LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power antenna function, aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 09:51 AM
Daniel N
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power antenna function, aftermarket HU

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to control the power antenna when I'm installing my new headunit JVC KD-AVX810 2DIN in my LS 1993? I really want the antenna to unfold or go down when I press the radio button, just like the factory headunit. Is this possible

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Old 10-05-08, 10:25 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

I have a 93 as well with an aftermarket hu, as long as your hu has a plug in for the antenna youll be fine. it is not hardwired into the stock hu.
Old 10-05-08, 10:41 AM
Celsior400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fa sho... what brandicus said is right... as long as there is a place to plug it in itll work fine!
Old 10-05-08, 07:48 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never knew that, mines always up unless i hit the pwr button on my HU
Old 10-07-08, 06:58 AM
Daniel N
Rookie

Thanks for the replies... I was just wondering after I read the electric wire diagram I can't really understand that there are 3 wires going into the radio from the auto antenna. Does someone know what the wires are for? See pic.
Attached Thumbnails Power antenna function, aftermarket HU-dsc01079.jpg  
Old 07-06-09, 02:42 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel N
Thanks for the replies... I was just wondering after I read the electric wire diagram I can't really understand that there are 3 wires going into the radio from the auto antenna. Does someone know what the wires are for? See pic.
Have the same question. The head unit I'm buying is a Pioneer FH-P80BT and according to it's manual it only has one contact for controlling the power antenna relay. Which one of the contacts should I connect to?
Old 07-06-09, 12:30 PM
Christian
Pole Position

Hi,

I guess it is for the antenna hight control by frequency.

Christian
Old 07-08-09, 02:20 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is one thing i couldnt work out either. Aftermarket headunits only have 1 antenna wire. When this is used (for memory) the antenna is up as long as the headunit is on, which is stupid as most of the time I'll be playing mp3's or cd's. I rigged up a little switch in my friends car to control the antenna - surely there's a better way than this?
Old 07-08-09, 03:19 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I connected the HU's one Atn wire to all three factory wires, and it worked. This is in a 96 LS.
Old 07-08-09, 10:03 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

one antenna plug... and it only raises the antenna when the radio function is on. it really is that simple people
Old 07-09-09, 01:07 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

sometimes its funny reading everything u guys write..

so plug the antennae into the stereo. that will get your signal into the deck.
to control the antennae going up and down is controlled through the blue wire coming out of your aftermarket stereo. cheap stereos only have on blue wire. nicer stereos have two. a blue and a blue/white wire. blue/white is your amp turn on. it supplies 12v at all times the stereo is turned on.
the blue wire is your power antennae lead. it will only supply 12v when the stereo is in tuner mode.

u want to hook the blue wire up to your power antenae control wire. this should also be blue on your wiring harness adapter u bought when the stereo was installed.
now toyotas are a little different... if you follow the single blue wire to the actual connector u will see it loops back out of one pin and into another. one pin is your amp turn on and the other is fo your power antenna.

you will want to cut the loop and now u have two pins with a blue wire. test each of them by tagging the blue wire coming out of the stereo (make sure stereo is turned on and in FM tuner mode). one of these will make the antenna go up and down. connect your blue wire here. use the other wire/pin for your amp turn on (blue/white wire coming out of the deck).

like always. if you are unsure then take it to a professional and pay him to do it. should be inexpensive quick and easy. its not worth u frying your deck and/or other parts of the car if you dont feel comfertable with performing this type of work.
Old 07-09-09, 01:47 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nervekiler
sometimes its funny reading everything u guys write..

so plug the antennae into the stereo. that will get your signal into the deck.
to control the antennae going up and down is controlled through the blue wire coming out of your aftermarket stereo. cheap stereos only have on blue wire. nicer stereos have two. a blue and a blue/white wire. blue/white is your amp turn on. it supplies 12v at all times the stereo is turned on.
the blue wire is your power antennae lead. it will only supply 12v when the stereo is in tuner mode.

u want to hook the blue wire up to your power antenae control wire. this should also be blue on your wiring harness adapter u bought when the stereo was installed.
now toyotas are a little different... if you follow the single blue wire to the actual connector u will see it loops back out of one pin and into another. one pin is your amp turn on and the other is fo your power antenna.

you will want to cut the loop and now u have two pins with a blue wire. test each of them by tagging the blue wire coming out of the stereo (make sure stereo is turned on and in FM tuner mode). one of these will make the antenna go up and down. connect your blue wire here. use the other wire/pin for your amp turn on (blue/white wire coming out of the deck).

like always. if you are unsure then take it to a professional and pay him to do it. should be inexpensive quick and easy. its not worth u frying your deck and/or other parts of the car if you dont feel comfertable with performing this type of work.
Thanks for your input. Will not do the installation myself. As you say, it is often really cheap to let a professional do it. In this case the installation will be done by the same company I'm buying the stereo from. Just asked to make sure I didn't miss any important information.