LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

KYB vs. Tokico strutss

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 04:37 PM
amonk93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB vs. Tokico strutss

I'm looking to change the ride in my 93LS to something much more sporty and with a LOT less body roll. I am planning on using H&R sport springs,but I couldn't decide on struts. I was wondering what the differences in ride quality and durability are between the KYB GR2s and the Tokico HPs. I have heard good things about the KYB's, but will they provide much of a difference over stock? I haven't heard much about the tokico's so any input would be great.t
Old 07-06-10, 10:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the boards. This topic has been discussed MANY times before and most of your questions can be answered thru the search feature (is OK PD,,I got him).

since I have you here,, I will answer your question. I have had both the Tokico HP's as well as the KYB's and by far, for the ride quality you are looking for, I am biased with the KYB's. My car is a wekend driver (I drive semi's cross country during the week), so it doesn't get much use. I also have the H&R springs installed. With the Tokico's, I found that the ride was too soft, extremely mushy, and the car would even bottom out on some bumps and dips. I actually blew 3,,yes 3, complete sets in under a year of only weekend driving; so I PERSONALLY don't recommend them. I finally switche over to the KYB's after getting fed up with having to change the Tokico's often enough. I have had nothing but good things to say with them. They are just a bit stiffer than stock, but still offer a strong comfortable ride. I seldom bottom out with them and the ride to me does seem quite sporty, when I do push it. I also added to my suspension, polyurethane bushings, and this added to the sport feel quite nicely. I have only have to replace my KYB's once since install over 2 years ago, and that was due to 1 shock which was defective upon installation. I think the KYB/H&R combo would best fit what you are looking for. Then again,,,, I am a little biased!!

This will give you an idea of how your car will sit with the setup. When settled, the drop will be a little more than an inch or so. This is my car on 18's. I chose not to go to low due to bad roads, and the fact that I don't want to keep replacing tires. These were taken last year (hmm,,need new pics soon),, anyway,,,,,
Attached Thumbnails KYB vs. Tokico strutss-011.jpg  

Last edited by trukn1; 07-06-10 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 02:56 AM
yt35
Rookie

tokicos!!!
Old 07-07-10, 08:28 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all know where this is gonna end up!...get Megans.
Old 07-07-10, 10:35 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm
You ain't never lied. The topic WILL get over to there. LOL!!! Am sure there will be more questions once he searches a little more. Since I had experience with the setups he was mentioning,, just chiming in with my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-08-10, 05:48 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jasonm
it always does haha. With this being said, amonk93 u should buy my megans
Old 07-10-10, 01:20 AM
amonk93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
it always does haha. With this being said, amonk93 u should buy my megans
how much and how many miles on them?
Old 07-10-10, 06:10 AM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amonk93
I'm looking to change the ride in my 93LS to something much more sporty and with a LOT less body roll. t
If you are just complaining about body roll I just installed the Addco rear swaybar that really helped alot in the roll department and didn't affect the overall ride much. I loved the ride when I bought the car but if I hit a corner the car would lean more than any other car I have owned. Mine is a 97 with a tiny rear swaybar. The bar is only 150 bucks at Jegs.
Old 07-10-10, 09:20 PM
amonk93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turboomni
If you are just complaining about body roll I just installed the Addco rear swaybar that really helped alot in the roll department and didn't affect the overall ride much. I loved the ride when I bought the car but if I hit a corner the car would lean more than any other car I have owned. Mine is a 97 with a tiny rear swaybar. The bar is only 150 bucks at Jegs.
Thanks for that great advice...again LOL. I'm KillerFatty on LOC. I need to replace my struts and want to upgrade them while I'm in there. I will still probably add the addco sway bar in addition. The only thing I'm unsure of now is if I should really spend money on suspension upgrades when the LS400 is still lacking in the acceleration department. Without big money on FI the suspension is a moot point.
Old 07-11-10, 02:50 PM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

LOL Sorry !!!! What year is your LS again? And what you want to do to the motor to up the performance??

Last edited by turboomni; 07-11-10 at 03:07 PM.