LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 10:40 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So where did you pick this kit up from? I'd definitely be willing to invest in one of those.
Old 03-05-08, 12:30 PM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
So where did you pick this kit up from? I'd definitely be willing to invest in one of those.
I got them in a group buy on one of the British SAAB forums. The guy imported them direct from the manufacturer. I paid roughly £110 or $220US for them. There is no minimum order so you could import a set yourself. These are generally much better quality than most of the budget HID kits, for example the picture of the kit posted earlier in the thread looks to be of lower quality than the otto kit.

Its the H4 Hi/Lo kit you're after, mine are 4300k and I find that they're plenty white enough.

Here's the manufacturers website: http://www.ottogz.com/en_products.asp?ClassID=256
Old 03-05-08, 12:42 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Anyone used these in a first gen? Seems like they'd have the best cutoff line and best high-beam functionality.

I've got the JDM headlights, so I believe H4 is what I'm looking for.
Old 03-05-08, 12:56 PM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Anyone used these in a first gen? Seems like they'd have the best cutoff line and best high-beam functionality.

I've got the JDM headlights, so I believe H4 is what I'm looking for.
Give me 5 minutes and I'll go out and take some pictures so that you can see what they're like on low and high beam.
Old 03-05-08, 01:33 PM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Ok, not the best but enough to give you an idea.

First, Low Beam with good cutoff either side.......................

High Beam................................

Frontal view, these bulbs are 4300k. I got these because they actually put more light on the road than 6000k or 8000k bulbs. Not a great photo but it shows the colour temp well, they are very white compared to OEM halogens and have a blue tint at startup......................

Old 03-05-08, 02:43 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Wow, thanks for taking those pictures! I forgot that the 96 LSes have the similar headlight housing to the first gens, and that looks like a pretty good cutoff line.

Highbeam functionality looks great too.. Thanks again for taking those pics, I'm sold. And for $220, the price is right.

Should I just e-mail that company directly? Do they sell directly and ship to the US?

Yeah I'm only interested in 4300K. I don't care that much about color, I'm upgrading to HID for increased light output.
Old 03-05-08, 02:49 PM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for taking those pictures! I forgot that the 96 LSes have the similar headlight housing to the first gens, and that looks like a pretty good cutoff line.

Highbeam functionality looks great too.. Thanks again for taking those pics, I'm sold. And for $220, the price is right.

Should I just e-mail that company directly? Do they sell directly and ship to the US?

Yeah I'm only interested in 4300K. I don't care that much about color, I'm upgrading to HID for increased light output.
No problem. They won't be as much as $220. The last I saw, they were selling them for $90 + shipping and they will sell and ship direct. If you have any problems with fitting them drop me a PM and I'll help you out.

High beam is outstanding and even on low beam, reflective road signs become neon bright. The best money I've spent on the car so far.
Old 03-05-08, 03:14 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Suneet I'd also like to get a pair for my '93 1LS. Let me know what you find out in terms of final cost and such.
Old 03-05-08, 08:20 PM
Spottty
Rookie

Ya let us know what you got them for. I want a set too!
Old 03-08-08, 09:54 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
huh? why would u need dual xenon on a 9006 setup? and 'sides, your 94 uses H4 headlights, not 9006.
For lows and highs and more importantly because he stated the bulb is properly shielded to yield a good/better cutoff line.

i did make a typo, My car has 9003 silverstars in it now, put them in myself, its what the pepboys thing listed for my car and they fit/looked identical to the bulbs i took out. not 9006's that i confused them with.

I was more asking about the style of bulbs with the full shields that adjusts for low and high beam giving a better cutoff because that seems to be the problem with HID's in first gens.
Old 03-08-08, 11:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by nosechunks
For lows and highs and more importantly because he stated the bulb is properly shielded to yield a good/better cutoff line.

i did make a typo, My car has 9003 silverstars in it now, put them in myself, its what the pepboys thing listed for my car and they fit/looked identical to the bulbs i took out. not 9006's that i confused them with.

I was more asking about the style of bulbs with the full shields that adjusts for low and high beam giving a better cutoff because that seems to be the problem with HID's in first gens.
H4=9003

thats why i asked since theres no such thing as a hi/low 9006
Old 03-09-08, 06:27 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross LS400
Ok, not the best but enough to give you an idea.

First, Low Beam with good cutoff either side.......................

Could you take a shot with the car facing a wall so that we could see the actual cutoff line.

The side cutoff lines are actually quite irrelevent normally.
What matters is the horizontal cutoff line that we would see on someone's back bumper if you were to be driving behind them for example.
Old 03-10-08, 04:01 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Show some pics against a wall.
Old 03-16-08, 05:06 AM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dfkd
Could you take a shot with the car facing a wall so that we could see the actual cutoff line.

The side cutoff lines are actually quite irrelevent normally.
What matters is the horizontal cutoff line that we would see on someone's back bumper if you were to be driving behind them for example.
I'll do that. Top cutoff and beam pattern is excellent also. Bear in mind that my cutoff goes up and to the left whereas yours will be up and right. I'll try to get this done later.
Old 03-16-08, 08:28 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i installed some 5000k's on my 92 and just adjusted my lights downward a little and it works great.....one thing i dont like about them is, i paid an extra 100 dollars to get the high beam model and when i turn the high beams on it just lifts the lighting up a little, theres not a huge difference, and my high beam signal on the dash doesnt come on to let me know they r on

Quick Reply: LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines