LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Run air compressor manually

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 08:06 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Smile Run air compressor manually

Hi guys, my 93 Celsior is down at the moment waiting on a rebuilt ECU from the US. While waiting I notice the rear air sus tends to go down due to a small leak on the right shock. Is there a way to run the air compressor manually with maybe a jumper somewhere since the engine cannot start?

I did a lot of searching to see if there was but couldn't find anything like that. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to muck it up.

Thanks
Old 12-06-21, 12:30 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

why not just turn the key to the ON position, even though the engine is off and cannot start? i would think that should run the compressor if all the air suspension components are in working order. of course this would drain the battery so be weary of the voltage draw.

hot wiring the compressor is another solution but that is more intrusive.
The following users liked this post:
avhart (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 12:39 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hey Timmy. was hoping to hear form you. The key thing doesn't work on my car. The engine has to be started for the compressor to come on.

So how do you hot wire it?
Old 12-06-21, 12:49 PM
timmy0tool

hmm i suspect the ECU needs to know the engine is on in order to run the compressor to keep the alternator charging is my guess.

i'm not familiar with factory air suspension, but i know yamae is - at least he has access to lots of schematics to show how the compressor is wired. hope he chimes in!
avhart (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 12:59 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Fair enough. Thanks a lot there Timmy.

Yamae are you there?.... We're waiting to hear from you lol
Old 12-06-21, 02:07 PM
timmy0tool

found a thread that yamae posted, see post #5:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...sion-leak.html

step 2B shows how to "hot-wire" the compressor. might differ on a RHD celsior but should be similar.
Attached Thumbnails Run air compressor manually-screenshot_20191013_103231_com_google_android_apps_docs_4627c0f36dfbc7911ad2858a25b8a6c6d0b9a4b1.jpg  
avhart (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 02:31 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Timmy your a gem. I really looked myself for that info but just couldn't find it. Now I notice that this is for a 2000 LS and 93 Celsior might be somewhat different but I have a lot to work with here thanks to you finding Yamae's post. I will see how it relates to my car and provide an update when I have information.

Can't thank you enough.
Anthony
Old 12-06-21, 07:34 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by avhart
Hi guys, my 93 Celsior is down at the moment waiting on a rebuilt ECU from the US. While waiting I notice the rear air sus tends to go down due to a small leak on the right shock. Is there a way to run the air compressor manually with maybe a jumper somewhere since the engine cannot start?

I did a lot of searching to see if there was but couldn't find anything like that. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to muck it up.

Thanks
Attached is a part of the circuit diagram for a 94 Celsior's air suspension system and is not for a 93 but things must not be different too much. The motor (near the lower left corner) is getting the power via 120A alternator fuse, 40A air suspension fuse and the height control relay which is driven by the air suspension control computer. The motor can be driven manually simply bypassing the relay. Sorry that I don't have a circuit diagram for a Gen 1 and I only can provide you this. The lower side of the motor is grounded via the current sensing registor, I must add. I hope this might help you some.

avhart (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 04:01 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thank you once again for your input Yamae. That is very important additional information. Together with what Timmy has sent me earlier I should be able to figure everything out. I will post my results when I have them.

Happy Christmas and Holidays to everyone.

Anthony
Old 12-07-21, 08:29 AM
timmy0tool

Timmy your a gem. I really looked myself for that info but just couldn't find it. Now I notice that this is for a 2000 LS and 93 Celsior might be somewhat different but I have a lot to work with here thanks to you finding Yamae's post. I will see how it relates to my car and provide an update when I have information.

Can't thank you enough.
Anthony
no prob sir. funny the instructions to hot wire are for a 2000 but the stock picture of the vehicle in the diagrams is a 1st gen haha! glad to help in any way.

cheers!
avhart (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 08:51 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thank you Timmy, All good guys in this forum I think..
Old 12-07-21, 10:53 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hey Yamae, my car has two height control relays, front and back. Will bypassing either relay start up the compressor? Is there, by chance, a way to run the compressor by a jumper in the TDCL?
Old 12-07-21, 11:26 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I remember on my old 93 LS400 which had factory air suspension there was a way to jump the compressor but I can't remember how. Something in the trunk I think. That was 12 years ago. Sorry, I know that doesn't help ya but I got a question for ya instead. Why are you trying to jump it in the first place? Why don't you just wait for your ECU to come back then you can start the car and it'll pump back up. Ya can't drive it now without the ECU anyway. How long til you get your ECU back? Plus, I don't think it's good to have the battery hooked up without the ECU in. Just my thought.
avhart (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 12:01 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hey dean, nice to hear from you. The reason is that I have a small leak on one of my rear shocks and the car sinks unevenly in the back and just does not look attractive sitting there in my garage. Not that big a deal I know, but still...

The connector to run the pump is really in the trunk but to get at it would mean removing most of the trim covers which I would like to get away from, if I could help it. So I'm looking for an alternate way. Again I believe you are quite right about running the air pump without the ECU connected but I actually have another ECU hooked up but its not all that good either and is no longer starting the car. This is a new problem because it used to work pretty good until it just quit.

Now I'm guessing it is the old ECU causing the issue because I'm not getting any spark although the coils are receiving power when I turn the ignition on. If you have any suggestions about this my other very recent no-start problem I'd love to hear your thoughts. I believe the CPS can cause it but I don't think its that because it never showed any symptoms before.

Anthony
PS the ECU's not showing any codes...

Last edited by avhart; 12-07-21 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-07-21, 05:22 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

it used to work pretty good until it just quit.

Now I'm guessing it is the old ECU causing the issue I believe the CPS can cause it but I don't think its that because it never showed any symptoms before.

Anthony
PS the ECU's not showing any codes...
Yea everything works, until it doesn't. I've had a couple crank sensors go bad on other cars, (GM) never on my LS400s, but ya never know. The ECU not reading any codes, even the "all is good" code means that ECU is not good. One of my ECUs was working perfect til one night I shut it off and the next morning I went out and it wouldn't start. I opened that ECU up and found one of the caps was burnt right off and just bouncing around inside. So, that can go out at any time also.
avhart (12-08-21)

Quick Reply: Run air compressor manually