LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2.5LS Newbie needs some helps. (I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 06:27 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.5LS Newbie needs some helps. (I searched)

Got this 98 LS400 for cheap and it has some minor problems (I hope). Tried to search for answer but couldn't find any, so I'm gonna ask for it.

1. On the temperature control display, my outside temperature keeps saying negative 22 degree F, even when it's like 60. What could be the problem? Sensor? How can I fix that one? Where is it at?

2. On my gauge cluster display, it keeps saying lower washer fluid eventhough the fluid is full. Searched and some say hold the reset, turn the key on II, and hold it til it goes off. Didn't work for me. Found another thread saying I need to check the bottom of the washer fluid bottle and replace the plug there if it's rusted. I'll try that when the weather here get warmer. And confirmation and other suggestion on this one?

3. My heater seems like it's still working. It's blowing and all when I put it on HOT. But, it doesn't blowing hot air out. Only cool air comes out of it. How do I fix this?

4. My serpentine belt was making noise, so I had a shop replaced it. The noise still there now but a little less louder. Should I bring it back to the shop and have them look at it? Or maybe I shouldn't bring it back there at all?

Any informations, suggestions or advices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and MERRY CHRISMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU.
Old 12-25-09, 06:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by My1998LS40
Got this 98 LS400 for cheap and it has some minor problems (I hope). Tried to search for answer but couldn't find any, so I'm gonna ask for it.

1. On the temperature control display, my outside temperature keeps saying negative 22 degree F, even when it's like 60. What could be the problem? Sensor? How can I fix that one? Where is it at?

2. On my gauge cluster display, it keeps saying lower washer fluid eventhough the fluid is full. Searched and some say hold the reset, turn the key on II, and hold it til it goes off. Didn't work for me. Found another thread saying I need to check the bottom of the washer fluid bottle and replace the plug there if it's rusted. I'll try that when the weather here get warmer. And confirmation and other suggestion on this one?

3. My heater seems like it's still working. It's blowing and all when I put it on HOT. But, it doesn't blowing hot air out. Only cool air comes out of it. How do I fix this?

4. My serpentine belt was making noise, so I had a shop replaced it. The noise still there now but a little less louder. Should I bring it back to the shop and have them look at it? Or maybe I shouldn't bring it back there at all?

Any informations, suggestions or advices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and MERRY CHRISMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU.
1. exterior temp sensor, search for it, very likely either bad or unplugged.
2. the windshield washer fluid sensor is basically a foam float and an arm attached to a sensor. over time the foam gets saturated with solution and doesnt really float. easiest way to fix this is unplugging the sensor at the bottom of the windshield washer reservoir, or replacing it out of a junkyard car. i unplugged it as i basically never use the windshield fluid so it never really empties.
3. air bubble in the cooling system, search for it. easy fix.
4. you paid them money and the problem's still there? get your money back (via CC if you need to) and go somewhere else.

please learn to use the search feature more effectively
Old 12-25-09, 10:11 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that temperature gauge reading -22degrees should be your engine coolant temp sensor if i remember correctly not positive but pretty sure .............
Old 12-25-09, 10:12 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my heater on my sc400 is doing that ....................... god haha it sucks because its cold haha so im driving the camry with all of its heated goodness. I was thinking it was maybe the heater control valve .
Old 12-25-09, 04:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

please explain to me why and how the exterior temperature gauge would read off the ECT

it kind of defeats the idea....
Old 12-25-09, 11:57 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
please explain to me why and how the exterior temperature gauge would read off the ECT

it kind of defeats the idea....
Yah, I think he's wrong on that one, too PureDrifter. I think it's the exterior temperature sensor. But I dont know where that thing is located at. Don't have a manual yet so I can't look it up. Searched but couldn't find any post saying anything about it. Anyone knows?

Today, I sat in the car trying to reset the lower washer fluild warning light with the headlight on auto. By the time I tried to restart the car, my battery went low and wouldn't start. VSC off light came on and now, I need to jump my car every single time. I'll take the battery out to AutoZone and have them check and recharge it. Hopefully that would take care of the problem.

Also, I think my AC condensor is leaking. So, should I buy used part, new aftermarket ones on ebay or new OEM one from stealership? Anyone has experiences with ebay AC condensor?
Old 12-27-09, 09:02 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your exterior temp sensor is located in the bumper grille closer to the passenger head light, check out the pic.
Attached Thumbnails 2.5LS Newbie needs some helps. (I searched)-img_4088_mod.jpg  
Old 12-27-09, 09:17 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Speaking of noisy serpentine belts . . . the belt is rarely "The Noise".
If you hear crackly noise coming from the front, a light quick spray of glass cleaner will quiet down the "squicking" of rubber as it leaves the pulleys. Then, any remaining noise you can be certain is coming from either an idler bearing or a component that is driven by the serpentine belt.
Colin