auto bay with a lift to do work.
Old 07-03-11, 04:50 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's nervous about jack stands

It's hard enough doing whatever you've got to do without worrying if the car is going to come crashing down on you. Obviously, this limits what I'm able to do with the car. I feel marginally better about ramps, but can not bring myself to really roll up underneath the car even with ramps.

I think many of these nervous folks like me are good candidates for rental of an auto bay with a lift to do work.
There's nothing wrong with jack stands as long as you're on level ground. I'd rather work on a car on stands then on a lift. Everything has it's faults, working construction for 30 years I've seen so many hydraulic lines blow and cause all kinds of problems. I've never heard of anyone renting out bays with thier lifts to just anyone that wants it b/c of insurance regulations. But if you can find one, more power to you.
Old 07-03-11, 05:39 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

There's nothing wrong with jack stands as long as you're on level ground. I'd rather work on a car on stands then on a lift. Everything has it's faults, working construction for 30 years I've seen so many hydraulic lines blow and cause all kinds of problems. I've never heard of anyone renting out bays with thier lifts to just anyone that wants it b/c of insurance regulations. But if you can find one, more power to you.
With "do it yourself" being the rage nowadays, there are some places (not in my area) that rent tools and lifts solely to "do it yourself types". Basically, their main business is rental of auto bays and tools--a little like Autozone except they have a bay where you can work on your vehicle. I've seen one that even has a mechanic on site for those who prefer to have someone else do the work. It's a good idea because some folks don't have the space to work on their cars, don't want the neighbors complaining about antifreeze and oil running down the drive way or a car sitting up on "blocks".

I'd imagine that they'd have you sign a waiver for legal liability to deal with the insurance and legal issues.
Old 07-03-11, 08:07 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I first raise the front of the car with a good hydraulic lift then, when at the proper height, position the jack stands on each end. Next, I lower the car gently onto the jack stands and try rocking the car to make sure it is stable. I ALWAYS keep the hydraulic lift under the car as a third point of lift just in case. Only then do I feel reasonably safe crawling underneath.
Old 07-04-11, 07:44 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

This is a very good setup for home use, in my old 7 stall garage I had for 30 years, we had simular lifts (we had a low roof) but they had lock positions on them for additional safety, and we had 2 drive up ramps (like a front end machine) also. you can see our roof line in the photo behind my A.
Attached Thumbnails Car lift-billsa.jpg  
Old 07-04-11, 07:51 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
This is a very good setup for home use, in my old 7 stall garage I had for 30 years, we had simular lifts (we had a low roof) but they had lock positions on them for additional safety, and we had 2 drive up ramps (like a front end machine) also. you can see our roof line in the photo behind my A.
hey billy werent those just coming out in your youth....
Old 07-04-11, 08:59 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Wow, he got ya there. Oh yeah, the Model A looks good.
Old 07-04-11, 09:09 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
well almost, it was a 30 model, I am a 34 model.
bought it in 73, it looked like this:
Attached Thumbnails Car lift-mya.jpg  
Old 07-04-11, 09:13 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

bought it for $1700, sold it for $12,000 in '80....
have no idea how much I spent, but it was not close to 12.