Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

ls400 engine code 14/no start

Old 02-17-11, 02:07 PM   #1
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

Default ls400 engine code 14/no start

ok ive done pleanty of searching and cant find anything . ive got a 91 ls and one morning it decided to just not start. the night before it was hesitating real bad. i narrowed it down to a no spart issue. the specific engine code im getting is #14. i figured out that its just a no ignition code. i dont know if any one has a more detailed description of the code. the engine isnt getting spark on either bank. so my thought process would be to look at the only thing that controls spark across the whole motor is the ignition control module. at almost 300 dollars its not something i want to buy and have that not be the reason. if any one has any other ideas id appreciate it greatly as this is my dd and my fun is running yet :/
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
S13REMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 02:17 PM   #2
curepunx
Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to curepunx

Have you tried checking the igntion control module(s)? There are two, one located near the front and another near the rear of the engine.

Code:
14 - Ignition no. 1 signal

So it might be that. Your car will NOT start/stay on if they're not functioning or not connected properly. Check them out! If you find out that they're not working properly, then replace them accordingly. Search at your local auto parts, ebay and even other online websites (GOOGLE it)!

Goodluck!

UCF10 LS400 Black Top/Charcoal Bottom
Manufactured: 03/1990
Current Odometer: 294,xxx Miles
BC Coilovers+Youzealand SS Kit
6000K Headlights+3000K Fogs
19x9F & 19x10R (Style 95s)

Last edited by curepunx; 02-17-11 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Adding
curepunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 02:21 PM   #3
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

im pretty sure i know where the one in the front of the motor is. could you be a little more specific about the one in the back. and if they are connected good does any one know how i could test them to see if they are bad?
Old 02-17-11, 03:12 PM   #4
curepunx
Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to curepunx

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13REMI View Post
im pretty sure i know where the one in the front of the motor is. could you be a little more specific about the one in the back. and if they are connected good does any one know how i could test them to see if they are bad?
Here are some simple links to help you get started on the ignition coils...

Read this!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...-problems.html

Look at this!
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...ents_LS400.gif

Try using the SEARCH feature near the top-right corner of this forum page to further onset any details on items you might have questions about.

Goodluck!

UCF10 LS400 Black Top/Charcoal Bottom
Manufactured: 03/1990
Current Odometer: 294,xxx Miles
BC Coilovers+Youzealand SS Kit
6000K Headlights+3000K Fogs
19x9F & 19x10R (Style 95s)
curepunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 09:30 PM   #5
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

one on top of ac compressor (passenger front side right behind serp belt) and one next to upper hose housing (thermostat), the same on our 90 ls400 and 94 sc400 so im sure its the same for yours
willhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 11:44 PM   #6
twofanman
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Code 14, 15 - Ignition Signal Circuit

I dug out my repair manual and looked at Code 14 and 15 which are for the Ignition Signal Circuit. This is the ignition trigger and feedback system. The ECU sends a signal to the igniter to fire the ignition coil. The igniter fires the coil and then sends a confirmation to the ECU that ignition occurred. A code 14 or 15 is an indication that the ECU did not receive a confirmation of ignition from the igniter for at least 8 consecutive ignition cycles.

Code 14 is for the No. 1 igniter which controls the LH coil and LH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. Code 15 is for the No. 2 igniter which controls the RH coil and RH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

Are you sure all 8 cylinders are not getting spark? You might want to check all 8 cylinders. Your Code 14 would indicate you are not getting spark at 1, 4, 6 and 7. If you are not getting a Code 15 (or any other codes), the right side should be OK and you should be getting spark at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

If this is the case, then check the No. 1 igniter. If thatís OK, then it could be an open or short in the wiring for the ignition signal or the confirmation signal on the left side. If thatís okay, then it could be the ECU.

I got all of this info from the troubleshooting section of the RM for a 1992 (page TR-34). There is more info there on how to check the igniter itself and how to check the wiring circuit for the ignition signal and confirmation signal. If you donít have the manual, you can download it from TIS.
twofanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 07:01 PM   #7
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

^ thank you so much i cant begin to tell you how help ful this was. all the searching i did was not as helpful as your post. im not being sarcastic either. thank you!
but yeah im pretty certain i im not getting spark on both banks. i checked to cylinders on each bank. will check all 8 tomorrow. im worried it might be the actuall ignition controll module. since it is the only thing that controls spark to all 8 cylinders besides the ecu
Old 02-18-11, 07:30 PM   #8
twofanman
Rookie

Glad to help. I should have mentioned to check to see if you have spark at each distributor first.
twofanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 09:48 AM   #9
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

willis da realest da realest
Default could me my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofanman View Post
I dug out my repair manual and looked at Code 14 and 15 which are for the Ignition Signal Circuit. This is the ignition trigger and feedback system. The ECU sends a signal to the igniter to fire the ignition coil. The igniter fires the coil and then sends a confirmation to the ECU that ignition occurred. A code 14 or 15 is an indication that the ECU did not receive a confirmation of ignition from the igniter for at least 8 consecutive ignition cycles.

Code 14 is for the No. 1 igniter which controls the LH coil and LH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. Code 15 is for the No. 2 igniter which controls the RH coil and RH distributor and ultimately the spark plugs at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

Are you sure all 8 cylinders are not getting spark? You might want to check all 8 cylinders. Your Code 14 would indicate you are not getting spark at 1, 4, 6 and 7. If you are not getting a Code 15 (or any other codes), the right side should be OK and you should be getting spark at cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8.

If this is the case, then check the No. 1 igniter. If thatís OK, then it could be an open or short in the wiring for the ignition signal or the confirmation signal on the left side. If thatís okay, then it could be the ECU.

I got all of this info from the troubleshooting section of the RM for a 1992 (page TR-34). There is more info there on how to check the igniter itself and how to check the wiring circuit for the ignition signal and confirmation signal. If you donít have the manual, you can download it from TIS.
I did a tune up on my car i had four spark plugs that were really bad and the other four looked new. So im thinking going to the junk yard and test ignition controls and see if that do the job
Dtwillis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 02:58 PM   #10
S13REMI
Driver School Candidate

what are the 2 relays on either side of the ecu?
Old 04-07-11, 02:58 PM

Tags
14, 15, 1990, 94, car, code, computer, ecu, engine, ignition, lexus, location, ls400, no, signal, start