LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 ls window switch and wacky rear end

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 07:01 PM
pearl93'ls
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 ls window switch and wacky rear end

Good evening I am looking for a little advice on my trusty 1993 LS. I have had this car since 12k miles 1995 and it is now pushing 300k. Unfortunately my $$$ situation has changed over the past 2 yrs like so many people and I just cant afford to roll her into the shop like I could in the past. So I am trying to become more handy with things on weekends...You know instead of freakin payin somebody

My driver side window has quit working and my trusty Lex mech has quoted me....... over $500 just for the master switch! I am thinking about doing the Ebay thing and finding a good used switch. I was also thinking about taking it out and seeing if I can clean it or check for loose connections. Before it completely failed I could slam my door over and over and it would start working for a few days and then i would need to grab a villain and slam his head in the door over and over again and it would work again. the other switches work but you have to really press it hard to get the pass window to function. What do you guys think I should try first? I am up for anything on this upcoming cold saturday morning

Also I just replaced my rear carrier bushings in hope to stop the loose wiggly wiggly of my rear end. Umm to be more specific it really gets loosy gooosy when just changing lanes on the freeway or if there is a crease in the pavement it will switch my rear back and forth. It is so annoying but hey its 16yrs old and EVERYTHING is original back there except the carrier bushings I mentioned. Any suggestions in this department? Im wanting to make this my wifes daily commuter and put me back in the Elantra for my 120mile commute, but she wont drive it until I get these issues repaired and the instrument cluster....But hey I did my search on this and I am resolving that this Monday...Geez but hey this car owes me absolutely nothing after all these years and miles...I just wanna keep her goin

Any help from you guys would be most helpful

thanks
Attached Thumbnails 93 ls window switch and wacky rear end-lex.jpg  

Last edited by pearl93'ls; 12-04-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 07:44 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, buy the window switch on ebay and and use this tutorial to replace it.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorpanel.html

I bought two online and had good luck with both. Also, look on craigslist, you may find a parts car in your area with a switch available.
Old 12-04-09, 08:22 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl93'ls
Also I just replaced my rear carrier bushings in hope to stop the loose wiggly wiggly of my rear end.
Did replacing the carrier bushings not help resolve the poor tracking?
ColinInCummingGAintwoweeks
Old 12-04-09, 08:41 PM
pearl93'ls
Driver

No it did not...I read up on here about it a little bit and that was my first move. I will tell you when I had the last set of worn out Michelins on there it was better than it is now with new tread.... My car is also a non air-suspension model...non trac as well...What else could I try next?
Old 12-05-09, 12:03 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the rod that connects to the rear carrier bushing and see if the bushing is also worn out. You may want to check the differential bushings and the differential carrier bushings.
Old 03-04-10, 11:14 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

well the window switch I ordered off Ebay did not fix my driver window problem so I am assuming there is a problem in the door itself.. Maybe a motor?

I am also getting ready to address the suspension in the car as well. Almost everythin is original except rear carrier bushing and upper control arms up front 9 yrs ago. lol.
I got a good tax return this yr (thanks Lily and Carter) so I have some $$ to finally address some of these issues so I can keep this car on the road!

New windshield went in today! Electrolum display is being repaired Saturday. So if there was a wish list of suspension parts to start with what would you guys suggest I start first??? Car still rides pretty good but I got a loose rear end and a small rattle up front over SMALL bumps..Hit me with a list and also suggestions on where to buy replacement parts. Thanks for all you help.I love this site!
Old 03-04-10, 02:27 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i saw your ad on craigslist. you need to keep that car! pearl white with black interior is rare!

My 93's suspension was old and rusty (chicago car) so i replaced it with a nice used set of shocks and springs, ball joints(new), rear carrier bushings(new), Lower ball joints(new), upper control arms(used) and strut rod bushings(used). The car is exceptionally smooth now.

power steering is leaking now though, thankfully i got a power steering pump(reman!) from a Pull-A-Part for like $20.

Once i replace the power steering my car will be good for another 200k!

I would drive my 93 to vancouver and back without batting an eyelash.

Now if i could just get my 2nd gen seats to fit... too....lazy.....
Old 03-04-10, 10:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Loose rear end could be issue with a few things,,
Bushings ( I know you said the Carriers were changed already), may want to look at the lower control arm bushings as well. Worn shocks will also give that uneasy feel and it may be time since you state that the car is pretty much original. The rattle you may be hearing up front would most likely be due to worn STRUT RODS. The bushing(cushion) becomes worn out over time and you will get a metallic clank/rattle going over bumps. It could also be worn shocks or the top mounts for the shocks. If you gonna do suspension work, since it is a first gen LS,,most likely you will need to address/replace a variety of bushings since them may be well worn out. Shocks will be the next item(if you havent done so already) as well.
Old 03-05-10, 08:48 AM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

If i were in your position i would take the car to a local tire shop and have a four wheel alignment done. Now i know your thinking if their is an issue back their or i have to replace something then im gonna have to have it aligned again right? Correct-but if you go in to get it done and something is worn out(free diagnosis)because they wont be able to align it. Or what i found was the shop that did my alignment gives you redues for free for the first 12 months. One of my best investments yet. i had a similar issue with my car tracking from lane to lane. The alignment took care of the problem with no parts nessasary. I did however replace the struts a week later and then went and had it realigned for free It wouldnt hurt to jack it up and shake the rear end down to see if anything is loose first tho. Sinsce you havent mentioned any noise back their i imagine its gonna be ok
Old 03-05-10, 09:39 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

Thanks for the info! omarg I did have the ole car on craigslist but decided on keeping it. Plus until I get some of these tracking issues straight I dont think its up for selling

I am probably going to start with an alignment as mentioned. It has been yrs and yrs since it has had one done. I know our walmart automotive has a lifetime alignment for like $80 so I may start there. The cars steering is straight and the front tires have worn even. The rear tires I discovered today are not. I climbed under the car and started checkin somethings when I doscovered the inside edge of the rear tires are almost bald. I mean worn bad. Is that due to tires toeing out???I had never noticed but you cant unless you climb under and look! Sooooo I guess I do have some issues to address. Thanks for the advice...Thats awesome help
Old 03-05-10, 09:40 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

heres a pic of one rear tire..See how bad that inside tread is worn down?
Attached Thumbnails 93 ls window switch and wacky rear end-tire.jpg  
Old 03-05-10, 07:46 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you decide to change the struts I would go with the arnotts that have the entire assembly. Springs and all. Then you will have the whole assembly new and don't have to worry about something else wearing out later. For the price it cost about the same as replacing struts and mounts. I think its around 600 for all four. jimmy has a post about them on this site somewhere
Old 03-22-10, 07:31 PM
pearl93'ls
Driver

4 wheel alignment complete and it cured my wiggle woes. The car tracks darn straight now I am glad that fixed it. I had the tech check for worn bushings and such front and rear. he came back needing one tie rod so I had it replaced. rotated the tires around and I got a great driving car again. new windshield in the morning and driver window repair. I bought a used swith for it of Fleabay but it did not work so i guess its in the door somewhere. Know more tomorrow! Thanks for the good advice
Old 03-22-10, 07:35 PM
pearl93'ls
Driver

yeah yeah I know this is off Lexus but I had to show my new prize I am getting tomorrow. 1986 2 owner 96k I miles $800 I love these old cars. You cant find em anymore either
Attached Thumbnails 93 ls window switch and wacky rear end-olds.jpg