LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 12:48 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What ohms are the factory speakers in the 98-00 Pioneer system? I am considering just adding a new 5-channel amp to my setup and maybe a new 8" sub to replace the old one. I was about to order the beatsonic harness, but being that my car is 13 years old.. I can have a nice brand new 5ch amp putting out a little more power for a few hundred more installed. That is peace of mind considering the beatsonic harness is 300.00 and a waste if my factory pioneer amp ever fails.
Old 08-10-13, 05:10 PM
Yamae

Received 867 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13
What ohms are the factory speakers in the 98-00 Pioneer system?
Front: 2 ohms
Rear: 4 ohms
Sub woofer: 2 ohms

You can confirm those accessing each pages of here. Things are all written in Japanese but simply click photos and see rear side of speakers. You will find figures 2 or 4 on those.

Most of after market amplifiers are designed to drive 4 ohms or higher. To drive 2 ohms would stress the driving transistors at the final stage.
Old 08-10-13, 08:58 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
Front: 2 ohms
Rear: 4 ohms
Sub woofer: 2 ohms

You can confirm those accessing each pages of here. Things are all written in Japanese but simply click photos and see rear side of speakers. You will find figures 2 or 4 on those.

Most of after market amplifiers are designed to drive 4 ohms or higher. To drive 2 ohms would stress the driving transistors at the final stage.
Actually the amplifier I am looking at is rated for 75w x 4 RMS @2ohm or 60w x 4 rms @ 4ohm and 400 x 1 @ 2ohms. I doubt that running the fronts at 2ohms will strain the amp as the majority of the heat will be coming from the subwoofer channel. I would worry if I was powering all the speakers with a regular 4 channel up which would be basically a 4ohm amp.

Sounds this will be perfect for my needs.
Old 08-11-13, 03:16 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Does anyone here have the sizing dimensions for the factory 98-00 Pioneer AMP?
Old 08-11-13, 03:54 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Is the Nak head unit out of my 99 plug and play if installed in a 95 with a Nak ??
Old 09-16-13, 10:57 PM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys some questions for u

i got a 1990 LS400

was wondering for whoever fit 6.5's was it a difficult fit?
or if anyone fit 6 3/4th's was it a difficult fit?
or shud i go w/ like a 5 inch and watever speakers?
Old 09-20-13, 12:04 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KiNGD206
hey guys some questions for u

i got a 1990 LS400

was wondering for whoever fit 6.5's was it a difficult fit?
or if anyone fit 6 3/4th's was it a difficult fit?
or shud i go w/ like a 5 inch and watever speakers?
It's very doable. Just requires a bit of cutting. Here's a tutorial from LexLS on how to fit 5.25" speakers into the stock front speakers. I would imagine the process is similar for 6.5" speakers but don't take my word for it.
Old 10-22-13, 07:51 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So I'm in my research phase for door speakers right now and I'm very much interested in components from Image Dynamics. Mainly their CTX65CS component set.

My question is, has anyone figured out the maximum speaker mounting depth the door panel of the 2.5LS, or at least the 2LS (assuming things carry over), will accommodate? The CTX65CS component set consists of a 6.5" woofer with a mounting depth of 2.75" and a 1" silk dome tweeter.

I've read through this thread and I haven't seen any real figures as far as mounting depth on the speaker goes (for the 2.5LS anyways), though from looking at other generations, one could assume it's between 3" and 4", but clarification is always nice. As for mounting the tweeters, I will be using the factory positions while the rear may be coaxially (on the speaker) mounted or in a similar fashion as Lexkost has done (the point where the C Pillar meets the rest of the door).

Last edited by Sc0pe; 10-28-13 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-22-13, 12:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
So I'm in my research phase for door speakers right now and I'm very much interested in components from Image Dynamics. Mainly their CSX64 v.2 and CTX65CS models.

My question is, has anyone figured out the maximum mounting depth the door panel of the 2.5LS, or at least the 2LS (assuming things carry over), will accommodate? The woofer in the CTX65CS component set is 6.5" with a mounting depth of 2.75". The ID CSX64 v.2 on the other hand, uses a 6.5" woofer with a mounting depth of 3".

I've read through this thread and I haven't seen any real figures as far as mounting depth on the speaker goes (for the 2.5LS anyways), though from looking at other generations, one could assume it's between 3" and 4", but clarification is always nice. As for mounting the tweeters, I will be using the factory positions while the rear may be coaxially (on the speaker) mounted or in a similar fashion as Lexkost has done (the point where the C Pillar meets the rest of the door).
Interested in how this turns out since its in my near future.
Old 10-23-13, 09:41 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sha4000
Interested in how this turns out since its in my near future.
Here's the pictures from Lexkost's build:
Old 10-24-13, 08:37 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I saw those but he never responded to a lot of questions in his thread. Right now I have the sony 601bt and a rockford 5 channel amp that Im going to have installed and later I will upgrade the fronts with components, 2 ways in the rear and sub. All probably from polk.
Old 10-24-13, 10:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

98-00 speaker sizes are somewaht different from '95-97 iirc. It's in a thread somewhere so double check.
Old 10-28-13, 04:39 AM
doggone
Driver School Candidate

I have a 95 ls with the pioneer radio , had to disconnect the battery to do the cam belt , now the radio is staying on sec , I have tried the push 1 and upper tune button , but nothing ,my partner filed my books in a safe place and she cant find them , I know there is a procedure before the push1 and upper tune button, but for the life of me I cannot remember , please could someone mail me the procedure. barryf@freeway.za.net
Old 11-03-13, 11:35 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Kenwood DDX470 replaces Nakamichi in 2000 LS400

The right channel of my Nak starting working intermittently about 10 days ago with the same symptom as in 2008 when Car Stereo Help in Florida re-soldered the balance control to fix the problem. The volume of the right channel would fade away, then stop working completely, and then would work perfectly for a day or two at a time.

This time I decided to give up on the Nak. I spent about $100 in 2012 to have an rear mounted aux-in and a front mounted on/off switch for it added (worked great) to the Nak but I'm though with groveling to get someone to even take a look to see if it can be repaired.

So, here is my $498 solution - not including taxes. $350 for the Kenwood at Best Buy, $14 for the Scosche dash kit from Amazon, $14 for a USB extension cable (I forgot to order a $5 one from Amazon) from MicroCenter and $120 for a Best Buy "Geek Squad" installation. I'm not counting the cheap 6 foot 3.5mm audio cable of which I have many.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would let a Best Buy installer touch one of my cars ... until I met installer and LS430 owner "Brad M." at the Best Buy store in Overland Park, Kansas - the one at 9301 Quivira Rd. He told me that he had installed a number of head units in Lexus cars but had never replaced a Nakamichi. I could tell that he wanted to see if he could do it.

So ... Brad connected the Kenwood's harness into the OEM harness leading to the Nakamichi amp under the passenger seat. All speakers including the subwoofer work. No wires were cut. The new setup does not have quite the "warmth" and seat vibrating bass the Nakamichi head unit provided but it is still sounds much better than the standard system in my first (1990) LS400, better than the optional JVC system we have in our 2012 Prius wagon and better than the audio system of any other car I've owned. I'll be playing with the Kenwood's equalizer to see if I can tune it more to my liking.

I could have likely done it for less than $300 by buying the Kenwood online and installing it myself. But in this case I am very happy with the bang for the buck.

The reason I bought the DDX470 is that it is the least expensive double-din Kenwood with Bluetooth audio streaming. I did not want a double-din with navigation for several reasons: * Mounting location would be too low in the dash for a nav unit. * I can easily update my Garmin four times per year for free. * I can use my Garmin in rental cars. * My Android phone sends address information to the Garmin wireless (Bluetooth) though the Garmin Smartphone Link app.

My Samsung phone links to both the Garmin (phone profile) and the Kenwood (mobile audio profile) at the same time. One nice aspect of using Pandora through the Kenwood instead of directly from my phone is that - so far - I'm not getting any video or audio advertisements from Pandora - just like it works in the Prius system.

I ran the USB and 3.5mm aux-in cables through the console to the upper console tray. The Kenwood's microphone is routed up the driver side A-piller and attached to the center light cluster. I doubt if I ever use the Kenwood's phone hands-free feature. I like the way the Garmin's hands-free feature works better since, unlike the Kenwood, it is not necessary to touch the Garmin to use voice activation.

I was surprised that my phone automatically displays "Pandora - Kenwood" when streaming is controlled from the Kenwood. There is no sign that Pandora is streaming from my phone when I control it from the Prius head unit.

This "should" be the last modification I do or have done to this car although maybe this will make me want to keep it a little longer than next year's planned replacement. Oh, wait! I could add a backup camera to the Kenwood for $20 or $30 and maybe an hour of my time. Maybe just one more project on this car.
Attached Thumbnails Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)-kenwood-ddx470-640x480.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 11-03-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-12-14, 10:18 PM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

i finally got to install my sub and amp
took me id say probably 2-3 hours maybe 4 total.

car is a 1990 LS400
my setup:
pioneer aftermarket indash
alpine amp
precision power sub w/ custom box (neighbor gave it to me, a heavy *** box probably 30-50LB including sub's weight)

next to do:
car speakers aftermarket ofc
alpine 4 channel amp

Difficult thing was putting back bottom cushion seats (had to get the hook in)
AND buying new RCA cables because the rca cables wouldnt fit in the holes provided behind the back seats, so i had to wire them to the sides next to the top seatbelt mount

if anyone ever have any questions regarding 1990 - 94 ls400 installation on subs or a headunit LMK!

Quick Reply: Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)