LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check engine light and Trac off light

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 06:14 AM
Jellopool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light and Trac off light

I just bought a Lexus LS400 139,000 miles on it. The private party owner has been driving it eight years. I asked many questions about it before I owned it and one them was does the check engine light work? His response was " The check engine light along with the Trac off come on periodically", he added " I have replaced several modules and it did not fix it" he goes on t say " I have discussed this with my mechanic and he said it was a built in glitch or bug with this year model and to ignore the lights when they come on." I have put 200 miles on this car and these two lights come on for no apparant reason and turn off for no apparant reason" supposedly there is nothing to do to fix this and its something I have to live with. I am asking the club members if they have has similar experience. I want to believe the salesman who owned the car but I must be diligent in getting a second or third opionion. THanks in advance, Jellopool
Old 05-01-08, 07:39 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jellopool
he goes on t say " I have discussed this with my mechanic and he said it was a built in glitch or bug with this year model and to ignore the lights when they come on." I have put 200 miles on this car and these two lights come on for no apparant reason and turn off for no apparant reason" supposedly there is nothing to do to fix this and its something I have to live with. I am asking the club members if they have has similar experience.
what year is the car? you're wise to seek another opinion, I've never heard of any such thing being a "live with it" issue.

if it's a 96+ go to Autozone and have them pull the code next time the check engine light comes up if it stays on long enough. does the engine run any differently at all when the codes come up? Do they ever happen at idle? At acceleration? while cruising? how long does it stay on?

did he tell you what "modules" he replaced?
Old 05-01-08, 12:14 PM
Jellopool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is year 1991. Before OBD 1. It does have a plug under dash for diagnostics but Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts are unable to check pre OBD model cars which means I would have to go to Lexus dealer and have it checked. Incidently I was there today and had a key made. Price was $82.99! Can you believe it? I asked how much it would cost to get a key with a transmitter on it so I would be able to arm/disarm factory alarm and unlock/lock doors. Quote was $650! Sticker shock man.

As far as the light goes apparently it is an engineering flaw. At least that what I am told. No change in performance when it comes on. It has a mind of its own and comes on at random times.
Old 05-01-08, 01:52 PM
nickhere
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jellopool
It is year 1991. Before OBD 1. It does have a plug under dash for diagnostics but Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts are unable to check pre OBD model cars which means I would have to go to Lexus dealer and have it checked. Incidently I was there today and had a key made. Price was $82.99! Can you believe it? I asked how much it would cost to get a key with a transmitter on it so I would be able to arm/disarm factory alarm and unlock/lock doors. Quote was $650! Sticker shock man.

As far as the light goes apparently it is an engineering flaw. At least that what I am told. No change in performance when it comes on. It has a mind of its own and comes on at random times.
I had the same problem with my 92. It was bad O2 sensors. I believe a code 25 was pulled. Replaced the sensors and problem gone.

After that the "Trac" light was constantly on in the center of the tach. I could hear the pump cycling on and off (more then 10x in a 5 minute period) this kicks the trac system out. I pulled the trac loc package out of the wheel well as best I could without disconnecting the brake fluid line and treated the O rings on the banjo fittings. Retorqued and all works like a champ.

Check Sewell Lexus parts online for the key. A better price will be found.