LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Picked her up! 94 LS400 - Need help with a few problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 03:41 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Picked her up! 94 LS400 - Need help with a few problems!

68k miles on her. Just brought her home. Paint is amazing!

3 Questions if ANYONE can answer them -

1. what is a good carpet cleaner? (just to get out a few random soda stains or something "sticky" that was left in the carpet

2. the back left shock rides really low - the dealership said the spring (I believe part #5 in the assembly) will need to be replaced eventually. i plan on dropping the car anyways - can I just buy 4 new shocks? if so, which ones? and how hard are they to install yourself? (I have all the tools)

3. this isn't air suspension is it? only the 90-91s? or is it?

Thanks all.
Old 08-18-09, 03:42 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Oh an if anyone wants to suggest to me anything else to do to her. It was owned by an old lady who garaged it during the winter while she was in FL (hence the low millage)

Should I start running Mobil 1 in it?

Does the stereo have a built-in sub? Can this be replaced with a newer sub?
Old 08-18-09, 04:07 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like an air suspension to me....If it has air suspension look for the normal High button next to pwr ect button which is right next to the shift ****
Old 08-18-09, 04:10 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Originally Posted by Salil022
Looks like an air suspension to me....If it has air suspension look for the normal High button next to pwr ect button which is right next to the shift ****
Nope, nothing. It only has the pwr/ect button
Old 08-18-09, 04:14 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Carpet cleaner- I have had success with resolve high traffic. Worked pretty well, had to scrub a little with a brush but came out good.

2. Back shock - cant really tell from pic if car is air ride. Looks like it may be. Do you have buttons by the shifter to adjust suspension to sport/soft, and another for Hi/Low function. If so, you have air ride. If this is the case, looks like you have a blown air bag. Replacement of them can be quite expensive. Some have been using reman. parts from a manufacturer called Arnott Industries. Replacing the air bags can be expensive, especially from a dealer. This may help ease the pain a little.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...id7_pid46.html

Most of the time, when the air suspension goes, most members just convert over to a shock/spring combo(cheapest alternative), or coilovers. Relatively straight forward to install if you are knowledgeable. You can just buy 1 and replace, but rule of thumb is to replace in pairs.

3. See response above.

Welcome to CL.
Old 08-18-09, 04:19 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Originally Posted by trukn1
1. Carpet cleaner- I have had success with resolve high traffic. Worked pretty well, had to scrub a little with a brush but came out good.

2. Back shock - cant really tell from pic if car is air ride. Looks like it may be. Do you have buttons by the shifter to adjust suspension to sport/soft, and another for Hi/Low function. If so, you have air ride. If this is the case, looks like you have a blown air bag. Replacement of them can be quite expensive. Some have been using reman. parts from a manufacturer called Arnott Industries. Replacing the air bags can be expensive, especially from a dealer. This may help ease the pain a little.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...id7_pid46.html

Most of the time, when the air suspension goes, most members just convert over to a shock/spring combo(cheapest alternative), or coilovers. Relatively straight forward to install if you are knowledgeable. You can just buy 1 and replace, but rule of thumb is to replace in pairs.

3. See response above.

Welcome to CL.
Thanks for the detailed response. Can you pick up resolve high traffic anywhere?

Also - it is not air suspension I don't think since there are no buttons. I'd like to replace all the shocks. Would you suggest coilovers? And if so, how much do these run?
Old 08-18-09, 04:35 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

No problem. The other responses posted while I was typing. You can pick up Resolve High Traffic Carpet Cleaner just about anywhere(Supermarket, Home Depot, Walmart, anywhere carpet cleaning supplies are sold).

Since the car is not running air, looks like you may have a severly blown shock. Coilovers are good in that you can select the adjustability to suit you, or ride low and slow; lol!! Really just depends on the ride quality that you are looking for. If you are trying to stay OEM, then you will have to get the shocks from the dealer(not cheap). If you are looking to stay close to OEM, I personally, would suggest KYB-GR2 shocks. OEM's are KYB's as well but are spec'ed a little differently EXCLUSIVELY for Lexus. GR2's will give you a ride quality which will be CLOSE to OEM, but just a little stiffer.

Having a first gen LS kinda limits you in your coilover choices. There really isnt a whole lot available for LS's, pre 95. Only choices you really have are K-sports(not too popular, blows easily, poor customer svc), JIC Magics, Megans(for the 95+ but it fits pre 95 as well, and is a VERY POPULAR choice here on the forums), or Buddy Clubs(Import). The cheapest of the group is gonna be the Megans, which run about $800 and can be ordered from our vendors here on the forum.

You just need to do a search, using the keywords for whatever topic you need, in order to gather more opinions.
Old 08-18-09, 04:42 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

No problem. The other responses posted while I was typing. You can pick up Resolve High Traffic Carpet Cleaner just about anywhere(Supermarket, Home Depot, Walmart, anywhere carpet cleaning supplies are sold).

Since the car is not running air, looks like you may have a severly blown shock. Coilovers are good in that you can select the adjustability to suit you, or ride low and slow; lol!! Really just depends on the ride quality that you are looking for. If you are trying to stay OEM, then you will have to get the shocks from the dealer(not cheap). If you are looking to stay close to OEM, I personally, would suggest KYB-GR2 shocks. OEM's are KYB's as well but are spec'ed a little differently EXCLUSIVELY for Lexus. GR2's will give you a ride quality which will be CLOSE to OEM, but just a little stiffer.

Having a first gen LS kinda limits you in your coilover choices. There really isnt a whole lot available for LS's, pre 95. Only choices you really have are K-sports(not too popular, blows easily, poor customer svc), JIC Magics, Megans(for the 95+ but it fits pre 95 as well, and is a VERY POPULAR choice here on the forums), or Buddy Clubs(Import). The cheapest of the group is gonna be the Megans, which run about $800 and can be ordered from our vendors here on the forum.

You just need to do a search, using the keywords for whatever topic you need, in order to gather more opinions.
1994 Lexus LS400 - KYB Rear Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly - GR-2 - Shock absorber $97 shipped
1994 Lexus LS400 - KYB Front Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly - GR-2 - Shock absorber $98 shipped

x2 each?
Old 08-18-09, 04:43 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damnn thats a sicker drop when i had my supras on!!

Old 08-18-09, 04:50 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

GYM,,you CAN replace only 1, if money is an issue. General rule of thumb is to replace in pairs for even wear. I would check with some of your local parts stores. Some of them actually stock these shocks and they may be cheaper as well. I got mine from from my Local Pepboys store; Autozone has them occasionally as well.
Old 08-18-09, 04:54 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

GYM,,you CAN replace only 1, if money is an issue. General rule of thumb is to replace in pairs for even wear. I would check with some of your local parts stores. Some of them actually stock these shocks and they may be cheaper as well. I got mine from from my Local Pepboys store; Autozone has them occasionally as well.
Awesome. Money isn't so much an issue considering the price I got on the car. I have about $2k to play with and the car needs some rubber so I'll be throwing some wheels on too. Shocks/wheels/tires. Not sure what else I should do - tint is pretty much pointless in NH. I like the stock audio, although I am going to do that ipod connection mod tomorrow, that should be fun.

Any suggestions on anything else I should get?
Old 08-18-09, 05:07 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Shocks/wheels/tires,,,,,$2k just MIGHT cover it all, depending on the wheels. LOL!!

Best thing I can tell you is happy hunting, go thru the recent pics thread to see what others may have done(for inspiration), and just make it your own. As you can see, I did. LOL!!!
Old 08-18-09, 05:14 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From one of your original posts you talked about someone telling you that the spring was gone on that wheel. Make sure of what you really need before buying a shock. The spring around the shock is a separate part from the shock. You have to take out the back seat to get the shock/spring assembly out. You may need both the shock and spring. Might be wise to go right to the Megan's if that's where your headed anyways.
Old 08-18-09, 05:16 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trukn1,

Is that an IS front grill on there?
Old 08-18-09, 05:27 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Trukn1,

Is that an IS front grill on there?
LOL,,no. It IS an LS grill. Is part of the EREBUNI kit. I had it laying around when I went monotone, so I just decided to use it. I also had a Wald lip that was suppose to go on, but was damaged beyond repair.

Originally Posted by JimsGX
From one of your original posts you talked about someone telling you that the spring was gone on that wheel. Make sure of what you really need before buying a shock. The spring around the shock is a separate part from the shock. You have to take out the back seat to get the shock/spring assembly out
Agreed. Get up under the car to see what you truly need before you start buying parts.

Last edited by trukn1; 08-18-09 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Picked her up! 94 LS400 - Need help with a few problems!