LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

weird noise from passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 12:39 PM
CPFMonkey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise from passenger side

Hey guys so I have a 1991 Lexus LS400. and recently I noticed that when i drive around from the drivers side there is a annoying rattling/squeaking noise when i drive it, especially. This especially happened during the summer. But now during the witner it hasnt happened so much (i live in NY state, cold winters) But recently i was doing some testing and i found out if i start driving the car hard, (pedal to the metal) and hard braking the squeeking noise comes back again! it sounds like its coming from the glove compartment, but i dont think it is. I've replaced my strusts, my mechanic thought it might solve the problem, but it didnt at all. (they needed replacing anyway so its alright.

any ideas?!?
Old 11-20-09, 01:51 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not from the East Coast but i get the same creaking sound in the cold mornings from the driver side and rarely from the passenger side. After having checked the basic suspension parts including the shock absorber and the spring, mechanic saw that the strut mount was completely worn. Look it up via ebay if you prefer. It's a $60 part and might need changing depending on the mileage of your car...

Check that out first!
Old 11-20-09, 02:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check lower and upper ball joints
Old 11-20-09, 02:25 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by curepunx
Im not from the East Coast but i get the same creaking sound in the cold mornings from the driver side and rarely from the passenger side. After having checked the basic suspension parts including the shock absorber and the spring, mechanic saw that the strut mount was completely worn. Look it up via ebay if you prefer. It's a $60 part and might need changing depending on the mileage of your car...

Check that out first!
Thanks for the tip. My car has this kind of sound to when it's cold outside when I starts to drive. Only hears it when I drove slowly over bumps but its irritating. May have to check to see if the strut mount are ok. But my car is a high mileage car so I think it can be time to change the mount any way. Does it take a lot of labor to change it?

Edit. My car has air suspension. Looks like I don't have any strut mounts in the same way as a car without air suspension according to T O Y O D I Y.com. Is this correct? Can the noise I here be from the air shooks them self or from the sway bar bushings? The squeaks stops when I have droved for a short distance.

Last edited by JAndersson; 11-20-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-20-09, 03:06 PM
curepunx
Driver

Originally Posted by JAndersson
Thanks for the tip. My car has this kind of sound to when it's cold outside when I starts to drive. Only hears it when I drove slowly over bumps but its irritating. May have to check to see if the strut mount are ok. But my car is a high mileage car so I think it can be time to change the mount any way. Does it take a lot of labor to change it?

Edit. My car has air suspension. Looks like I don't have any strut mounts in the same way as a car without air suspension according to T O Y O D I Y.com. Is this correct? Can the noise I here be from the air shooks them self or from the sway bar bushings? The squeaks stops when I have droved for a short distance.
Im not too familiar with air suspensions, however, my car did the same thing. Once it had been driven a short distance, it not longer made that sound until the following morning. The top might not be the same but yes like PD said, check the lower ball joints/upper control arms. In addition to the creaking sound, i had a clunking sound (metal to metal sound) when going over bumps. Labor was approximately 1.5-2 hrs of labor at my local indie shop. ($60 dollars)...but may vary obviously per location. Just shop around after you find the definite problem!

But before anything, get it checked by a professional mechanic.
Old 11-20-09, 03:34 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Did a car inspection last week and they didn't find any problem with my suspension parts. They don't do the most rigorous control so I guess they could miss some minor problems.
Old 11-20-09, 03:38 PM
curepunx
Driver

Originally Posted by JAndersson
Did a car inspection last week and they didn't find any problem with my suspension parts. They don't do the most rigorous control so I guess they could miss some minor problems.
Then possibly get a second opinion elsewhere. You may or may not want to mention an unusual sound from the passenger side so they pay extra close attention in that general area....
Old 12-06-09, 07:54 PM
CPFMonkey
Rookie

bump!

im gonna go to my mechanic tomorrow and tell him to fix the problem, but I might not be able to get it to squeak, cause its pretty cold up here in the NY, so if it doesnt squeak what should i tell him to look at? any other suggestions?
Old 12-07-09, 06:21 AM
Armyguy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
check lower and upper ball joints

Agreed. Check those first.
Old 12-07-09, 12:25 PM
CPFMonkey
Rookie

thanks! i'll tell my mechanic too take a look i'll keep you guys updated!
Old 01-11-10, 11:18 AM
CPFMonkey
Rookie

Hey sorry for not keeping you guys updated, but I talked to my mechanic and he replaced the front sway bar bushings & tightened them up. Apparently this has solved the problem. I haven't heard any noise at all, but maybe once it starts getting warm it wont be the same.
Old 02-27-10, 02:14 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Replaced all my sway bar bushings today and now my squeaking has stopped to. The front sway bar bushings was in really bad shape, totally worn-outed. The rear ones was not that bad but changed them anyway.