LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do your phone still works in your LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 10:16 PM
headgone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do your phone still works in your LS 400

I just got my LS 400 1993 and the phone system still works but no service.

Just curious how many people still have the phone in their car and if their Control on the steering still works..
Old 03-04-10, 10:19 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Still have to phone in my car. Everything on it stil works and the controls on the steering wheel work as well. There will NEVER be service available for that phone as it is an analog phone and technology has LONG since passed it by. Now it is just a novelty item.
Old 03-04-10, 10:27 PM
headgone
Driver School Candidate

Great! I like the look of it.. I think I have a plan for it.. I will see what I can do with it to make it work.. or usefull.. I was just curious how many people still have it in their car and if it works...
Old 03-04-10, 10:51 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A more prescient question for me would be, can I use the microphone in the steering wheel to interface with a more modern phone?
edit: Like a Motorola StarTAC
Old 03-04-10, 11:12 PM
headgone
Driver School Candidate

Give me a few months. I think I will have some good new soon...

I guess I will post the good new here along with a youtube video.

Last edited by headgone; 03-04-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 11:39 PM
headgone
Driver School Candidate

Is LS400 93 same phone system as 96?
Old 03-05-10, 07:23 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by headgone
Is LS400 93 same phone system as 96?
No. They are not the same. I lost count of the different phone systems available in the LS400 over the 11 model years. Five? Six? 1993 was the first model year a portable handset as well as a fixed handset was available in the LS400.

Attached are diagrams for the phone systems in the 93 and 96 LS -- locations of some components are different between the two systems. 95 was the first year the phone antenna was imprinted on the rear window eliminating the need for an external antenna.

My recommendation is to carefully unplug all the Lexus phone components and free up some space in your console and trunk. Leaving the remote on the steering wheel doesn't seem to hurt anything although you can probably buy a plastic blank to cover the hole left by removing it.

A few aftermarket Bluetooth phone kits have remote controls that can be mounted on a steering wheel. Attached is a diagram showing the remote for the Parrot 9000 Series Bluetooth kits. If I was installing one of those, I might try to fabricate a bracket and install it where the Lexus phone remote is attached.

Originally Posted by Thermactor
A more prescient question for me would be, can I use the microphone in the steering wheel to interface with a more modern phone?
edit: Like a Motorola StarTAC
I don't see much advantage ... its easy enough to mount a phone kit microphone on the headliner or elsewhere. Aftermarket phone kits can be particular about microphones -- it's not like you can plug in any microphone and expect it to work with any phone kit.
Attached Thumbnails Do your phone still works in your LS 400-1993-ls400-phone-system.png   Do your phone still works in your LS 400-1996-ls400-phone-system.png   Do your phone still works in your LS 400-parrot-9000-series-remote-control.png  
Old 03-05-10, 07:57 AM
headgone
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the diagrams

I have been searching all night for that.. Thanks..

I will let you know how it goes.. but I'm working on something that I think everyone who have that system in their car would love..

and not at a hight price.. So I will get working on it... thanks for your feedback.
Old 03-05-10, 11:37 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

I worked for BellSouth Mobility that became Cingular that became At&T...Then after they pissed me off I went to work for Verizon as a store manager...Analog service is gone gone...Shut down...closed..Even tho your phone has no service plan and no telephone number...IF there was analog signal in the area the phone WOULD have the indication bars on the display indicating signal. I am assuming it is a motorola handset. I have heard in extreme rural areas in Wy and MT and a few coastal communities there are mom and pop cell providers that offer analog service but I think they have all been gobble up by the bigboys..

Heck my mother has a 2003 Mercedes clk320 cabrio that has a digital motorola Timeport in it and she cant get it activated because of the age of the phone and 911 gps shananagans..
Old 04-05-10, 01:27 PM
tomsole
Driver School Candidate

Default Phone

Hi I also have one of the anolog phones in my car. When the car was new I used it for about a year. It was a nice thought. Tecnology went past that so fast it was left in the dust. I should have ripped it out years ago. Now that I have lost my fear of the car I'm thinking I will remove it soon. It's not worth the effort of saving.
Old 04-06-10, 05:51 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is still there and works(powers up) no service though.
Old 06-15-10, 01:15 AM
headgone
Driver School Candidate

Im Having a hard time getting the complete system to do my test anyone knows where I can get a working complete system?
Old 06-15-10, 07:27 AM
iamviolet
Rookie

does the 911 service still work?
Old 06-15-10, 08:17 AM
Famou$LS
Driver

I got rid off mine and replaced it with the factory tray....... Needless to say, the tray is WAY more useful, I now have a spot to put my "Lexus" tin of mints, lol
Old 06-15-10, 06:48 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by iamviolet
does the 911 service still work?
No, analog service has been discontinued.

Quick Reply: Do your phone still works in your LS 400